finesse fishing - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2007, 08:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default finesse fishing

Ok ive herd lots on the forum latley about finesse fishing, and drop shot fishing, is this basicly the same thing? And what are some basic setups, so i can try it out tomarrow!
thanks for the info, dbm.
Ive never tried either one, and would like to expand my fortay!
denverbassman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2007, 08:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: finesse fishing

dude you missed a great show today on the versus. the bass pro guys or something like that. they were talking about the art of new finesse techs. kevin van dam was using a jig head-texas style and was working it like i never seen before. about 3/4 of the worm would sort of float making it look like a walking stick.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

I highly recommend you try a shakey head rig.Go to Bass Pro or Sportsmans Warehouse and pick up some "Bite Me" shakey head jig heads and some Strike king 3x 7 inch finnese worms.The Strike King worms float so the tail sticks up giving it some killer action.You can also use a Spot Remover shakey head jig wich are awesome but don't use them with the strike king worms because they won't thread on the spring.Other killer shakey head worms are 4 and 7 inch straight tail Robo worms and the Reaction Innovations flirt worm.Gear is going to be a 6'8 to 7 foot medium power/extra fast action spinning rod with 8 pound fluorocarbon.Finnese means light weight so use wieghts from the 1/16-3/16 range,I personally like 1/8.

Don't forget a small Texas rigged worm, Use a 1/16-3/16 weight,I highly recommend Tru-Tungsten weights.A small 1/0 Owner offset shank worm hook paired with a small roboworm or a zoom finnesse worm and your set.

I don't have much experience with a drop shot.I have fished it a couple of times but I need more time with this technique.
grolsch man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2007, 09:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

bobber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2007, 09:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Bobber,

That is definetly the Shakey head rig.That video gives an excellent view of what action is like.
grolsch man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2007, 11:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Finesse fishing, is definitely a learned process. For those of you (me included), who are used to casting a crankbait, lure, or jig ( cast, retrieve fast, or pause, reel like mad, stop, twitch, reel,)* the finesse fishing will drive you crazy at first. Takes lots of patience, which I don't have a lot of, but once you figure out the hang of it, is rather fun. Cast the worm (senko, roboworm, whatever), let it settle, wait,...wait,...YAWN,* wait. lift up, wait, ..wait.* lift up, ...you get the idea. A very different way to fish, but very good results.* * The drop shot, I need to give a try.
lake1177 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2007, 11:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

http://www.questoutdoors.net/skills/...drop-shot-rig/

Here's a link for dropshotting. I'm trying to figure this out too. I can't seem to keep the worm horizontal. This is designed to keep the plastics in front of the fish longer, but I understand it's even a slower process than finessing a senko or other similar plastic off the bottom as lake describes describes above. I may give this a try tomorrow.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:12 AM   #8 (permalink)

i guess i have finesse fished a senko before, i thought maybe u had to down size, in worm size, some times the longer i wait to move a senko the more bites i get!
denverbassman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2007, 04:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

DBM:
I am just getting familiar with some finesse techniques and so I am just learning but there are a LOT of different presentations.

First, most finesse fishing is done with 8 or 6 lbs. test (or even smaller). I did not even have any line less than 10 Lbs! Secondly a lot of the techniques use smaller hooks and lower profile baits. I like using little 4 inch paddle tail worms or long skinny worms. Drop shotting is just one version of this...wacky rigging small worms (not just Senkos) is another, floating worms are awesome too- and the shakeyhead. I think the main advantage is you can get some incredible control of the lure, create a LOT of action, and keep it in the zone. I just bought a new spinning rod for finesse fishing- 6'6 medium- with a fast action (extra fast is good too). I will hook it up with some 6lb. flouro.

I think one advantage of this style of fishing is that you can go fish a place that you KNOW someone else has fished and catch fish that they missed because they did not have the patience to do it. It can drive you crazy but just about the time I am getting bored I get a bite and realize it is completely worth it.
bferg_80002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2007, 05:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

paddlefish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in