Colorado Fishing Forum

Colorado Fishing Forum (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php)
-   Colorado Fishing Lounge (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   johnson outboard service (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161221)

racer 04-24-2019 10:21 AM

johnson outboard service

Looking to have a water pump serviced on my `77 35 H.P. Johnson outboard. Any suggestions ?? No, I won`t ever go back to Vintage Outboard in Arvada . I`m in the Denver metro area.

Thanx, Jeff

Bionic Man 04-24-2019 11:04 AM

Try the Boat Shop in Commerce City. I don't think they have a web page.

6980 Highway 2, Commerce City, CO 80022
(303) 287-2788

slayerfish 04-25-2019 08:17 AM

DIY? Its pretty easy really-

lovetofish 04-26-2019 12:17 AM

Crowley Marine works on Johnson Outboards.

racer 04-29-2019 03:42 PM

Thanx guys. I have a workshop manual and I am a mechanic so that is a good option. Would just like to have someone do it quickly. I`d guess the labor to be about an hour plus parts. Best Marine in Arvada said they couldn`t get to it for a couple of months and they did not call me back to let me know if they had a parts kit in stock. A recommended repair shop in Aurora had waaaay too many complaints so that one`s out. Boat Shop`s mail box is full...... in Commerce City. I will try Crowley Marine. Thanx again !

Bionic Man 04-29-2019 04:20 PM

Really hard to get anyone to look at a boat quickly, especially this time of year.

My other recommendation would be Inlet Bay up at Horsetooth. Bruce always took care of me when I had my old boat. But I had a really strong relationship with him. And I know he is next to impossible to get on the phone.

racer 04-29-2019 04:47 PM

Yep, wrong time of year to get something done quickly. Heading up to Minnesota in a couple weeks after leaving the boat dormant for a couple years. Ran fine when I shut it off but now no water coming out of the by-pass or exhaust with a hose set-up, crap! I will probably dunk the lower end in a reservoir and let it really soak before starting again and then probably resorting to disassembly if still dry.

ghostman 04-29-2019 04:58 PM

Run a small diameter wire down the pee tube. Lot's of times bugs will lay eggs and pack it with mud.

racer 04-30-2019 01:53 PM

Yep, been there-done that ! Darren at Crowley did return my call ! Nice guy, but doesn`t work on the older motors like mine. I ordered a rebuild kit this morning so I`m in it with both feet . Ill keep ya posted. Thanx for all the suggestions.

racer 06-04-2019 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racer (Post 2078377)
Yep, been there-done that ! Darren at Crowley did return my call ! Nice guy, but doesn`t work on the older motors like mine. I ordered a rebuild kit this morning so I`m in it with both feet . Ill keep ya posted. Thanx for all the suggestions.

Got the job done myself... not an easy thing to do ( reassembling the lower unit to the top was a bear ). I think I walked away from it about 4 times as I became frustrated trying to do with 2 hands what 4 hands was really needed. But..... I know the right words and finally it went back together. Thanks for the encouragement .