14 foot deep v with a 20hp 4 stroke... - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2019, 10:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 14 foot deep v with a 20hp 4 stroke...

Hey Everyone,
I've had a 14' Lund deep V and I recently purchased a used 2011 Merc 4-stroke. I'm not getting close to what I was hoping for a top speed and I'm wondering what other ppl are running here in Colorado and what their results are. It had a 10 pitch prop and I just bought a 12 pitch that I'll be returning after I tried it last night and it was slower than the 10. Topping out at a little over 16 mph with the 10. I'm going to try an 8 pitch this time around since the 12 wasn't getting high enough RPM's. I installed a jack plate that helped but I could still move it up an inch to get the hydrofoil just above the prop even with the bottom of the boat. I've gotten rid of as much weight as I can but I suspect the entire rig is between 900-100lbs. The max on the spec plate is 925 loaded so I know I'm overweight but it is what it is. I typically run between 9500' (Spinney) and 4000' elevation. The motor specs for this outboard are 5250-6250 rpm. I feel like my motor is about the right height, batteries are up front and it seems pretty well balanced. Carb was just re built by BPS in Denver. I guess my question to ppl who own a similar setup is:
1- What pitch prop are you running?
2- What is your top speed?
3- Whats your speed difference at high vs. low elevation?
4- Any suggestions for getting more speed?
5- Is there something inherently wrong with this setup?

Thanks for any help or suggestions you might have. I appreciate input from ppl who might have already experienced some of the frustration I'm going through right now.
carroth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 08:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

Change elevation, change prop pitch.
You will have to do experimenting at the different elevations to get the best performance.
Knowing your rpms is a must to do it right.
Higher elevations require a lower pitch.

Use your head for more than a hat rack
The older I get, the better I was.
snagged up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 08:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

Also, the hp/speed/performance of your outboard is drastically reduced at our elevation. In other words what a 20hp motor will do at sea level is a lot more than you will get out of it here... you may be getting all you can except for a few mph difference with prop changes.

Last edited by ghostman; Yesterday at 08:52 AM.
ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 09:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostman View Post
Also, the hp/speed/performance of your outboard is drastically reduced at our elevation. In other words what a 20hp motor will do at sea level is a lot more than you will get out of it here... you may be getting all you can except for a few mph difference with prop changes.
You lose 3% HP for every 1000' elevation in a NA engine. So, Front Range -15%, at Spinney you are almost down 30%.

Elevation is a killer.
Bionic Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in