catfish help - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2007, 04:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to hunterfishercamper Send a message via MSN to hunterfishercamper
Default catfish help

Okay need some help with these Colorado cats. I want to fish at night from the bank, anyone have any tips for me. I am going ot Pruit Reservoir(i have no clue how to spell it)
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2007, 04:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: catfish help

the madcatter and myself will be at calkins on friday! if u want to hook up!
denverbassman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2007, 04:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Is prewitt out east? I have never been there and have no clue where it is. *Lots of cat guys on here will tell you to use cut bait, minnows, chicken liver etc. *My advice to you is set up near an inlet or a flat that drops off quickly to deep water and fish the above mentioned baits on the bottom using a slip rig or float them off the bottom 6-12" good luck. And another word of advice, when you cast let your bait sit for a minute or two and then reel it in a foot or so and repeat. *If you dont catch a fish in the first 10-15mins. on a cast move yourself down the shore a little ways and try it all again. *The key is to keep your bait fresh and keep it moving. *Dont be afraid to rebait ALOT!

Lots of people think you just throw in and wait, and it will work eventually but when Im pressed for time I locate the fish, I dont wait for them to come to me. The only time you should cast out and wait for hours is when you are enjoying a beer or just having a pleasent evening out with family/friends and not on a obsessive mission for a lunker which I am guilty of. However I have been known to kick back and relax a couple of times and you can still catch piggies with 2 hour old bait

Old 06-14-2007, 07:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

I did the "chuck and relax" method last night at Heinrency. Worked all right but I would much rather be active fishing as long as my shoulder allows it.
bigfish76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2007, 09:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

so your going to prewitt for cattys huh. lets see do you have a boat. thats the key. use perch for bait but cut bait might work. if your on the boat, try the middle area around the dam in the coves. if your on shore, it might be pretty hard. if your are there, watch out for snakes. lots of snakes.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to hunterfishercamper Send a message via MSN to hunterfishercamper

DBM- Catfishunter and i want to try Prewitt (thanks southplatter). Saw it and figured we'd give it a shot. Where is Calkins anyway?
Old 06-14-2007, 10:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterfishercamper
DBM- Catfishunter and i want to try Prewitt (thanks southplatter). Saw it and figured we'd give it a shot. Where is Calkins anyway?
Calkins A.K.A Union res. in Longmont
Old 06-14-2007, 10:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
hobiecat

I used to fish Prewitt.* I'd catch cats about halfway between the little concrete spillway and the lake.* I'd just use chicken livers and minnows at night letting them drift right up against the bank.*

The inlet used to be great, right by the spillway, for wipers. They'd really pile up in there when the water was running, but I think they had some kind of algie (sp) problem.* *Not sure how many wipers are left.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2007, 10:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

I looked on the internet and it said Union on google maps but that address was Calkins. i didnt know if maybe i couldnt find it. Union is a good idea. too bad i will be fishing for real catfish down in mississippi next weekend or else i would go there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in