First Boat. Any Advice? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2019, 06:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default First Boat. Any Advice?

Just picked her up. Plan on hitting Chatfield Friday morning to start breaking the motor in. Any general advice you old timers could throw my way would be amazing.

https://www.trackerboats.com/boat/ga...cfm?boat=4883#
roberts2727 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2019, 07:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Not to sure what advice your looking for, you already bought the boat. My advice i guess is the tools inside the boat and person it what catches the fish. Choose wisely when rigging the boat and study up on techniques, fish habits by species, and learn your electronics.
Micorps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2019, 07:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Don't forget the drain plug and the tie downs. Remember...boats don't have brakes. Always beware of other boaters. And as soon as you can, get a motor with spot lock...If it doesn't have one already. Learn to drive the boat on and off the trailer.
hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2019, 11:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Congrats on the new boat!

Practice backing up in an empty parking lot until you feel comfortable so you don't have trouble on the boat ramp.
albow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2019, 07:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

Dont take it to Spinney when the wind is gonna blow-
slayerfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2019, 11:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

Buy gas without ethanol.
Pathway is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2019, 12:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Don't sink it, remember to put the plug in.
Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2019, 12:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Be courteous to other people... turn off your main headlights (parking lights only) when loading/unloading at the ramp after dark... be aware of, and minimize your wake when moving past smaller watercraft or shore fisherman... give others their space unless you're combat fishing and everyone is on top of each other... don't cross too closely behind, or follow a boat that may be trolling... etc...
Check the prop frequently for line you may have picked up... it will ruin the seal and cost you later.
In general, use common sense and be respectful of others. There are a lot of us out there and not much water to utilize.
ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2019, 03:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have been boating for many years, and I have a pretty good routine down. I'll spell it out here, and hopefully you can learn from it.

When I get to the lake, I go straight to the boat ramp. Back down the ramp and stop at the edge of the water. That is when I start to get everything ready - you know, remove the cover, take tie downs off, load the cooler and fishing stuff into the boat. I make sure to take my time doing this, as you want to make sure you get everything right.

Once I have everything unloaded into the boat, I back it the rest of the way into the water. I then get in, and start the boat while it is still attached to the trailer. That way you know it will start and run. Don't worry about ever hooking the engine up to the muffs and the hose at home before you get to the lake. That is unnecessary.

If you are anything like me, you will likely forget the plug. So turn off the boat, pull it just up out of the water, and then let all the water drain out that filled the hull. Should only take 10 minutes or so, so there is no need to take it up to the parking lot.

Now that you have the plug in, back the trailer into the water again. Start the boat again. Let it warm up for 5 minutes or so on the trailer to know it is running strong. Once you have done this, you can move the boat over to the dock.

I like to tie up to the dock as close to shore as possible. Less of a walk back from the truck that way.

Speaking of the truck, it is now time to pull the trailer up to the parking lot. Obviously you leave your boat tied in close on the dock (engine running, stereo blasting) while you do this. Pull the truck up to the very top of the parking lot. That way you are less likely to have parking lot damage, and an easy escape once you leave for the end of the day (unless there is a handicapped spot available, then take that spot as no one ever really NEEDS those at the lake).

So, now you have the truck at the far end of the parking lot. Walk half way down the ramp before you remember that you didn't lock your truck, or left you phone up there. So walk (slowly) all the way back to the truck and check.

Once that has happened, you can take your time and walk back to the boat. No need to hurry, you don't want to over heat.

Now, you are back at the boat on the dock. If you haven't already, now is the time to put all your fishing poles together, pick out what your lures of choice is, etc. True fisherman make sure they have at least 5 rods per person, so make sure to get them all hooked up.

Now, you should be ready to head out on the water, so turn the boat around, and motor out to your choice of spot. My preferred speed, especially in the launch area, is somewhere around 2000 - 3000 RPMs. You know, enough to get the bow up, and make a nice, large wake. And get as close to those silly "no wake" bouys as you can, as the are fun to watch when they are hit by a big lake.

And remember, this advice is best to do on a busy holiday weekend. Memorial Day at Horsetooth/Boyd/Chatfield/Creek/Pueblo is the place you want to be.

Finally, if there is a storm coming in, make sure you take extra time to get everything right. No need to ever hurry.

Last edited by Bionic Man; 03-27-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Bionic Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2019, 04:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

What a small world! We seem to have crossed paths nearly every time I go out and I never realized it was you! You sure have a lot of different boats and tow vehicles! LoL
ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in