Colorado Fishing Forum

Colorado Fishing Forum (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php)
-   Colorado Fishing Lounge (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Lure fishing on Platte near Deckers (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161489)

royaljosh 06-29-2019 10:28 AM

Lure fishing on Platte near Deckers

I've been fishing in the northern and central part of the state for over 20 years now, but yesterday I finally took the 2.5 hours needed to drive to Deckers after reading about it for years. I've been lure fishing since I was a kid and have never learned how to fly fish or had the money to get into it. I pretty much do everything else the same, waders, rock shoes, the normal fly fisherman's garb. I also prefer being in rougher water with rocks and trees, instead of the big flat stretches that I see the fly fisherman in. Started fishing at 7am after my drive which started at 4am, I made absolute sure I was in the public parts of the water. At 715 a truck stopped on the road, 2 guys got out and implied that it was "not cool" to be lure fishing where I was at, I didn't argue with them and said sorry, reeled in, and figured I was in a spot that was taboo to be fishing at. I drove downstream another 10 minutes, so I was a bit from Deckers now. I triple checked that I was in an acceptable place to fish and found a spot in between two flat water areas, both had fly-fisherman setup in the flats, but I found a bend where I wasn't in view of anyone and had some rocks to fish around. It was 930 at that point and another older guy pops his head out from above me, he was walking the road, and told me that I wasn't allowed to be fishing with lures in this water. I'm not a confrontational guy and I fish by myself, and I seriously was not interested in a day where I was offending other fisherman. I had some hits but had caught no fish so it wasn't like I was reducing the available allotment, and I decided to leave after the 2nd guy approached me. In total I spent over 5 hours driving and fished for 2.5 hours. The signs very clearly state artificial flies and lures only, but I feel like I was violating more of an unspoken rule, I was using plain rooster-tail spinners. Is this normal? I feel like I've gotten weird looks before fishing with a lure in my waders, but I've never had multiple fly-fisherman say something to me. I probably saw 40-50 fly-fisherman and clearly no other lure guys Sorry, if this is seems more like a vent, really I'm just trying to figure out if I am actually doing something wrong, I spent the whole drive home regretting not asking why I wasn't supposed to be lure fishing.

albow 06-29-2019 12:53 PM

You are doing nothing wrong and rooster tails work great there. The "rule" against lure fishing is implied but I'm surprised you got more than just dirty looks. If you want to you can glare right back and spin fish those waters pretty well with various flies on a leader off of a clear plastic bubble. Google "Fly and a bubble" technique. Works great with Pistol Petes.

A fly rod setup doesn't cost that much and you know it's not a bad thing to have in your arsenal. Biggest expense used to be the waders and shoes and you've already got those! Start acting like an entitled prick and people with think you are a fly fisherman! Fish will eat flies real well a lot of times when they won't hit hardware. Good to know for lake fishing too where you won't get the stink eye. . .

leg 06-29-2019 03:15 PM

You were just following the rules and those guys who confronted you didn't know the rules or were just being assholes. You can use bait below Scraggy view picnic area, maybe you could confront a fly fisherman and tell him it's not cool to use flies in the bait area,lol.

homeboy 06-30-2019 02:04 AM

I have fished that section of river for years and NEVER experienced what you describe about spin fishing discrimination.

ghostman 06-30-2019 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homeboy (Post 2080389)
I have fished that section of river for years and NEVER experienced what you describe about spin fishing discrimination.

Maybe you are a more imposing figure than the OP...

ghostman 06-30-2019 07:25 AM

... ooorr... maybe you're just too ugly to converse with! >:D:o

spurdude101 06-30-2019 09:20 AM

this is the kind of crap that pisses me off. Your fishing license cost the same as theirs. I would have been on the phone to the district wildlife manager as soon as I got to cell service. these muckaloons who buy $500.00 rods an two hundred dollar nets think they are better people than you. Efem! A $50.00 dollar rod will catch the same fish! I would have asked them to show me the regs. But FYI if you want to have some fun go buy a 7 foot fly rod 6 weight put on a 6 ft leader 6x tippet and your roostertail with a slit shot foot and a half up. Its a little hard to cast but fish the riffles downstream and strip it in and out. to everyone you look like your fly fishing but that spinner will catch more fish than the shmo with the $500.00 rod! and as for money. go on ebay, you can outfit yourself with a fly rod reel and line for under a $100.00. Or strap on a open carry firearm. I bet no one will say a word, nor should they! Oh and other thing, What those people did was against the law. Interfering with your lawful hunt(fish). I would still call and report it. then go back, fish again and take descriptions and vehicle plate numbers and report it again. Who the hell are these people who think they have the right to even speak to you in the first place?!

Stickbait Pillager 06-30-2019 09:00 PM

Try using a #11 floating rapala - that really gets em, lol!

the_infidel 07-01-2019 09:21 AM

hey, serious fly fisher here that drops THOUSANDS on gear every year... F%$k those guys. You are/were fishing the way you enjoy it. Pay no mind to poeple that dislike your preffered method. If you want, we can meet at Deckers and fish some time. Ill bring a fly rod and you spin fish. You will slapy that place and I will hoot and holler with you to make sure poeple like this know you are enjoying yourself and enjoying the way YOU like to fish.

ghostman 07-01-2019 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_infidel (Post 2080409)
hey, serious fly fisher here that drops THOUSANDS on gear every year... F%$k those guys. You are/were fishing the way you enjoy it. Pay no mind to poeple that dislike your preffered method. If you want, we can meet at Deckers and fish some time. Ill bring a fly rod and you spin fish. You will slapy that place and I will hoot and holler with you to make sure poeple like this know you are enjoying yourself and enjoying the way YOU like to fish.

Right-on!