Boats - Page 3 - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2019, 12:32 PM   #21 (permalink)

Iím not sure if Valentine would service it or not. Iím just going by when I bought my Lund several years back. I almost bought a Crestliner with a Honda but when I researched it service was hard to find.

I have an 8 hp Honda kicker on my boat but i rarely use it and fortunately havenít needed to service it.

Boats in Colorado are just expensive. My guess is that all those listed here will probably sell before 5/1 at close to their asking price.

If youíre willing to travel a bit to Iowa the Dakotas or even sometimes Nebraska you can get more for your $$$.

As far as other Colorado boats, if I was in the market this Lund would be higher on my list than that crestliner - if he was negotiable.
https://denver.craigslist.org/boa/d/...864006031.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bionic Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2019, 01:02 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionic Man View Post
Iím not sure if Valentine would service it or not. Iím just going by when I bought my Lund several years back. I almost bought a Crestliner with a Honda but when I researched it service was hard to find.

I have an 8 hp Honda kicker on my boat but i rarely use it and fortunately havenít needed to service it.

Boats in Colorado are just expensive. My guess is that all those listed here will probably sell before 5/1 at close to their asking price.

If youíre willing to travel a bit to Iowa the Dakotas or even sometimes Nebraska you can get more for your $$$.

As far as other Colorado boats, if I was in the market this Lund would be higher on my list than that crestliner - if he was negotiable.
https://denver.craigslist.org/boa/d/...864006031.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I were to spend that kind of money on a 15 year old boat, I would just buy new, or slightly used. I bought a 2017 Alumcraft Competitor 165 Sport for $14K last year. I almost bought a 2 year old Crestliner Fish Hawk 1750 for $24K earlier this year. The extra $9K on that boat is well worth the money for a boat that is that much younger. And the current generation of Mercury 4 strokes are far more reliable than those older ones. I wouldn't pay $12K for the Crestliner I linked earlier either. That buyer isn't saying "Price is firm." I hope it isn't someone here trying to sell these boats. If it is, it's nothing personal. I have never bought a boat for more than book value, and it has served me well over the years. You have to be there first (or close to being first), with cash in hand and be willing to haggle though.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:07 PM   #23 (permalink)

I drove up to Loveland this am and bought that Lund.

It's pristine and the age didn't bother me. I really like that model and the color. Great fisherman selling it, and it's been well maintained. So I guess that means my old Monarch may be for sale soon. Unless I can transplant the kicker. . .
albow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2019, 02:15 PM   #24 (permalink)

That's a really nice boat Alan. Perfect size for Colorado. Great buy!
hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2019, 02:20 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by albow View Post

It's pristine and the age didn't bother me. I really like that model and the color. Great fisherman selling it, and it's been well maintained. So I guess that means my old Monarch may be for sale soon. Unless I can transplant the kicker. . .
For real? If so, congrats! On the color: my wife wanted a blue boat. I wanted graphite metallic. We settled for white.

Last edited by aofisher; 04-12-2019 at 02:23 PM.
aofisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2019, 02:28 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:

Old 04-12-2019, 02:32 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aofisher View Post
If I were to spend that kind of money on a 15 year old boat, I would just buy new, or slightly used. I bought a 2017 Alumcraft Competitor 165 Sport for $14K last year. I almost bought a 2 year old Crestliner Fish Hawk 1750 for $24K earlier this year. The extra $9K on that boat is well worth the money for a boat that is that much younger. And the current generation of Mercury 4 strokes are far more reliable than those older ones. I wouldn't pay $12K for the Crestliner I linked earlier either. That buyer isn't saying "Price is firm." I hope it isn't someone here trying to sell these boats. If it is, it's nothing personal. I have never bought a boat for more than book value, and it has served me well over the years. You have to be there first (or close to being first), with cash in hand and be willing to haggle though.
So, now that Alan sniped that Lund........

I'd say it was a pretty fair deal. I have never purchased a new fishing boat, so I really don't know what the "true" price is. But, judging from this newish Lund, they are more than I would want to spend.
https://denver.craigslist.org/boa/d/...859097447.html

I'm not sure what the real differences are in the motor - that is a pretty big variable. But I think that the actual boat between the one Alan bought and this one are pretty similar. And, at half the price, it gives you a lot of room to upgrade electronics and trolling motor should you need it.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:55 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionic Man View Post
So, now that Alan sniped that Lund........

