Now is the time to buy a fishing boat - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2018, 12:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Now is the time to buy a fishing boat

Check Craigslist daily. There are deals to be had this time of year no matter what your price range! Be ready to deal with needed repairs and winter storage issues -- hey, that's why people are selling now.
albow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2018, 04:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm just going to buy something and have Hobie restore it for me....
Bionic Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2018, 10:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionic Man View Post
I'm just going to buy something and have Hobie restore it for me....

Sure shows what you can do with a little "elbow grease" and inspiration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2018, 11:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks. Yes, anyone can do it. Just takes a bit of time.
hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2018, 12:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

https://denver.craigslist.org/boa/d/...712983954.html

Bet this one could be picked up for cheap. Fiberglass is easy to patch and sounds like the rest is cosmetic.

https://denver.craigslist.org/boa/d/...712843539.html

This one is pretty sweet! Although for the of money I would want to look for one with a full windshield and maybe a little bigger. And if the other wood had to be replaced you wonder about the transom. . .

Last edited by albow; 10-02-2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

If anyone ever has to replace a transom, this product works great. I helped a buddy replace his transom and used it. Just pull out the old wood...we had to use an electric chainsaw, and then it's mix and pour after placing the fittings. Will never rot again. Solid as a rock.

https://www.transomrepair.net/
Old 10-03-2018, 05:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by albow View Post
https://denver.craigslist.org/boa/d/...712983954.html

Bet this one could be picked up for cheap. Fiberglass is easy to patch and sounds like the rest is cosmetic.
Captain's chair needed.... what is this guy talking about... I see one right there!

dallasdb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2018, 07:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Had a boat a lot like that one in the eighties and ninties...Did a whole lot of water skiing and fishing. Jim is on the left...Bryan on the right. Most stable boat you can find. Hard turns ...slides and stays flat. Had a lot of fun in that boat.

Last edited by hobiecat; 10-03-2018 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Interesting Hobie. I grew up with a Larson tri-hull that was a few years older than yours. Iím guessing your photo is very early 80ís. My folks had a 1974 - 1700 Shark. Lots of good memories of that boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bionic Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2018, 08:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Pretty cool. They were solid boats. Very kid friendly. Mine was a 74 1650 Larson Shark.

Have some great memories. Once, a bunch of my friends wanted to go fishing on Memorial Day. I mean a bunch. I thought five would be in the boat, but two friends, brought friends. I was the only guy they knew with a boat.

So, we went out fishing. Memorial Day is always good for fishing. People are sunburned, tired, dirty and packing up, ready to go home by Memorial Day.

Anyway, we're out on Pueblo and the rangers come driving up. Couldn't really blame them. Seven guys fishing in a sixteen and a half foot boat. Gotta be a violation there somewhere.

Well sure enough, the ranger boards the boat. She checks the fire extinguisher. "Not charged!" she said. I had another. She starts counting life jackets. Six adult jackets and two child. Uh oh. I hadn't accounted for the two friends of friends that came along. "One jacket short." She says, and then proceeds to runs wants and warrants on everyone in the boat and also checks our licenses. Some of you may remember this particular female ranger from Pueblo. Anyway, she writes me a ticket for $35 dollars. "Go get another life jacket." She says, as she pulls away.

Now, my buddy Lou says. "No biggie. seven of us, five bucks each." But, my buddy Chuck replies. "Nope! Dave. Your boat. Your problem."

We kept fishing and about an hour later, Chuck needs to pee. So, we pull up to midway island and he hops out. You can all see where this is going. He walks up the bank. While, I back out into the lake. He finishes up and shouts. "Hey! Hey! Come and get me." I simply reply. Nope. Sorry Chuck. My boat. Your problem." "I've got ten!" He yells. "Your five and mine." He's waving the money in his hand. I went and picked him up. After all, Cheap as Chuck always was. He was always a friend. And the story was well worth five bucks to me.

Oh, I've got a ton of stories. But they say, storytelling is for old men..

Last edited by hobiecat; 10-03-2018 at 08:36 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in