Boat in the ditch - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2019, 01:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Boat in the ditch

Does anyone know the story behind the big boat that ended up on the WB ditch of I-76 last night 9/2/19

I went past probably 1-5 minutes after it happened, no dust, no cops there yet and a few stopped vehicles. It appeared that a guy towing a big wake boat behind his 5th wheel lost the boat. The boat looked demolished, probably rolled a few times before ending up in the ditch.

Fortunately the tow vehicle and 5th wheel didn't have much or any damage. It didn't appear that there were other vehicles involved.

I always am wondering about the qualifications of the drivers when I see them double towing 2 trailers at 80+ mph.
ColoGregS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2019, 03:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

I've towed tandem for years. Still do with my fishing boat, but I gave up on my wake boat. There is just WAY too much stress on the RV frame (most of which are under built). In my opinion, that is just asking for trouble.
Bionic Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2019, 04:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

I was talking to a guy at the ramp at Mac and he told me that he had spent 2k doubling the frame tubing on his 5th wheel so that he could tow the 621 Ranger behind his camper.

During my 65 mph accident inspection it appeared that the hitch on the 5th wheel was still intact. Made me wonder if the boattrailer had not been latched to the ball correctly??

Last edited by ColoGregS; 09-03-2019 at 04:45 PM.
ColoGregS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2019, 06:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

When I bought my 5er, it was only $800 to have the hitch added.

Id guess I put over 50,000 miles tandem towing either my 5000 pound stern drive or one of the much lighter fishing boats Ive had over the years.

When I bought my current wake boat in 2014 I had someone take the insulated underbelly apart on my 5er to inspect the hitch. Turned out it was cracked.

I spent around $2k to have the hitch replaced and the frame of the 5er reinforced up past the axles.

The welder told me that my trailer was now built to handle the 7000 pound weight of my boat. I tried towing it tandem once - on I76 back from Sterling, and wasnt happy with the way it handled. So now when we go with that boat we take two vehicles - pulling the wake boat with a full size suv that still doesnt always feel up to the task.

Maybe the accident you saw was simply not latching the hitch. But Id be surprised you could get all the way to the interstate that way. Id be more apt to think it was a failure of either the fifth wheel or the boat trailer.

On edit, I did need to have the weld on my old stern drive trailer where the swing away tongue attaches re-welded. So it could have been something like that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bionic Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2019, 11:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGregS View Post
Does anyone know the story behind the big boat that ended up on the WB ditch of I-76 last night 9/2/19

I went past probably 1-5 minutes after it happened, no dust, no cops there yet and a few stopped vehicles. It appeared that a guy towing a big wake boat behind his 5th wheel lost the boat. The boat looked demolished, probably rolled a few times before ending up in the ditch.

Fortunately the tow vehicle and 5th wheel didn't have much or any damage. It didn't appear that there were other vehicles involved.

I always am wondering about the qualifications of the drivers when I see them double towing 2 trailers at 80+ mph.
I must have been right behind you
Old 09-08-2019, 07:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Prolly just some well lubed bassaguy
slayerfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in