Swimbaits? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2007, 10:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Swimbaits?

Anyone had any success with these? I have been experimenting with them now for three years with not much to show for * I have dozens of different sizes and brands and they all have pretty much have sucked! I caught a few small walleye and bass on a 4" Storm Swim Shad and Pike on the 5" and 6" model, buts thats it. Besides Pike aren't real particular when they are snappin! The inexpensive Storm models have done as well as the expensive Castiacs?

This year I have kept a journal at home like many on this site have suggested. All season I have had a jerkbait rod in my hand and a heavier MH 7' spinning rod rigged with a Swimbait. So far it is X-Raps 178 Eye's, 5 smallies and 3 trout, to 0 for the swimbaits.

Last night was a classic example for me. I fished 4 1/2 hours off the dam at Aurora till closing time. I threw out a slip bobber and leech and then started casting. I had 5" Berkley Swimshad on the heavy rod and my usual Purple Ghost X-Rap on the other. I had decided I would fish the swimbait all night and go for one strike! I also threw the X-Rap every 10 casts or so just to see if they prefferred it? Nothing on either. Most of the Eye's at Aurora are now schooled up in deep water and the spring shallow bite seems to be waning out there? But I thought I would get my usual flurry as it got dark. But not last night. Now I happen to know Zman hooked a nice Wiper about a week ago on a swimbait but lost it. He usually looks over at me when I pull out the swimbait rod and smiles (like this idiot will never learn). But he even experiments with them also.

Anyway, has anyone caught anything besides Pike on these? Am I wasting my time?
Neal/CO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2007, 11:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Swimbaits?

I love using them but most times I notice Im attracted to the action more than the fish are lol. Ive had the best luck throwimg for pike with them they love those perch ones from storm and they come in several sizes. The only Ive had luck with is pike and several bass so I might be with you do they truly work on anyhting else
Old 06-11-2007, 11:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

same problem here with swim baits. i can not get the hang of it. i caught alot of white bass off swimbaits, but nothing else. the only problem i can see with swimbaits is my constant confusion to fish it like a grub or a lipless crank. i think if you can master the area in btwn, you can take care of your swimbait problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2007, 12:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHHOOK
I love using them but most times I notice Im attracted to the action more than the fish are lol. Ive had the best luck throwimg for pike with them they love those perch ones from storm and they come in several sizes. The only Ive had luck with is pike and several bass so I might be with you do they truly work on anyhting else
I hear ya! That Berkley bait on the 1/2 oz Owner Saltwater head both swims and thumps, just like the guys on In-Fisherman are always talking about. You watch it swim in and can't believe there isn't something following it?
Old 06-11-2007, 12:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm with you as far as the swimbaits go but a guy that I work with at SW swears by them. He catches a lot of bass throwing them as well as giant tubes and other large baits.
roth2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2007, 12:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

forget the fancy stuff when it comes to swim baits go back to basics and swim a curly tail on a jig head or a carolina rig to me thats the only swim bait ther is and they work great on so many species
chopperdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2007, 01:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopperdan
forget the fancy stuff when it comes to swim baits go back to basics and swim a curly tail on a jig head or a carolina rig to me thats the only swim bait ther is and they work great on so many species
No doubt a 4" Yamamoto Grub on a 1/8 oz jighead has slayed zillions of Walleye and bass! But I think people tie on a big Swimbait for the sole purpose of catching a big fish?
Old 06-11-2007, 01:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Neal, can't speak much on swim baits but last week at Aurora we got that shallow bite you spoke of right at dark. A 17 in on the green x rap and a 22 in on the silver and black rogue. They were up shallow just off the point next to the scuba beach. Now that is stays open until 9:30 should give us a few more casts before they roust us out. What I would give to be locked in there one night! Anyone know what the fine would be? Has anyone done this?
hammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2007, 01:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer
Neal, can't speak much on swim baits but last week at Aurora we got that shallow bite you spoke of right at dark. A 17 in on the green x rap and a 22 in on the silver and black rogue. They were up shallow just off the point next to the scuba beach. Now that is stays open until 9:30 should give us a few more casts before they roust us out. What I would give to be locked in there one night! Anyone know what the fine would be? Has anyone done this?

I don't know what the penalty is? But I was pushing it last night!

Old 06-11-2007, 02:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

We hit the gate right at 9:00 on 5/31 and the lady ranger gave us a grin
as she swung the gate closed behind us. We thought we were going to get the lecture.
hammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in