I'd say it was a pretty fair deal. I have never purchased a new fishing boat, so I really don't know what the "true" price is. But, judging from this newish Lund, they are more than I would want to spend.
https://denver.craigslist.org/boa/d/...859097447.html

I'm not sure what the real differences are in the motor - that is a pretty big variable. But I think that the actual boat between the one Alan bought and this one are pretty similar. And, at half the price, it gives you a lot of room to upgrade electronics and trolling motor should you need it.
The Tyee is a step above the Fisherman. I think a more comparable boat today would be the Crossover. You would still be looking at about $40K brand new. Personal preference and I am not going to say anything that would make Albow's new purchase sound like it was a bad decision, just to justify my own way of thinking. I'm not that petty. I would say that I looked hard at used boats in the last couple of years and decided to just buy new. The Alumacraft I bought last year was not bad, and a steal. I made $2K on reselling, after putting a dent on it (at Boyd; it hit the the dock while I went to get the my car). It had a 90 HP Honda and got to 37 mph, which was not great, but met my minimal requirement. It was just too small for a family of 5. Fast forward to the used Crestliner I looked at this year this year: it would have been just a little below book. I would have saved about $13K. But:

1. I got a slightly bigger boat
2. Set up the way I wanted it
3. With more power
4. Warranty for a longer period of time (and I am not good with mechanical stuff, nor do I enjoy that kind of work)

Personal preference.

Last edited by aofisher; 04-12-2019 at 02:58 PM.
aofisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2019, 06:21 PM   #29 (permalink)

Thanks guys! I'm glad I was able to get it.

I had called and talked to the seller yesterday just a few minutes after he posted it. When I met him today he told me he hadn't known how to price the boat and there were seven other people with cash in hand who had called after me and wanted it if the deal fell through; including one who was ready to drive down from Cheyenne last night. "But I told you I'd save it for you because you called first and I'm a man of my word." I could tell that he meant it. Probably early 70's and with men of that generation I find that a handshake or a promise is taken seriously.

"Fisherman" and "Tyee" are the same. They are built as "Great Lakes style" boats with high sides which catch the wind but I'd rather have that and be able to stay dry and have less chance of dogs and people (myself included) falling over board. Some come rigged more for "family" use like towing skiers or inflatables. "Crossover" is new and may be also the same boat; you could ask Lund. I was told by Royce (Lund salesman at Crowley) that serious fishermen wear appropriate raingear and expect to get splashed. They prefer a Pro V or bass style boat where the wind washes over them and they are more able to hold a track.

Only concerns I have at this point is that I may have to add a kicker, and at 17 feet it's smaller than I'm used to. I'm thinking power to weight ratio will be just fine and it will be so much easier to handle pushing it around on my own.
albow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2019, 06:30 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks guys! I'm glad I was able to get it.

I had called and talked to the seller yesterday just a few minutes after he posted it. When I met him today he told me he hadn't known how to price the boat and there were seven other people with cash in hand who had called after me and wanted it if the deal fell through; including one who was ready to drive down from Cheyenne last night. "But I told you I'd save it for you because you called first and I'm a man of my word." I could tell that he meant it. Probably early 70's and with men of that generation I find that a handshake or a promise is taken seriously.

"Fisherman" and "Tyee" are the same. They are built as "Great Lakes style" boats with high sides which catch the wind but I'd rather have that and be able to stay dry and have less chance of dogs and people (myself included) falling over board. Some come rigged more for "family" use like towing skiers or inflatables. "Crossover" is new and may be also the same boat; you could ask Lund. I was told by Royce (Lund salesman at Crowley) that serious fishermen wear appropriate raingear and expect to get splashed. They prefer a Pro V or bass style boat where the wind washes over them and they are more able to hold a track.

Only concerns I have at this point is that I may have to add a kicker, and at 17 feet it's smaller than I'm used to. I'm thinking power to weight ratio will be just fine and it will be so much easier to handle pushing it around on my own.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in