Installing 24v Trolling Motor on boat with 12v system - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2019, 10:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Installing 24v Trolling Motor on boat with 12v system

My buddy is about to buy a 16' tracker that currently has a 42# 12v MK powerdrive on it. The boat currently has 2 batteries: (1) one for the main motor, and (2) one for the 12v trolling motor. He wants to install a 80# MK Terrova 24v, but the dealer is telling him its too complicated and that installing a 24v trolling motor on the system he currency has now would create endless electrical problems.

I'm calling BS.

Does anyone have experience with this?
Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2019, 10:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

As long as he has adequate wire/plug/switch size to carry 24v and room to install a 2nd battery to power the TM (don't recommend using starting battery for anything but starting) it's cake to do. And he should speak to the service mgr. and not the salesman.

Last edited by ghostman; 04-19-2019 at 10:34 AM.
ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2019, 10:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

Even if he has to upgrade the wire size etc. it isn't really all that tuff if he is mechanically inclined.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2019, 11:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

It sounds so easy, even AO could do it! I remember seeing a Youtube video review on a 16 ft Tracker boat earlier this year when I was (re)visiting my boat options. . I think this is it: https://youtu.be/DvNHoPV8osk
If my memory serves, the guy mentions the challenges of mounting a second battery because the boat is not set up to have 2 trolling motor batteries. The space where the trolling motor is located is tight. That maybe the biggest challenge. I don't see how it is insurmountable though. If there is a will...

PS: I just viewed the video really quickly. About 9 minutes into it, the guy talks about the challenges of mounting 2 batteries on a tracker V16. The location of the battery is between two storage spaces. Its is confined and the shape of the bow is preventing is such that mounting two batteries easily. His fix was to push one battery all the way to one side and mount as second, smaller battery due to space constraints. Seems doable.

Last edited by aofisher; 04-19-2019 at 11:48 AM.
aofisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2019, 11:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

That's the same boat AO. I think you could definitely make it work,after finding a spot for a second battery.

I'll tell him to ask for the service manager. It seems ridiculous to me that a marina in Grand Junction would tell him something so simple couldn't be done. Maybe I don't understand all the facts. My friend did tell me that he was talking to the salesman.
Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2019, 12:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
That's the same boat AO. I think you could definitely make it work,after finding a spot for a second battery.

I'll tell him to ask for the service manager. It seems ridiculous to me that a marina in Grand Junction would tell him something so simple couldn't be done. Maybe I don't understand all the facts. My friend did tell me that he was talking to the salesman.
Where there's a will... Yeah, the salesman wants to sell him the higher priced boat that comes equipped w/the 24v system.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

It is also possible to mount the bat's somewhere else and run the wires to the TM in the front... as long as you upgrade the wire to carry the load over the given distance.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

From a financial standpoint, if he doesn't need the foot pedal, he would be better off buying this and installing it himself: https://mk.factoryoutletstore.com/de...gitemid=497422

Battery chargers are usually cheaper online too.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Even Better deal after their current 10% off sale:
https://www.russellmarineproducts.co...n.htm?CartID=1
https://www.russellmarineproducts.com/Default.asp
$1,305 for a a brand new Terrova 80 with I-Pilot. Wife said I've been shopping too much lately...
Old 04-19-2019, 02:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostman View Post
Even if he has to upgrade the wire size etc. it isn't really all that tuff if he is mechanically inclined.
When switching from a 12V system to a 24V system you don't need to upgrade your wire. Wire size is determined by the load amperage and when voltage goes up amperage goes down conversely, Ohm's law. So a motor using 24V would use one half of the amps as the same size motor using 12V.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in