Funniest Fishing Experiances. - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2007, 08:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
hobiecat

Default Funniest Fishing Experiances.

What are some of your funniest fishing experiances? I've got a few.

1. Once, Me and a buddy were fishing for cats on the dam at John Martin. We'd been getting into a few when all of a sudden, down goes my bobber and the fight is on. I'm whooping it up, fighting that fish, when wham, my line goes slack. "Sh** broke her off," I yell. But before I could get the words out of my mouth, I hear splash! I look over and my buddy's swimming for my bobber. It's out about 20 feet moving back and forth with the fish still on. He swims out grabs the line and starts doing a backstroke, drownstroke towards shore. I'm laughing my head off, watching him try to swim and fight the fish on a hand line at the same time. He gets to shore, struggles as he tries to stand up, slipping and sliding on the rocks and hands me the line. "Bring er in." Hate to see you lose a good one." He says, as he walks back over to his pole, non-chalauntly picks it up and keeps on fishing as if nothing out of the ordinary had ever happened.

2. I just got my boat and on my maiden voyage I headed for Pueblo with my wife who happened to be 8 months pregnant. I backed down the ramp perfectly, so proud of myself, and unloaded the boat. I than drove back up the ramp and parked my scout. My wife was holding the boat at the dock and I hopped on in, went back and lifted the cowel on the inboard to air her out before I started her up. Afterall, even with the blower on, I wasn't going to take any chances on gas fumes building up and blowing up my brand new boat. Well when I lifted the cowel, all I could see was about 8 inches of water in the hull of my boat and more rushing in. Damn, I'd forgotten to put in the drain plug. So, I'm looking through the glovebox, checking the whole boat out, but I can't find the plug anywhere. My wife's histerical. "Dave, the boat's sinking. The boats sinking," "What are you going to do?" I yelled out, "Honey, quick, get in the water!" "I need your help!" She runs around the boat, gets in the water and shouts! "Now what? Now what!" I shoutl, "In the back of the boat, underneath the motor there's a hole! Make like the dutch boy and cover it with your hand!" She finds the hole, covers it and I proceed to hustle on over to the marina and buy a new plug." What a gal, eight months pregnant, and she saves the boat. Better yet, twenty years later and I've still got the boat. I mean we're still married.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2007, 09:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Funniest Fishing Experiances.

I swear on my 2wt Orvis that this is true. Too many years ago when I was still in high school a bunch of us would go up to Grand Lake on Memorial weekends to camp out and fish. One afternoon I was reeling in my line and whooo!, I have a big one on! Other people around us came to see the thing get hauled in, and they did as I pulled in a about a size 13 rubber boot. You can imagine the laughter on shore that day! I thought that only happened on hokey tv shows until I did it.
spears is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2007, 10:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
hobiecat

Ok, come on now. I know you've all been there. Here's another one.

I'd just come off a graveyard shift and loaded up my one man pontoon and headed for Aurora. It was a calm, peaceful, sunny day, not much action, and I was really drowsy. As I was trolling by the dam, I fell asleep. I don't know how long I was out, but when I woke up. I found out that I'd been trolling in circles about fifty, sixty feet from the dam and both my lines had wrapped around me seven or eight times. There was a crowd on the dam, all gathered around and pointing, laughing and quite evidently relieved. I'm sure they'd thought that I'd had a heart attack and died right out there in front of them. I untangled myself, waved and to the sound of applause, sheepishly trolled back towards the ramp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2007, 11:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobiecat
2. I just got my boat and on my maiden voyage I headed for Pueblo with my wife who happened to be 8 months pregnant. I backed down the ramp perfectly, so proud of myself, and unloaded the boat. I than drove back up the ramp and parked my scout. My wife was holding the boat at the dock and I hopped on in, went back and lifted the cowel on the inboard to air her out before I started her up. Afterall, even with the blower on, I wasn't going to take any chances on gas fumes building up and blowing up my brand new boat. Well when I lifted the cowel, all I could see was about 8 inches of water in the hull of my boat and more rushing in. Damn, I'd forgotten to put in the drain plug. So, I'm looking through the glovebox, checking the whole boat out, but I can't find the plug anywhere. My wife's histerical. "Dave, the boat's sinking. The boats sinking," "What are you going to do?" I yelled out, "Honey, quick, get in the water!" "I need your help!" She runs around the boat, gets in the water and shouts! "Now what? Now what!" I shoutl, "In the back of the boat, underneath the motor there's a hole! Make like the dutch boy and cover it with your hand!" She finds the hole, covers it and I proceed to hustle on over to the marina and buy a new plug." What a gal, eight months pregnant, and she saves the boat. Better yet, twenty years later and I've still got the boat. I mean we're still married.
Wow, she's good.... really really goood!
tal0362 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2007, 02:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Rad

great stories
Old 06-13-2007, 08:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

Here is something I wrote for a fishing site story contest from an eastern PA fishing forum board, ture story too...

Quote:
Being a military brat Most of my life I had considered myself from Pennsylvania just from the fact that my parents were from opposite sides of the state. After my Junior year of high school(in Iceland) my dad retired from the navy and decided to move back to the eastern side of the state to be near my dads family. Not far from some good fisheries, we settled into the Highlands area in Chalfont. Little did I know at first I was near a peach of a farm pond located right in the middle of that place. I fished that place about as often as I could get down there to.

