What to use? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2007, 08:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What to use?

Hello All!
What do you all use to clean your reels? I am in need of some major cleaning. I was thinking about using some watered down Simple Green to get all of the nasty stuff off....any thoughts on this or other items?

Later,
Codfish
codfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2007, 08:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: What to use?

Are you cleaning the inside of your reels, or the outside? I just break the reel down & spray some WD-40 on the parts, then wipe off any excess (too much will attract dirt & grit, & get into the bearings). To clean the outside a mild solution of dishoap & warm water will usually do the trick. If it does`nt all come off, repeat. Just make sure you dry it well after cleaning. Sometimes salmon egg goo or worm guts will get on your reel & the salts will actually tarnish the finish on your reel- I haven`t found a solution for that.
fish fetish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2007, 09:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

All of my reels need a full cleaning...Yes I am a slacker...what can I say. Better late then never. I was thinking about removing grease, oil and grime...and any little chuncks of bait that might be hanging around.

Later,
Codfish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2007, 09:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

I blast mine out with ether, than I dial them in with "hotsauce" lube.

I bought some new scentless lube in a blue can I think it is called "reel lube" or something. Its good stuff to.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Just finished up giving it a good clean and then giving it a dose of the Sauce. It works again. Used a little simple green to break the old grease down...worked like a dream. The reel is a Quantam Hypercast...the hyper part was not working so well any more...but seems to be much better. Maybe I should get my old one out and give it some love too...but not tonight...now I need to get the rest of my crap together...taking the kid on a gill hunt in the morning.

Thanks,
Codfish
Old 06-29-2007, 05:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

I just spray 'em with a little Fantastik or 409 and then wipe 'em down with a clean cloth or paper towel.

Most of my reels are pretty well sealed so I don't have to go into them and re-lube. However, the bail bearings and spring can get stiff and slow because they are on the outside, so I have had to take the bail apart and oil it. Make sure you know exactly how the bail spring goes in and hooks up, or you may be in for an hour of cussing before you get it back together.

As long as you are cleaning, it doesn't hurt to spray some cleaner on a paper towel and wipe the rod down as well. It should come out looking like new. For grimy cork handles, rub them down with a pad of extra fine steel wool (#0000 or #000), they will clean it up without taking any cork off. Have the reel off the rod when you do this, so tiny filings don't get into the reel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in