Spray on scents? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2007, 03:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Spray on scents?

What are your folks opinions on spray on scents for soft plastics and hard baits for freshwater gamefish? Do they increase the effectiveness of a lure, or are they just a gimmick? the same goes for "flavored" lures...(salt, etc)

For some reason i would think fish targeting lures/plastics during the day would rely more on sight than smell. i suppose if a lure tasted like "food" (or something a fish might eat) it might hold onto it longer once it took the bait into its mouth...but honestly i have never noticed if i had any more luck fishing scented vs unscented plastics. also, do you think fishing a scented lure at night would increase its effectiveness for noctural fish like walleyes?

anyways, i am just curious....
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2007, 03:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Spray on scents?

I tried spray on in Louisiana for bass and also saltwater. I didn't find it made any difference.
Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2007, 03:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

I used to fish sprays all the time when I was younger and I dont think it helped one bit!! *As for walleyes I think you can catch them just as good with no scent at all, those google eyes key to evrything scented or not at night you know? *For bass I have fished scented/spray lures worms and what not and stuff that has no scent at night and those bass, for me anyways, dont care about the smell they just hone in on the movement vibation IMO. *But I think you are right during daylight, fish reley on sight and mebe a little smell but again I'm no expert by a long shot. *all those sprays do is create a cool oil slick when you cast it and its done, its kinda like those black snake firecrackers you light them they grow and there done, worthless

Old 05-18-2007, 07:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm not sure about attracting fish really with them, but from time to time I will use some on lures, etc. to remove my scent when fish are following but not biting, or acting finicky. I don't know how true it is, but I heard that oils from your fingers can stay on a lure for a while and actually make fish shy to bite. Also have noticed they tend to hold on longer with scent added.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

For scents to disperse in water they have to be water soluable and most of the scents on the market are petroleum based (smelly jelly and the likes) so they will not dissolve and create a scent trail in the water. Because of this I believe that they do not work. The water soluable scents tend to wear off too quickly and you will need to reapply them often for them to be effective. On the other hand when a fish actually bites the lure then I do believe that scents, whehter or not they are water soluable, are effective in keeping the fish from spitting out the bait. So as an attracter I believe that they are a waste of time but for making the fish hold on longer I feel that they work. Hope I explained myself well enough for you to understand.
roth2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2007, 12:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

I don't use it on hardbaits, bass jigs, etc.

For plastics I like to use scent to cover up the smell of the plastic. If you've never poured your own plastics, you'd be surprised how much of a smell it puts off. In my estimation, that plastic has to smell/taste unnatural to a fish. For the plastic baits I pour I use a 100% natural forage based scent. I put a few drops in each bag of baits and seal it up. The baits absorb the scent. The spray on stuff is good all the way until the bait hits the water for the first time and then it's gone.

Same goes for salt that is sprinkled on the baits when they are bagged. For some reason people like to see grains of salt on theuir baits...it does nothing. I don't know if salt impregnation helps a fish hold on to your bait for a longer period of time. The only thing I use salt for while pouring my plastics is to add weight.
flying fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in