Before I get into the meat and potatoes of this story, I’d better introduce Jeff. Jeff was a friend of mine that I knew from Kingsville, TX. Both of our parents were stationed there and being military brats, it just kind of went that we hung out together. We played roller hockey, fished at some farm ponds, and hung out causing as much trouble as any other teens down in Texas. Good times were had down there. Jeff and I lost touch when we moved away to go back to Iceland for another two and a half years. Luck would have it that we met back up in PA after not hearing from each other for that time span. Jeff is somewhat of a self proclaimed urban cowboy, listened to the country music, wore the hat, drove the truck, but had no sense of farm work or any kind of hard work. Another thing to mention is that I am six foot tall and at the time weighed in at 140 pounds, Jeff was just as tall and had me by 100 pounds.

Being that it was my senior year of high school at a new school (CB West) I did not start the year with many friend at that school so I hung out with Jeff even though he lived in Quakertown. We found that the catfish were predictable on a Friday night up to about 1AM when they decided to turn off the bite. Many nights of good cat fishing were had there but this one night we were caught off guard and I let me better sense go to waste when Jeff yelled “SNAKE!!!.”

We had been out fishing for about 30 minutes and had caught three catfish in as much time by the light of the lantern. Being it was dark I had to unhook all the fish (Jeff doesn’t have the gut to remove anything larger than a bluegill from the hook) On the 4th strike, I was reeling it in and it didn’t feel quite the same. Jeff was holding the lantern over the water and at first sight of the catch Jeff yelled “SNAKE!!!!”

I looked over at him, just to see the lantern taking off into the distance. The next half second I was looking back towards the water and saw whatever it was (In hindsight I think it was an eel) wrapping itself in the fallen grass on the edge of the water. You have never seen anyone cut the line, grab two rods, a five gallon bucket full of gear, and take off through tight wooded trails in the dark fumbling across every tree limb, branch and briar patch on the way through.

When I got to the house, I was sure that someone was going to say something because of the commotion I had made at eleven at night in the middle of the Highlands Complex. I had not known that snakes or eels gave Jeff such the willys, but I was sure to give him crap about leaving a fishing bud behind in the face of danger……
koldkut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2007, 08:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
hobiecat

Me and my buddy were night fishing at eleven mile using little white marshmellows. *Well, you know how all the mice come out at night up there, running around you, looking for something to eat. *So, being a nice guy, I tossed em a few mellows. *Big mistake, now we have ten, twelve of the little critters sharing the rock we're fishing on. *So, my buddy reaches into one of the MREs we had with us and grabs the bottle of tobasco, soaks a few mellows and tosses em out. *Wow, talk about jumping meadow mice. *A mouse would pick up a mellow, run a couple of feet and jump two feet into the air. *We were lauging our heads off. *That's when we heard the voice from the darkness. *"What's you boys doing over there?" *Sure enough, it's the warden. *

Well, we showed him. *Now, he's laughing his head off. *I ask him, *"Would you like to see our licenses?" *"Nah, that's alright boys." *He replies. *"But, if you wouldn't mind, could I have some marshmellows and that little bottle of tobasco? *That's so funny, I've just got to show my partner." *And with that, we gave him some mellows and a tiny bottle of tobasco and back up the hill he went, chuckling all the way. * * *
Old 06-13-2007, 09:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
hobiecat

This isn't quite a fish story, but speaking of snakes.

When I was a kid, living in Monument Colorado, I used to hang out at a taxidermist shop that specialized in mounting rattlesnakes with the heads on, positioned to strike. Boss, the taxidermist, says to me one day,* "Hey Dave, how would you like to make some money."* I was always interested in making a buck.* "Tell you what, I'll give ya five dollars a live snake and three dollars for a dead one.* Sound fair?"* I jumped at the chance and me and my brother were in the snake catching business.* We'd catch thirty or forty rattlesnakes and put them in a fifty-five gallon barrel on the front porch (gotta love mom and dad) and then take em on over to Boss.* It was turning into quite the summer business.

Well, one day me and my brother are out catching snakes when I see one just slithering on down into her hole.* I grab the shovel and start digging her out.* I dig down about a foot and there's a small rock, about a foot across, in the way. So, I lift it up with my shovel and, ping, the snake strikes.* He was coiled up under the rock and had just missed my leg by an inch.* I yell sh** and strike back.*

My brother runs over yelling, "Dave, what's the matter!" I'm thinking he must of thought I'd been bit.* Instead he looks down at the snake and says.* "Damn it Dave!* You gotta be more careful.* You just cost us two bucks!"* * * * * * * * * *
Old 06-13-2007, 10:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
hobiecat

So, I'd decided to take the kids fishing at Pueblo.* After a good morning of fishing, I pulled into shipwreck rock cove and we ate lunch.* While we were sitting there, I decided to take a quick dip to cool off.* So I reeled in my rod and placed it in the rod holder while my two boys continued fishing off the front of the boat.* I dove into the lake and as I did, my jig hanging from my pole caught my foot and I could feel the pain as I entered the water.* Before I could get to the surface, I'm thinking stupid, stupid, stupid.* That's when I felt another jolt of pain.* It shot through my foot.* My head breaks water and I come up screaming.* Looking up I can see my twelve year old holding my bowed rod, backed up by the eight year old with the net, and he says,* "Sorry Dad! Sorry!* We saw your pole go and thought you had a big one."*
Old 06-13-2007, 11:45 AM   #10 (permalink)

I had a fishing pole that was green and had a yellow strip on the sides. I was fishing green mountain and was more interested in the ducks flying over my head then my pole. All of a sudden I saw movement on my pole, I reacted quickly picked up my rod and immediately noticed I grabbed a snake instead of the pole. I hate to admit it my but screams could be heard in pueblo!
yakatut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in