Would you buy a sterndrive fishing boat? - Colorado Fishing Forum

View Poll Results: Would you buy a sterndrive fishing boat?
Yes, if it was the right boat 5 20.83%
No, only would be interested in an outboard 15 62.50%
Maybe 2 8.33%
I'm not interested in any fishing boat. 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2019, 04:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Would you buy a sterndrive fishing boat?

Just trying to get an idea of the market. I know there are some sterndrive fishing boats out there, but I don't see them too often.

So, if you were in the market for a boat, would you consider a sterndrive if someone showed you how to easily winterize it? And I mean a real fishing boat, not something you could use for fishing.

Link for reference to what type of boat I am talking about.

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/55735037
Bionic Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2019, 07:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

What are the advantages, if any?
slayerfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2019, 09:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

I like outboards because they are easy to maintain and access. If something goes wrong, all you have to do is pop off the hood and see what's up (I realize its not always that easy, but you get the point). Access is much more difficult for a stern drive.
Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2019, 09:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have not been in an I/O since I was a youngman I grew up fishing/skiing with one and they were more trouble free than an outboard at the time (late 70's). Now days OB engines are relatively trouble free.

The engine compartment takes up more room in your boat, which might mean going to the next size larger. Takes more water to float your boat also.
ColoGregS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2019, 11:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

I had a stern drive for years. I wouldn't recommend owning one in Colorado if you fish early and late into the season. Having to drain the boat at the lake is a pain in the butt before driving home early or late in the season.

As far as access. It was easy on my boat. Two latches and lift the cowl. Maintenance was simple plugs, points, condenser. Just a little Chevy motor with plenty of room to work. Changing the oil without a simple retrofit was a pain in the butt. But, I added a fitting to the drain plug with a hose ..allowing the oil to be drained through the transom plug rather than having to pump it out.

It was also nice knowing that any part you needed for the motor was easily found at any auto parts store. Yes, I had to change points at the lake a couple of times when one of my drivers would forget and leave the key turned to the on position frying the points. But nothing a screwdriver and a matchbook wouldn't fix. After the first time, I carried an extra set in the boat.

It was nice not having a motor in the way in the back of the boat when fishing and skiing.

Would I own one again. Not in Colorado.

Last edited by hobiecat; 04-30-2019 at 11:32 AM.
hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2019, 01:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to earplug Send a message via Yahoo to earplug

Used to see a Lund Baron often at Pueblo. If you lived near the water and had a heated garage it might work out.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayerfish View Post
What are the advantages, if any?
Good question. The answer was easier a few years back when most outboards were smaller horsepower and 2 strokes. It wasn't that long ago that 300 HP was the most you could get in an outboard, and anything over about 115 HP was very expensive. Then the advantage was clearly with a sterndrive, where the lowest HP available was an 3.0 I4 with 130 HP, and you could get to 300 pretty easily (and relatively cheaply) with a 5.7 MAG.

Some things don't change as much. The way I see it, sterndrives are quieter than an outboard. Both at idle, and especially when they are running down the lake. They have longer strokes and a heavier fly wheel that allow them to develop more torque than an outboard. They run at a lower RPM. Parts may be easier to find and are less expensive. Service may be easier - you could have a car mechanic work on it should you need to. All sterndrives are 4 stroke - no messing with pre-mix or worrying about the oil injection pump going out, quiet, much less exhaust fumes.

Less important to fisherman, another advantage to a sterndrive is that if you are spending time in the water, the outdrive/motor is a bit less intrusive. Especially true for a boat with a swim platform on it.

To me, the biggest advantage to a outboard, especially true with fisherman who use the boat 3 (or 4) seasons, is that there is really nothing to do to winterize. Put it vertical, let the water drain out, and you are done.

I had a 350 Merc in a boat, and to winterize it, you had to pull 4 drain plugs on the engine. I could do it in less than 2 minutes, but it was an extra step. I have a friend with a 4.3, and he has told me there is one plug and some sort of a pump built in to quickly pump the water.

I'm not trying to convince anyone one way or another. Just trying hear other peoples opinions.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

New 4stroke outboards are so quiet you can hardly hear them idling, they just keep getting better, Suzuki 350 has dual props. Clean boat but not many good reasons to go sterndrive on a fishing boat, let alone one from the 80's.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

I've never had one.
A small block, 4 or 6 cylinder hooked to an out drive so cheaper to repair.
The out drives need seals and rebuilds.

The weight would help with rough water but mean more to tow especially a small block V8.

Ideal set up for pulling skiers.
The torque and low RPM's would be great.

Use your head for more than a hat rack
The older I get, the better I was.
snagged up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2019, 07:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

Default Would you buy a sterndrive fishing boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redleader View Post
New 4stroke outboards are so quiet you can hardly hear them idling, they just keep getting better, Suzuki 350 has dual props. Clean boat but not many good reasons to go sterndrive on a fishing boat, let alone one from the 80's.

The newer big 4 stroke outboards have taken a lot of the arguments away. They are even close in cost now. Looks like that 350 Suzuki is about $22k vs a MerCruiser 6.2 and Bravo 1 outdrive at $19500.

Torque and RPM is still different. But more than adequate with the big Zuke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in