Catching lake trout... - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2007, 09:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Catching lake trout...

I've never caught one and would like to either this or next year. I have a small boat I'm working on right now so next summer I can use that. I do not have or plan on buying downriggers, so I'm guessing already my only shot is springtime when they are shallow.

What, when, where, and how are my best chances at catching a few lakers? From shore and from a boat? I know how to catch about all other fish, but know nothing about these guys.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2007, 10:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
perlmana

Default Re: Catching lake trout...

I just caught my first laker from shore at green mountain using a silver panther martin with a pretty big weight about a foot above it. Caught him early in the morning and was only fishing about 20 min. I had another bite but it shook the hook. I was close to the dam.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2007, 02:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Take your little boat to Granby, GM, WF or anywhere else with lakers that allows boats. Go EARLY so you have a better chance of not getting blown away by the wind. Find 30-60' of water, tie on a white/chartreuse/yellow/brown/black 3-1/2" tube jig with 3/8 oz. jig head shoved up inside and a postage stamp peice of sucker meat with the hook through the skin. Drop that down to bottom and reel up a few inches/feet and start jigging. Lake points and humps are the prime spots, no need for downriggers or leadcore.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Or.....if you don't have a boat or pontoon or float tube to get you out there, fish at the places Cokid suggested, find a shoreline witha big dropoff, throw a hunka-chunk of sucker meat or a big glob of yellow power bait out, grab a beer, and wait. On the other rod, throw out a silver/red Krocodile, or a tube jig /slice of sucker, and have fun!
lake1177 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2007, 09:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

True, Lakers move deeper now that its summer, but they start coming back to shallow water in the fall, and once the ice is on the lake - you have easy access. A pontoon boat or float tube will get you out to Lake trout water, spring, summer or fall. Think tube jigs.
tal0362 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in