So you want to catch some catfish. - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2007, 12:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
hobiecat

Default So you want to catch some catfish.

Now is the time to catch those spring spawing catfish and I'm gonna tell you how.

1.* Find a lake with catfish in it that has some rip rap.* A rock dam is perfect.
Chatfield and Cherry Creek will work just fine.* But, any lake with catfish and a* *rock dam is perfect.

2.* Wait until the water temp is 70 degrees or above.* Ideally 72 to 78 degrees.

3.* Get yourself some minnows.

4.* Rig your line with a two foot leader, with a small round bobber, and a piece of split shot six inches above a number six hook.*

5.* Hook the minnow through the eyes, minnows can be dead or alive doesn't matter.

6.* Cast out and fish the dam just outside of where the rocks disapear under the* water.* You can go six feet further out from there, no further.

7.* Let the bobber drift in to where you can just barely see the rocks and recast again.

8.* If you don't get a bite in two or three minutes, recast in virgin water.

9.* After two or three casts in the same area, move ten feet down the dam and repeat.

10.* Waves are your friend as they move your bait and you can cover more water.

11.* If the water is perfectly calm, plop your bobber with a short quick tug to make it splash and than let set for another minute or two before moving.* The noise will attract the fish.

Many times the cats will hit almost as soon as the bobber hits the water.* They are either lying in the rocks, a place that they nest, or they or hidden in the rocks waiting to ambush bait fish. The trick is to keep moving and looking for fish, not to sit and wait for them to come to you.* By moving, you will find many more fish.

This method works great for daytime catfishing.* You don't need to be out there at night.*

Just a simple reminder, since this method is deadly, please let some of the big girls go so they can complete the spawn. Have fun. * *
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2007, 01:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: So you want to catch some catfish.

Where does someone buy a castnet in colorado. I just hate seeing the baby carp in the 2-6" range swim around.....they need to be bait.
koldkut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2007, 01:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to fishingkats

walmart
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2007, 01:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

next time I'm down in Lamar, I'll swing by your wal-mart. The wal-mart here does not carry near the amount of gear that yours does.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the tips. But everyone be advised, this is a great method, however catfish (big ones) are picky and if this setup doesnt work be ready to try another set up such as right on the bottom or suspended up from the bottom rather than from the surface down.

Thanks again for the info hobiecat!
Old 06-12-2007, 02:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
hobiecat

Thanks Catter, However I catch many cats this way between 5 and 12 lbs.* However, this method really only works well during the spawn.* From about Memorial Day, on the smaller lakes, up until the fourth of July.* *After that time, I too head for the bottom.

A week ago Saturday, I caught 14 between 5 and 12 lbs and broke off six.* Dumb six pound test.* But, they're starting now. The big girls are full of eggs.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

We need to have a catfish derby sometime in august....
Old 06-12-2007, 02:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldkut
We need to have a catfish derby sometime in august....
Yeah I think it would be lots o fun. I do a lot of solo night missions and it gets lonley and boring and spooky in the middle of the night when the only one keeping me company is George Noory on coast to coast AM630. Hobiecat, where are you getting them with eggs already? I havent seen any in Stadley, Boyd, Lonetree or Union with eggs yet, although I did catch a 9LB male with his head swollen up out at Union last Fri. night. Thats good to hear that they are starting because I accidentaly stumbled upon some nesting grounds out at Standley and I do pretty well casting it right in front of thier faces and provoking a strike
Old 06-12-2007, 02:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
hobiecat

That was John Martin, just walking the dam. Eggs aren't quite ripe yet. Probably won't drop for a week or two.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

good advice thanks , i'm ready for some cat action

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in