Side Imaging sonar. - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2019, 11:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Side Imaging sonar.

Along with the new troller it's time to upgrade the sonar.

I see side imaging as a feature all the manufacturer's offer and the experts on you tube all gush about how handy side imaging is.

I'm leaning towards the Lowrance Elite series to tie into that Motorguide and they include it, but was wondering if anyone here has personal opinions and experience they'd care to share about using side imaging.

Cheers!

PD
pistoldog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2019, 12:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Although I have owned a couple of fish finders with side imaging on two different boats, I have not used side imaging very extensively. I am not a very technical angler, nor am I very patient with the technical side of fishing. I believe fishing should be a fun activity, not a science. I know, I know, it’s more fun when you use your electronics to help you catch fish… I use my electronics mainly to give me an idea of where fish are, and how deep they are. There’s been times when side imaging has helped me find structure and fish, but the following fishing sessions were not always successful. I think my problem may have been going back to the exact spot where I saw the fish on the side imaging. I've always struggled to go back to those spots after I see them on side imaging. With 2D imaging, you only have to worry about how far back it was. With side imaging, you have to think about how far back and left or right. You can mark a GPS coordinate on your fish finder but you still have to go back and find that point. Too much work for me...

Linking the trolling motor with the fish finder would solve much of the problem with going back to s pot you saw on side imaging. You can mark the spot where you saw fish, and have your fish finder make your trolling motor go to that spot. That’s the next investment on my list. You will need 2 components for MotorGuide: the MotorGuide Gateway Kit and the NMEA starter kit. This thread has good information on the topic: http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=783409

Size does matter when it comes to side imaging, or so I have heard/read. Most people are saying 9” or larger. I started with a 7” screen. Side imaging is pretty small on it. The plan is to acquire a second 9” or 12” screen next year.

PS: you all must be wondering how I have all this information? When I research things, I email myself the links and relevant notes, so I don't have to do it again.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

You're an interesting fellow, Ao...
ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2019, 04:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks AO, I appreciate your input.

My thoughts mostly mirror yours so you helped validate my line of thinking.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Finally got my side-imaging unit ordered. Can't wait to use it. I've had down-imaging units that help tremendously. Now with adding a side-imaging unit up front it will provide a better "picture" what is around the boat especially in shallower water. Toyed with getting Panoptics Live-Scope but wasn't thoroughly convinced the extra $$$$ would make that big of a difference. Plus, in a few more years something else will come out and make it obsolete anyway. That's how the world of electronics works.. tomorrow there will be something bigger and better.

I agree with AO on bigger is better with screen sizes. Clarity/detail on a bigger screen is huge. I purchased the boat with a 7" DI unit on the back and paid for a 9" "Plain Jane" on the front which was supposed to have SI but somehow they F%&ked up my investment. The 7" gives a nice image of structure. But, I have been on boats that have had 10"s or larger and they blow my 7" away with the ability to see details in structure way clearer. So, now I bit the bullet and purchased what was supposed to be installed initially (did I mention Crowley Marine sucks a$$?). There is definitely a big difference in what you see and and how clear it is on a bigger screen. With my "old" eyes the bigger screen makes life a lot easier for sure. While it won't catch fish for you; good electronics will allow you to pinpoint where they are for sure without wasting time.

Last edited by Ninja; 05-04-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2019, 08:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks Ninja!
Old 05-04-2019, 09:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

Yep Mark like we talked about going to spots with the link between Motorguide/Lowrance and AO mintioned on side imaging for structure and fish...touch the screen on side imaging to get a cursor or create a way point and click go to cursor/waypoint and an on screen prompt will pop up Engage Autopilot in Nav. Mode? Touch Y and the Motorguide will turn and go to the spot...you can also scroll back in regular sonar or down imaging sonar on a group of fish or structure and place a cursor or waypoint and go to that spot with the same process...call me if you have question and there are a ton of You tube videos on the subject...that link between the trolling motor and the finder unit ranks up there with spot lock as the greatest thing since female anatomy...advanced boat control so simple I can handle it...flawlessly...effortless...the time I used to spend keeping the boat on fish or structure or searching all gone...the day is now 99% fishing...
Old 05-04-2019, 09:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
the day is now 99% fishing...
and hopefully catching.

Don't sell yourself short Z. You have a ton of knowledge when it comes to electronics. You've helped me a ton. I will need some more tutoring on my new gadget when we go out for your birthday but I'm sure we can find some of what you were asking about. Check your text messages.... That's from yesterday.
Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2019, 09:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

Yeppers saw it...tried to call you...no answer good work on those fish...lol I need some for a neighbor that turned my day from bleak to great...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in