Use of braid with trout - Colorado Fishing Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2019, 03:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 11
Default Use of braid with trout

Hey everyone. So I primarily use mono line when I'm fishing for trout. However, I've been curious about using braid with a fluorocarbon leader, in case I catch something a little bit bigger than a trout in the lakes. Have any of you used this setup before? If you have, was it worth it?
direwulf21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-10-2019, 04:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,992
Default

truthfully most of us or should I say a lot of us use that set up, it is especially good for the deep water trout. only problem with braid is it absorbs water and often time freezes in cold conditions. I think the new ice fishing braids have solved most of that problem.
littlemac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2019, 04:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 11
Default

How long of a leader do yall use? And are yall using the double uni knot for it?
direwulf21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-10-2019, 04:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 18
Default

Yes, I think that is a good, common set up. Here are my thoughts, keep in mind there are a lot of good resources on this forum, google & u tube.


If you used mono on a spinning reel, braid will not have the twisting problems. I don't use a swivel at all.


One thing that isn't stressed enough is braid WILL CUT YOU BADLY. Be mindful when pulling braid, don't loop around fingers/hands !! ^^ Safety 1st.



Braid is so thin ( hence the cutting ) that I find < 15# too wispy & prone to tip wrap, & its really hard to see because it doesn't reflect light, so I use 15 # hi vis. It casts great.


It will also take alot more to spool up a reel, so I use 10# mono to initially fill the spool & top off w/75 -150 yds. of (8 carrier) braid tied to the mono via double uni knot. This will be a little difficult to do correctly. Research.


Flouro leaders -- Segaur, 6 - 8 # for trout, 5' -- double uni. Don't use cheap, & personally, I'll never use a palomer knot on flouro ever, ever again. Never.


There may be some getting used to, but if you try it, you may see why so many people like it.
Hans Finns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2019, 06:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
mriddell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 383
Default

If your only consideration is the very slim chance you hook up an unexpected big fish, I'd just stick with your current setup. With a little patience and luck, those big fish can be landed on lighter gear.


If you're trying to address other issues that braid would resolve, or just looking for stuff to spend money on, then go ahead.
mriddell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2019, 10:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Basalt
Posts: 906
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Finns View Post

If you used mono on a spinning reel, braid will not have the twisting problems. I don't use a swivel at all.
Braid can definitely get twisting problems, and when it does its ruined. To each there own, but I would always use a swivel.
Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2019, 10:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,616
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Finns View Post
Yes, I think that is a good, common set up. Here are my thoughts, keep in mind there are a lot of good resources on this forum, google & u tube.


If you used mono on a spinning reel, braid will not have the twisting problems. I don't use a swivel at all.


One thing that isn't stressed enough is braid WILL CUT YOU BADLY. Be mindful when pulling braid, don't loop around fingers/hands !! ^^ Safety 1st.



Braid is so thin ( hence the cutting ) that I find < 15# too wispy & prone to tip wrap, & its really hard to see because it doesn't reflect light, so I use 15 # hi vis. It casts great.


It will also take alot more to spool up a reel, so I use 10# mono to initially fill the spool & top off w/75 -150 yds. of (8 carrier) braid tied to the mono via double uni knot. This will be a little difficult to do correctly. Research.


Flouro leaders -- Segaur, 6 - 8 # for trout, 5' -- double uni. Don't use cheap, & personally, I'll never use a palomer knot on flouro ever, ever again. Never.


There may be some getting used to, but if you try it, you may see why so many people like it.
One other thing to add to the list;
It will ruin stainless steel eyelets... ceramic is a must!
ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2019, 07:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Windswept Plains of Colorado
Posts: 16,261
Default

I love braid for lures. I use 6 or 8 lb Nano it casts amazingly far. Leave mono on your spool to fill it up and give the braid something to stick to. Use a small barrell swivel tie a palomar for braid to swivel Then I use a clinch knot for the leader. my leaders are 2 ft maximum. Floro for leaders. For most plastics I use a 6lb floro leader. For most metal I use a 12 lb floro leader. Works well for me.
__________________
Love Me or Hate Me-
Rugged and Beautiful.
All Metal all the Time!
slayerfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2019, 11:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
redleader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,582
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Braid can definitely get twisting problems, and when it does its ruined. To each there own, but I would always use a swivel.
Never a swivel on my braid to floro connections, haven't had any twisting problems.
__________________
"Redleader standing by"
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2019, 11:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
redleader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,582
Default

2' leader and a swivel sounds simple and easy for panfish. For larger hard fighting fish I'd go with a minimum 10' leader and no swivels unless there on the end of the floro. I normally start with about 20' of leader so it lasts through multiple fishing trips of cutting and tying.
__________________
"Redleader standing by"
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
best braid for spinning reel? down2fish Colorado Fishing Lounge 39 04-09-2008 02:57 AM
Has anyone used power pro braid on a baitcaster? Setting up frog rod. McFish Colorado Fishing Lounge 15 01-30-2008 10:47 AM
Spiderwire Invisi-braid and Pline HALO tmuskyhunter Colorado Fishing Lounge 6 10-12-2007 09:09 PM
Suffix Braid? NeWcS Colorado Fishing Lounge 16 02-07-2007 11:38 AM
Stren Super Braid 3109elvis Colorado Fishing Lounge 2 10-18-2005 12:10 AM

» Forum Search
» Insurance
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL3
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.