San Diego area fishing advice - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2007, 04:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default San Diego area fishing advice

So I managed to get myself a free trip to San Diego this weekend , all expenses paid except for Fishing Guides. I was planning on finding a guide, I know last minute in all, so any rec's would be great.

If not is there anyplace to fish near shore, piers or anywhere Fly Fisherman condusive? Never been so not sure how that might work, I do some quite of but of Salt fishing, just not in California much so I guess what would one expect to catch near shore, if possible, or offshore this time of year? Thanks for any help~

http://flyfishaddiction.blogspot.com
Troutdawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2007, 05:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: San Diego area fishing advice

had an amazing time up fishing out of the oceanside harbor. The boat we went on was called the Pacific Venture. Search the name, the site might be just the name. The captain and deck hand were amazing. Went a few different types of fish. This time of year might get some yellowtail action. We got into sandbass and barricuda and had nonstop action!
jwhitman36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2007, 05:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

I had a great time cathing sandbass in the bay this spring. Go online and search for guides. Also keep in mind there freaking huge largemouth bass (20+lbs) in the San Diego area.
McFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2007, 07:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Wow, I do envy you! Fished several times out of Seaforth, and Fisherman's Landing. Good times on both. Took the overnight trips down the Mexican coast (leave at 11PM, back 11 PM next night, I think about $120 at the time, plus licence and rod rental), for tuna and Dorado. Never disapointed. Skipjacks and Dorado one trip, Marlin, yellowfin the next, and Yellowtail and barracuda another. Always missed the bluefin catch. Never dull. Punch in their websites, to see how the fishng is. Best of luck!
lake1177 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2007, 09:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mr. Ed

If you fish saltwater - I used to fish a lot for the sandbass - the breakwall at San Diego bay or anywhere where there are docks with twister tails or swimbaits on the bottom. You can also pull muscle off the docks and use them from just about any sandy beach. Soft shell crabs work well too. Fishing Muscle along the docks will also get you some perch. Bass have size limits - both bass and perch are tasty.

Dana Point and San Diego have a lot of boats that will take you out as well for whatever is biting - sand bass, yellow tail, etc., etc.

If you're fishing freshwater - Lake Moreno would be my recommendation. Woolly Bugger on a 5 or 6 weight for largemouth and HUGE bluegill. Either green and black (black hackle or tail) or purple and black. Small poppers work well too.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2007, 07:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

paddlefish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2007, 10:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

A few year's back I was out there for a bachelor party and we jumped on a chartered fishing boat. It was more of a booze cruise outside the harbor with the option to fish. Although we never went out too far, we caught a tone of mackeral, rockfish, pacific barracuda and the occasional sheep's head. It was a lot of fun and not too expensive either.
jigger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2007, 10:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

My San Diego Fishing advice is.... Eat at Anthony's Fish Grotto.... Its Great..
Old 06-26-2007, 11:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

http://www.pacific-venture.com/index.htm
jwhitman36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2007, 12:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Dixon lake

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in