SMB - to eat or not to eat - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2007, 01:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default SMB - to eat or not to eat

Hello, i've notice that on this forum there are alot of people that seem to take home their smallies. My question is, how do you guys prepare your smallies?
wiper743559 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2007, 01:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
hobiecat

Default Re: SMB - to eat or not to eat

I don't keep them myself.* But, if I were to take em home, I'd want to break the news to em slowly as to not upset them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiper743559
Hello, i've notice that on this forum there are alot of people that seem to take home their smallies. My question is, how do you guys prepare your smallies?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2007, 02:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Not to Eat!

I have tried large mouth several years ago. I thought it was too fishy and have never tried it since. Perhaps smallmouth taste different. If for some reason, I had to eat a bass (maybee if I was dead broke and couldn't afford food) I would probably smoke it to cover up the fishy flavor.

For me I will just stick to the Walleye's.
michael in parker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2007, 02:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

I've nerver eatten a SMB. I would filet it and fry it the same as most fish I eat. I don't care for pink meat fish so I'd probably enjoy it more then the trout here.
Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2007, 02:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Don In Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobiecat
I don't keep them myself.* But, if I were to take em home, I'd want to break the news to em slowly as to not upset them.
LOL! Good one!
Old 06-21-2007, 02:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

I like to make sportsman stew....

1. 1lb greenback cutthroat fillet
2. 4lb high elevation cutthroat fillets...Even though this one of the most beautiful fish in the entire state of colorado remember you've got company coming over soon....kill it.
3. a couple 5lb bass from places like Quincy and Spratt platte don't even worry about denting the population of nice fish, or the gene pool. It's a never ending resorce. Lmb grow from fry to 5 lbs in 3 days...Well 4 days if the forage base isn't great.
The last two ingredients are the most important!
4. At least a 20lb lake trout this will give your stew an aged flavor. Nothing like killing a fish thats old enough to have seen at least a few different presidents in office.
5. A tiger musky or hybrid musky at least 36 inches long(we wouldn't want to break any rules now would we?') Sure this fish doesn't reproduce and if certain managing agencies don't want to include tigers in their stocking program eventually the species in that body of water will dissapear...
6. Just for a little more flavor add a couple small smallmouth bass from cheeseman into the stew. They haven't seen a lure for a few years now....So instead of enjoying some good fighting fish that are quick to bite a lure, and put a smile on everyones face. Slip it onto a stringer, tell all your buddies about it, post it for all the world to see...........Then complain in 3 months how bad the fishing sucks.

Step 1.
To cook sportsman stew it's of the upmost importance that you wait until trash day, and it must be cooked early in the morning. Take all the ingredients mentioned above and put them in your city provided trash can.
Step 2.
Take all your rods, reels, lures, nets, and anything else fishing related and place into the same city provided trash can.
Step 3.
Watch the city take your fish, and fishing stuff away and find a new hobby!!!!

Bass are not for eatting!!!! Trophy fish period aren't for eatting or keeping!!! For the love of god if you want fish to eat go catch some crappie, perch, bluegill, channel cats, small pike, or white bass just to name a few.

Here's a real shocker of an idea go fishing all day. Catch a bunch of nice bass, take pictures, release them, and buy a f*(#ing steak on the way home.

wiper this rant wasn't toward you, but I sincerely hope you decide to release your smallies. Outback has some killer grilled salmon that you'd enjoy a lot more than eatting a smallie.
panman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2007, 03:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Don In Denver

I can't think of any smallmouth fishery in Colorado that could stand much smallmouth harvest and still produce good fishing for quality smallmouth year after year.

I'm with panman on this one, especially the small metro lakes (e.g., Quincy, Aurora, and Chatfield) and the bigger lakes that get a lot of pressure like Pueblo and Horsetooth. There are lots of other white meated fish that it makes more sense to keep to eat.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
COfisher

I would strongly suggest you release your smallies and largemouths. Although some have suggested they are good eating there are plenty other fish that are better to keep:
Trout: Tasty and theres plenty of them in the state.
Wiper: Tasty and sterile, DOW has to constantly restock them to keep the population up
White Bass: Tasty and prolific
Catfish: mmm mmm mmm very tasty
Panfish: Tasty and very prolific
Small Pike: Heard they are tasty and good to keep one or two now and then to keep them from eating all the trout.

However all the fish mentioned above should be released should they be large in size due to the fact of supreme spawing capabilites and passage of good genes. Fish should also be released if the lake cannot stand harvesting pressure(use your best judgement). If you want to keep it as a mount fine just as it will be a one time thing.

TIGHT LINES!
Old 06-21-2007, 03:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

Panman, I always love reading your sarcasmic posts! Good stuff! Personally, I throw bass back. I like the way they fight! If I want to eat fish, I try to catch Catfish, Trout, or Wiper. I toss bass back because they are so fun to catch!
rivrunnr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2007, 04:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

they have a little darker meat than other fish, there not bad , just fry them up like everything else!
denverbassman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in