Colorado Fishing Forum

Colorado Fishing Forum (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php)
-   Colorado Fishing Lounge (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   More Than Half Way through my Journey (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161341)

aofisher 05-20-2019 08:39 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks, folks!

Every time I go to Florida, I am reminded that anglers down there heavily favor bait fishing. I am partial to jerkbaits. A lot of people give me plenty of hints that "that shit don't work." The captain was telling me that artificials don't work there. There was reason why they don't use that stuff. After he said that, I caught a jack, a barracuda, and a couple of hogfish. The skipper said he couldn't believe I was catching hogfish on that. The next day, the skipper threw one of our rods with one of my lures tied on. We caught one of the mahi-mahis on that, and as many tunas as we caught on the other squid lures they were using. There's definitely times and places where bait is a must. For other occasions, I enjoy throwing lures.

aofisher 05-20-2019 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redleader (Post 2079143)
Nice Snook, not sure about those Tuna heads, lol.

Ha! It was for the sake of a friend back in Colorado. He had seen a TV show about a chef whose specialty was grilled tuna heads. I was fulfilling his dream for him. :) My thoughts on the tuna heads: it's OK. It would probably taste better if it slow cooked until the meat just falls apart. I tried the eyeball and it's very gooey. Too much gelatin in those giant eyeballs...

pistoldog 05-20-2019 08:53 AM

Happy BD AO, hope you got some good shirts!

Great pics here too by the way.

slayerfish 05-20-2019 09:20 AM

45? Freekin kid- SMH

Dakota 05-20-2019 10:04 AM

Happy Birthday. Those are some slabs!

aofisher 05-20-2019 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slayerfish (Post 2079171)
45? Freekin kid- SMH

Hey, I was an early bloomer. Hung out with "kids" old enough to legally buy liquor in the US since I was 14. I'm at least a 50 biologically. :p :D

hobiecat 05-20-2019 01:36 PM

AO, The last two years in Florida, I caught snook, tarpon, bass, warheads, gar, Peacock Bass and Red tail cats. All caught on the only bait I brought with me. 3/8ths jigs and 4 inch white Sassy shads. Mind you it was all canal fishing. Everyone I saw fishing was using bait. Met a couple guys out on the highway between Naples and Miami. Great guys. Spent a day fishing with them along the Tamiami canal as they showed me their spots. By the end of the day...They were fishing Sassy Shads instead of bait.

hobiecat 05-20-2019 01:39 PM

Friends from Miamihttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...acdb7defaf.jpg

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

aofisher 05-20-2019 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hobiecat (Post 2079195)
AO, The last two years in Florida, I caught snook, tarpon, bass, warheads, gar, Peacock Bass and Red tail cats. All caught on the only bait I brought with me. 3/8ths jigs and 4 inch white Sassy shads. Mind you it was all canal fishing. Everyone I saw fishing was using bait. Met a couple guys out on the highway between Naples and Miami. Great guys. Spent a day fishing with them along the Tamiami canal as they showed me their spots. By the end of the day...They were fishing Sassy Shads instead of bait.

That's cool! I think the bait thing is a combination of ingrained habits and the fact that bait can be almost free (if you catch it yourself).

Oyey 05-20-2019 03:37 PM

First off, Happy birthday, buddy! I hope you have a very very nice second half! Next, would you mind telling me what hat that is your father in law is wearing? Looks lightweight with a good neck cover! I need that hat! I am a lover of good hats.

I hope you have a good year, AO!