pueblo wipers - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2018, 08:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default pueblo wipers

hay guys get the word out. that there no white bass in pueblo, and when they kill a bunch of 7 to10 inch wipers they are killing 1 year old fish that can grow to 10 lbs in a few years. it was seen at the cleaning station that 3 guys had about 35 wipers 7 to 10 inches and thought they were white bass.

please try to get the word out this is the 3rd time I have heard this
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2018, 09:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

smh...... This is why regulations need changed ASAP!
Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2018, 06:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
smh...... This is why regulations need changed ASAP!
This is a pet peeve of mine.

When we had the original discussion in Montrose about the killing of Lakers in Blue Mesa because of the decline in Kokanee we brought up the issue of overharvesting of the kokes by unscrupulous folks on the lake. DOW knew there was a problem but said they couldn't change the regulations as they only reviewed the regs every four years (I think that is what I remember). Anyway they would not change the harvest rules because they said it wasn't time yet. (Never mind they already were salivating about getting the kill boats out on the lake but that is left for another discussion). However -

I served three years as the Chief Of Safety for an Air Force Wing. When there was an accident there was always an investigation into the cause. If there was an issue that was part of the cause of the accident it was changed asap. The Air Force didn't wait three years to address it - they dealt with it then and there. And I believe if I am not mistaken, the Air Force is kind of a government agency of sorts.

So if the Air Force or any other agency can make changes immediately when there is a problem why can't CDOW?
Pilotfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2018, 07:16 AM   #4 (permalink)

Man it burns me up to hear this.

So, some good news. In the last two meetings with the CPW on the subject of Pueblo regs, we got a lot of momentum on changing the regs to change the limit to 5 fish with only one over 21". The biologist there is a very nice person who has listened to anglers more than any I can remember. The original proposal was for reducing the limit to 10, but all of us made it clear that 10 really isn't a change from 20 because in MOST cases (clearly not this one) people aren't catching 10. Moving it to 5 would be a great move for the lake and this would then match the walleye reg.

The other big issue that was addressed was trying to influence the parks officers to start an enforcement program to stop the harvesting of undersized fish and/or over the limits. I mentioned that I've had my license checked dozens of times on the res, never once was I asked about my fish.

While none of this is a done deal, it is moving in a good direction thanks to people like Neal Wilkenson and Greg Austin. All I can ask is that folks speak up when this gets either more consideration or actually is taken before the board of directors. I am friends with one of the people on the board and it appears there is a lot of support from them on this issue.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

lol 7 to 10 inch isnt even big enough for white bass...pathetic...
Old 08-01-2018, 09:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

WTF
Old 08-01-2018, 09:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

10 inch Wipers taste a lot better than 10 pounders-
slayerfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2018, 01:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Could be worse:
http://www.iusarecords.com/ViewRecord.aspx?id=1062
rattman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2018, 07:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

In Pa. wipers had to be 20 inches to keep. The walleye had to be think 15 inches. We had few walleye . I like the walleye regulations it allows better walleye fishing here. Should raise the wipers size too
jackd1964 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2018, 07:19 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattman View Post
Lame, but definitely not worse.

I sure hope the regs get corrected soon and more importantly, I hope the rangers start actually enforcing the laws.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in