i-pilot vs pinpoint gps - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2019, 04:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default i-pilot vs pinpoint gps

It's time for a new bow mount troller and after all the gushing reviews on here I feel like I'll be a pariah on CFF if I don't outfit the old money pit with an I-pilot..

Honestly I can see the benefits of GPS location lock, so the real question is if there is a concise preference between the Motorguide pinpoint gps or the MK I-pilot version and why.

Throw your thoughts out there fellas..

pistoldog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2019, 04:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

The spot lock function on the previous generation i-pilot would not hold your boat in as small of a radius as the pinpoint GPS on the Motorguide. I think Minn Kota solved that. I have used both the old and new generation on the Minn Kota i-pilot. This year, I went with the Motorguide for the simple reason that I prefer Lowrance electronics. The Motorguide motor will “talk” with the Lowrance HDS fish finders. Here is a summary of pros and cons for the MotorGuide Pinpoint GPS:

Pros:
1. A little cheaper than Minn Kota
2. Will talk with Lowrance HDS

Cons:
1. The remote control does not have an LCD screen, which is OK in itself, but it also means that you don’t have a display of the speed at which your boat is moving.
2. The link features between Minn Kota and Hummingbirds are better. You can tell your trolling motor to follow a contour on a map on the Minn Kota / Hummingbird combo. You cannot do that with the Motorguide / Lowrance combo. You can tell it to follow a track and go to a point, but it won’t follow a map contour.

If you are buying used (I should say Minn Kota motor older than 2017), I would go with the Motorguide. If new, the Minn Kota has an edge. I just didn’t want to switch brand on the fish finder. Not having the speed displayed on the remote has not been an issue for me yet. I haven't done any trolling so far with it. But it could become an issue on those rare occasions when I do.

Last edited by aofisher; 05-01-2019 at 04:33 PM.
aofisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2019, 04:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

The general consensus is that Motorguide has a more precise spot lock, but MK's new motors are supposed to be just as good if not better.

As for using spot lock, it's a priceless feature. Using your electronics and trolling motor you can get directly on top of fish or structure and start catching fish immediately. If I'm jigging/slipbobbering/dropshotting I don't fish unless I'm right on top of them. It's great.
Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2019, 06:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks fella's.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistoldog View Post
It's time for a new bow mount troller and after all the gushing reviews on here I feel like I'll be a pariah on CFF if I don't outfit the old money pit with an I-pilot..

Honestly I can see the benefits of GPS location lock, so the real question is if there is a concise preference between the Motorguide pinpoint gps or the MK I-pilot version and why.

Throw your thoughts out there fellas..

Thanks for asking the question, I am in a quandary over which way to go also. I am leaning towards the MG because of the Lowrance issue.
ColoGregS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2019, 09:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

I appreciate this as well. Upgrading boats, I will be in the market soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bionic Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2019, 11:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

I've got a 24volt motor guide on my 19'er that is the shit, instantly holds position well. A 36 volt minnkota on my 23' saltwater boat that I mainly use the anchor mode on, it seems to struggle a little but most likely due to heavier boat, currents etc. Can't go wrong with either.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

Leaning heavy towards the MotorGuide.

Thanks again fellas for your input!
Old 05-10-2019, 01:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

First round of "stuff" ordered this week, some arriving today woo hoo!

It's gonna be a process over the next month to get it all bought and hooked up.

Lowrance and Motorguide with the link...

Thanks to all of you that helped, both on the forum, with PM's and via telephone and email.

You know who you are!

Thanks !!
Old 05-16-2019, 10:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Lowrance is putting its own branded motor soon. Not sure what it might offer over the others. Just something to keep in mind
NeWcS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in