N. Sterling - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2007, 04:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default N. Sterling

I think I'm heading out there this weekend and was just looking for a couple spots to try. I have never been there, only drove by. Not looking for honeyholes just general areas. P.S. Im taking my dad and grandpa (we will be on a boat) and I would like to put them on something even if it is small.

I hate to start up a new thread but I couldnt find much as far a locations using the "search" function. Thanks in advance for any help

Old 06-07-2007, 05:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: N. Sterling

If you are looking for walleyes, one good bet is to fish just off the dam. I was up there last week and caught a 6 pounder and several 1 and 2 pounders. My fishing partner caught one that we didn't weigh, he was in a hurry to get it back into the water, but we guessed it at 10 lbs. He also caught a bunch of 1 and 2 pounders.

We were fishing from shore, tossing jig heads with plastic paddle-tail swim baits, out to about 30-35 ft depth, letting them sink to the bottom, and then retrieving them up the slope of the dam. I was using a 4" chartreuse Walleye Assassin swim bait and it was really killing them.

From a boat, you could do the same thing in reverse, cast out to the rocks and then bounce it down the slope of the dam and back to the boat. Expect walleyes at about the 15 ft. level. Be prepared to lose some lures, that's why the jig heads and paddle tails are good, because they're cheap.

When I say paddle tails I don't mean curly tails. I'm sure you know the difference.

There is another good spot southwest of the south boat ramp, a high cliff with straight-down sides. Much easier to fish from a boat than from shore. Walleyes hang around the steep drop-off. That's where the 10 pounder was caught.

The lake has big wipers, but I can't tell you how to catch them. There are some 1-2 pounders hanging out on the shallow flats, but I think the big ones are deep.

We picked up some smallmouth bass hanging around the brushy shorelines along the south side, but no really big ones.

Good luck!
W. E.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

catter, i got lots of spots. just pm me, cause i dont want to see a circus by the time, wiper season rolls around them parts. lets just say ill give away my second/third best if thats okay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2007, 07:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks W.E and S.P.!!
Old 06-07-2007, 09:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

i think i;m gonna leave saturday and fish there sunday to i;ve only been there once and dont know much about the lake either
catfishking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2007, 01:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Eagle
If you are looking for walleyes, one good bet is to fish just off the dam. I was up there last week and caught a 6 pounder and several 1 and 2 pounders. My fishing partner caught one that we didn't weigh, he was in a hurry to get it back into the water, but we guessed it at 10 lbs. He also caught a bunch of 1 and 2 pounders.

We were fishing from shore, tossing jig heads with plastic paddle-tail swim baits, out to about 30-35 ft depth, letting them sink to the bottom, and then retrieving them up the slope of the dam. I was using a 4" chartreuse Walleye Assassin swim bait and it was really killing them.

From a boat, you could do the same thing in reverse, cast out to the rocks and then bounce it down the slope of the dam and back to the boat. Expect walleyes at about the 15 ft. level.* Be prepared to lose some lures, that's why the jig heads and paddle tails are good, because they're cheap.

When I say paddle tails I don't mean curly tails. I'm sure you know the difference.

There is another good spot southwest of the south boat ramp, a high cliff with straight-down sides. Much easier to fish from a boat than from shore. Walleyes hang around the steep drop-off. That's where the 10 pounder was caught.

The lake has big wipers, but I can't tell you how to catch them. There are some 1-2 pounders hanging out on the shallow flats, but I think the big ones are deep.

We picked up some smallmouth bass hanging around the brushy shorelines along the south side, but no really big ones.

Good luck!
W. E.
Spectacular reply!! Thats why people are members on this forum.
Catfish Belly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2007, 09:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

P.M. me mad catter and I will give you my catfish honey holes.
bigfish76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2007, 11:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hey Walking Eagle hows about posting a pic of that 6 lb. pig eye to inspire the shoreline stalkers?
Old 06-10-2007, 10:35 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpa
Hey Walking Eagle hows about posting a pic of that 6 lb. pig eye to inspire the shoreline stalkers?
Here you are...

Ha ha! Grumpa knew I had a pic because he was the one who took the picture!

Old 06-10-2007, 10:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks W.E., easiest way for me to see the pic too. So our fellow shoreline stalkers, be inspired! If W.E. can hammer one like this on a calm sunny day you can too! Support your local gas stations and haul out to Sterling. And get a camo jacket like W.E.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in