Superline and Spinners - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2007, 09:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Superline and Spinners

For those of you who use superlines and inline spinners. Do you attach the line directly, or do you use a mono/floro leader? I worry that the fish see the line, but maybe it's not important with spinners like it is with flies.

Life is hard, but it's a lot harder when you're stupid.......John Wayne
Pete-G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2007, 01:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Superline and Spinners

Once you get use to using the superlines, you'll never go back to using twisted up mono again. I have been using Fireline for the last 7/8 years, and have it on every pole I use (couple for jigging, couple for casting, couple for catfishing, couple for trolling, you get the point). I have never found it to make a difference in fish catching, even when I was with other fisherman using mono and fluorocarbons.
The trick with superlines is that you have to use your drag system differently. Due to the non stretch of Fireline, you need to set your drag a little liter. There are times when I have my drag set to the point that Fish that hit when I'm trolling will make the drag squel (sp).
You (and you probable know this) will spend more money at the start with Fireline, but in the end like 8 years) the cost will equal out, with a lot less frustration.
Hope this out help,
catfish_al
Old 06-20-2007, 02:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Doesn't Fireline require special reels? My dad says he tried that stuff on a regular bait casting reel and the line is flat (not round) and would easily bury itself under itself. When you tried to cast again the lure would come to a sudden stop because the line would get stuck and not come out.

Anyone else had this trouble? Maybe I'm thinking of a different line, but I swear he said Firewire was the flat line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2007, 03:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishnPhil
Doesn't Fireline require special reels?* My dad says he tried that stuff on a regular bait casting reel and the line is flat (not round) and would easily bury itself under itself.* When you tried to cast again the lure would come to a sudden stop because the line would get stuck and not come out.

Anyone else had this trouble?* Maybe I'm thinking of a different line, but I swear he said Firewire was the flat line.
Hey FishnPhil,
Your Dad must be thinking of some other type of line.* Fireline is one of the most rounded lines on the market, and will outcast any other line due to the roundness.* The only thing to remember with Fireline is to pack it on tight. If you don't pack it on tight, and due to it's roundness, Fireline can break lose inside the reel, causing you to have to re-line with the same line.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. Maybe I should have explained more, but I was in a rush. I've been using Power Pro for years and love it. I've been using setups that use leaders though. Like bubble and fly. I'll be moving to Colorado ina month or so and will be using inline spinners in places like the Ark which will be 2 min away from me. I was sure using PP line would still fool the brown trout in the Ark and some other smaller streams. I've never used it without a leader, but I can't see how i'd use a leader with a spinner. I would have to either cast through the guides, or let the leader hang down for casting. Neither of which sounds like a good idea.

So, tying the line on a snap swivel and then the spinner would be a nice compact easy to use setup. Good to hear it will work. No doubt i'll be getting some snags and the PP line will help pulling them free.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

pete, the bigger the trout, the smarter they get. theres a reason why flyfishermans use leaders to their main line. i suggest the same for superlines. dont do the snap swivel for the attactment of the mono/fluoro or whatever you use. i dont see a need for superlines on most rivers in colo. use 4-6lb mono and u should be okay.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southplatter
pete, the bigger the trout, the smarter they get. theres a reason why flyfishermans use leaders to their main line. i suggest the same for superlines. dont do the snap swivel for the attactment of the mono/fluoro or whatever you use. i dont see a need for superlines on most rivers in colo. use 4-6lb mono and u should be okay.
You don't get line twist without a swivel?

Old 06-20-2007, 07:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

pete
if you want to use a leader with a braid tie your leader to braid with back to back uni knots and they will cast through your guides with no problem
Old 06-21-2007, 09:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

I have been using Fireline since it first came out,and it is all I use.I don't use a leader,and never saw a problem with the catch rate.Check out the diameter of the 4# test and notice how small the dia is.This allows great lure control,and keeps the vis down low.Wait till you cast it,and feel the lure contact with the bottom or strikes.You will never go back to mono.Knot strength is great,and it is as tangle free as you can get.Tangles that would be hopeless come undone easlily.Shelf life is forever.
I have 3 spools of the Crystal,and really can't say I like it.It reduces the casting distance and I really don't see much difference in the clarity of the line.The weave of the line looks much different than the fusion.I doubt if I will re-spool with it on all my reels.I like the smoke colored fusion.
Cabelas has asked me to feild test the Crystal,and so far,I"m not thrilled with the line.
BOJON123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2007, 09:17 AM   #10 (permalink)

Something to keep in mind though; I know most people tend to use the improved clinch knot. I would avoid that knot if you tie straight to the braid/fireline. It has a bad habit of slipping. Id use a palomar or if you do use an IC use a double IC.

[me=Jay] [/me]
NeWcS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in