Warm-blooded imitations for trout - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2018, 02:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Warm-blooded imitations for trout

Anyone fish warm-blooded imitations for trout and if so how did they work?

I know castin mice has been popular with the fly crowd in recent years, but I haven't thrown them much yet... Time to change that!

pc screenshot
b.reelz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2018, 09:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

I have not casted an imitation like that but I did throw a real mouse into a lake full of large trout and they heartedly ate it. The mouse was in my canoe and I caught it and chunked it over board before it caused a commotion with the small kids whereby we would all have been trout bait!
Mtntop285 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2018, 03:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Pick up a Morrish mouse. They are my favorite and will catch fish. The hook up rate kinda sucks, but when they blow it up it is awesome!
madjas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2018, 07:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

Mtntop285: haha, funny story! Now where'd you say that lake filled with large mice-hungry trout was again!?

madjas: I've been meaning to tie a few of those Morrish mice; they look interesting. I'm also liking the looks of Whitlock’s mouse rat. Going to make a point to fish a few mice patterns this fall; hoping to see some top-water explosions!
Old 08-29-2018, 08:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

Hell yeah! Mouse flies are awesome. I like the Moorish Mouse myself. Almost time to get into some fall Browns!
troutbiscuits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2018, 11:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.reelz View Post
Anyone fish warm-blooded imitations for trout and if so how did they work?

I know castin mice has been popular with the fly crowd in recent years, but I haven't thrown them much yet... Time to change that!

pc screenshot
Most mice don't get in the water on purpose. But nobody said they were smart. The stripped tail is the right idea, but lose the weight. Mice are on the surface unless they are already a corps. The reason the Morrish mouse works so well is is that it is fished at night and just a silhouette on the surface for fish looking up. So even though fishing at night, black works just fine. Not sure as I feel confident "flailing" a large fly in the dark. Parts of my ear would probably be considered bait fishing.
P.S, the Guru 3 you sent me was perfect, as advertised. Thanks
chewydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2018, 07:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewydog View Post
Most mice don't get in the water on purpose. But nobody said they were smart. The stripped tail is the right idea, but lose the weight. Mice are on the surface unless they are already a corps. The reason the Morrish mouse works so well is is that it is fished at night and just a silhouette on the surface for fish looking up. So even though fishing at night, black works just fine. Not sure as I feel confident "flailing" a large fly in the dark. Parts of my ear would probably be considered bait fishing.
Thanks for the tips; including the advice against ear piercing!

For the record, those mouse patterns I posted in the pic do float. The head on the articulated shank is a reversed hard foam popper head; ultra buoyant. The body (on the hook) is foam treated with rainx and wrapped with squirrel hair.
The pattern looks good in the test tank; the rear body rides just a little lower than the head which seems to mimic a mouse trying to keep their head out of water... Of course the real test is out on the water.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in