"Completely over-run with mussel infested boats" - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2019, 06:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default "Completely over-run with mussel infested boats"

This doesn't look good.
https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...infested-boats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2019, 07:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

I will say once again that this could end fishing in a body of water that gets infested.
The food source for this species is the bottom of the food chain. Once that is gone the rest of the food chain follows killing the body of water.

I have relatives in Michigan where it started and the stupidity continues.
All the whining about the boat inspections gets old. Nothing is perfect but if boat owners follow the proper procedure it's the defense against contamination.

But first you have to care.

Use your head for more than a hat rack
The older I get, the better I was.
snagged up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2019, 09:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

I think its a little overdramatized...51 boats out of the thousand(s) that use the lakes every day is not "completely overrun".

I care, I just hate that boat ramps and lakes are closed because of "lack of resources", especially after increases in fishing license prices and the new $25 ANS fee.
Dakota is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2019, 12:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

I really hope someone is not stupid enough to try launching a boat that invested as the one in the photo for the article. I will also say the ANS in Colorado are specifically embellishing how many lakes in Minnesota are infected with zebra mussels. I am from Minnesota. I fished one lake in Minnesota once that has them, coincidentally is a lake that the national walleyes tour and MWC fish, which coincidentally makes their rounds on Erie and Lake Michigan. When I came here they acted like I was a drug mule, I just told them sanitize the boat if they like. The inspector actually said "all" the lakes in Minnesota are infested, my response was "do you know how many lakes there are?" I will say they are destructive to habitat for fish, but the lake I fished still had a healthy population of trophy walleye. I am all for combating it, but I think boat owners should be more responsible if the photo in the article is legit.
Micorps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2019, 05:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

The picture is a dramatization yes, but I remind myself that the infestation in the lake that boat was taken from likely started from a very small amount of mussels that weren't easily visible.

I grew up in Michigan and the inland lakes in the LP don't seem to have an issue yet but many bodies of water around my place in the UP have issues (mussels, clams, snails). I am telling you it isn't something to mess around with if you cherish the current ecosystem (even something like sandy bottom beaches become infested and change the enjoyment). Has it affected my quality of life, absolutely not. Is it real and has it changed how we enjoy some of the waters we grew up in, yes (i.e. you have to wear river shoes at some of the beautiful park beaches because of snails and mussels) but again that is only an inconvenience - not life changing.

People will always over emphasize/exaggerate the issue and others will brush it away. The reality is that the ecosystem won't die, it will change and evolve which in the end is only an impact to personal nostalgia. Some species will decline, others will thrive. Michigan has seen in with smallmouth fishing - boomed since the zebra showed up.

Last edited by waterfowler; 07-11-2019 at 05:56 PM.
waterfowler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2019, 09:26 AM   #6 (permalink)

Mussels are a BIG deal. But for fishing, it is likely just a matter of changing the conditions, not "ending" fishing. The reports that I have seen regarding Michigan and the like talk about much clearer water conditions, and SMB in particular thriving. Even the Lake Powell biologist seems to feel the same way.

I was at Lake Powell for the last 10 days. Because of the rising water level, there are millions of floating quagga shells. But walking the houseboat docks I never saw an infestation like the one in the photo. After 10 days in the water, there were no visible mussels on my boat. My ropes were inspected when we left and deemed clean (they are still hanging in my garage drying out, and likely won't be used again until I go back to Powell next month.)

It will be interesting to see how long the decontamination takes when I go to CPW headquarters later this week to get my boat deconned. Usually takes an hour. Reports I have seen are now it will take two.

I want to keep our lakes clean. I really do. But I think even with Colorado's program, the best we can hope for is a delay in contamination. I don't believe birds spread mussels. And I don't believe that our lakes are somehow "immune" to them. But with the inconsistency between inspectors, and people that are willing to skirt the system, I think contamination is inevitable.
Bionic Man is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2019, 09:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

Why do you have to go to CPW headquarters.
Dakota is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2019, 09:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

Most of the concern is not for fish/ecosystem, as most the reservoirs/lakes are man made. What the water suppliers are worried about is the affects on the infrastructure. Clogged pipes, not necessarily the water delivery pipes, but the support systems for pumping and power plants. Both needs cooling and service water, those pipes, filtration systems can easily be overwhelmed.
Scyry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2019, 04:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Why do you have to go to CPW headquarters.

More a matter of preference than “must”.

The HQ seems to be the best trained and with the most reliable equipment.

My next trip will be a weekend family trip and I’m not willing to risk getting to the lake and not having either working equipment or a properly trained technician there, either of which would mean denial of access to the lake, and a long drive to the next closest decontamination station.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bionic Man is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2019, 11:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

As I recall when you leave Lake Powell they provide info that you'll be mussel-free if you follow their guidelines: Boat out of the water, drained and dry for 21 days.
albow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in