Chatfield Walleye night fishing tips? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2007, 11:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Chatfield Walleye night fishing tips?

Full moon, finally getting confident enought with the boat that I thought I'd try night fishing. I've never done it before but fishing should be better cause Walleys have those big eyes and hunt at night, right? Slow trolling Lindy rigs/leechs along the face of the dam? Trolling floating Rapallas instead? Twister tail jigs tipped with minnow heads at Massey Draw? Any tips greatly appreciated!
albow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2007, 02:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Chatfield Walleye night fishing tips?

I am fairly new to Walleye fishing and have only made one trip down to Chatfield but I'll share what I know.

There is a raised road bed in the middle of the lake, and the people will slow troll lindy rigs back and forth across the road. They seem to pick fish up on the edges of the road where it creates a small drop off. We also tried fishing with bobbers over on the West side in the weedbeds. From what I understand, the Walleyes will cruise the weedbeds at night. Other than that, you can try throwing jerk baits against the dam too.

We didn't get any Walleyes, but caught quite a few Smallies there.
Elkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2007, 08:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

Use big stickbaits with rattles up shallow right now.
Neal/CO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2007, 09:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'm familiar with the old road bed and bridge and I've caught some fish there in the mornings. But I figure at night the walleye won't hang there -- they must be starting to follow schools of shad about now. So if I can find the shad I'll find the 'eyes. . . I will look for weedbeds and pick up some rattling stickbaits. I've not fished much with those. Thanks!
albow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2007, 03:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm a Big fan of doing what everyone else ISN'T doing. Seems to me that the vast majority of boats I see at night stick to deep structure or are trolling the dam. Im no expert by a long shot but I think Neal is right. Think shallow.

From the light bites I have been getting using fairly still fishing techniques, I would say movement would trigger better bites than slow fishing. Just a guess but if I could reach where the fish are with more aggressive lures, that's what I would do.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

The last two weeks I have been using floaters instead of suspending baits. Just steadily real in and give it a hard twitch every few feet. They are much more willing to chase, now that the water is warm. Up on the lake you might try a big Rattle Trap also.
Neal/CO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2007, 09:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Think shallow at night for walleyes at night, 5-10 ft of water is best most times.
don broeren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2007, 09:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mr. Ed

Was out the week before last (not that late but from about 3:30pm to about 9:30pm). With relation to the fish I caught, the bite was lite - I was using circle hooks and I think it made a difference. Biggest that evening was 19 1/2 taken between 4 and 6 feet of water. The other person in the boat was fishing jerk baits and caught one as well so that may throw off my theory (but it was at the same depth).
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2007, 09:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobiecat
I agree with Don. *Also, with a flashlight, you can pan the shallows and look for the reflection from their eyes. *No kidding, it really works.
Doesn't it spook them? I would think they would run from the light.
Elkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2007, 10:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

im no expert but have had success anchoring and just jigging over side of boat with twisters and crawlers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in