The one that got away! - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2007, 01:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default The one that got away!

Was just remembering that some of my most memorable fishing experiences were the ones I never got to see. Like the time shorelining Hilo Bay on the Big Island of Hawaii when I was snagging eating size mullet and something grabbed one of them and cleaned me out of 200 yds of 15# line. And recently at North Sterling I hooked into what felt like a real pig that threw the hook, then Walking Eagle comes along and 10 minutes later pulls a 6 pound walleye outa that same spot! Got any to share?
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2007, 01:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: The one that got away!

ok fishing in alaska for halibut you snag the bottom as you try to get unsnaged, the bottom moves. it turns out that it is a HUGE halibut. evry time you get him about half way u he goes right back down. you continue this for 30 minutes when the monster is just gone i dont know what happened
fisherkid48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2007, 02:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherkid48
ok fishing in alaska for halibut you snag the bottom as you try to get unsnaged, the bottom moves.* it turns out that it is a HUGE halibut.* evry time you get him about half way u he goes right back down.* you continue this for 30 minutes when the monster is just gone i dont know what happened
..... might not have been a big halibut ....... coulda been a salmon shark, a skate or ..... who knows whats down there.

Once in Cook Inlet .... I was tired and beat up from reelin up halibut, I figured that if I put on something exceedingly large for bait I could rest up a bit ....... not !* I grabbed a king salmon head , the size of a slightly deflated volleyball, grabbed a big J hook and put the hook between the eyes of the king salmon head and sent it to the bottom. Wrapped one leg and two arms around the rod and set back for a nap .... five minutes later I almost got jerked outta the boat.* It just took off ...... 20 minutes later and 500 yards of 80 lb test with a tight drag set it .....* gone.* Probably was ....... who knows ....... a* damn coelacanth or something.

Maynard G Krebs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2007, 02:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard G Krebs
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherkid48
ok fishing in alaska for halibut you snag the bottom as you try to get unsnaged, the bottom moves.* it turns out that it is a HUGE halibut.* evry time you get him about half way u he goes right back down.* you continue this for 30 minutes when the monster is just gone i dont know what happened
..... might not have been a big halibut ....... coulda been a salmon shark, a skate or ..... who knows whats down there.

Once in Cook Inlet .... I was tired and beat up from reelin up halibut, I figured that if I put on something exceedingly large for bait I could rest up a bit ....... not !* I grabbed a king salmon head , the size of a slightly deflated volleyball, grabbed a big J hook and put the hook between the eyes of the king salmon head and sent it to the bottom. Wrapped one leg and two arms around the rod and set back for a nap .... five minutes later I almost got jerked outta the boat.* It just took off ...... 20 minutes later and 500 yards of 80 lb test with a tight drag set it .....* gone.* Probably was ....... who knows ....... a* damn coelacanth or something.

Once we got it up almost to viewing level and we could tell that it was huge and diamond shaped, and i have never heard of skate gettin this big

Old 07-08-2007, 02:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

oops didnt mean to quote evrything Once we got it up almost to viewing level and we could tell that it was huge and diamond shaped, and i have never heard of skate gettin this big
Old 07-08-2007, 08:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Most of the big ones get away .

My biggest fish did,,, get away.... We were coming back from Catalina Island, I wanted to fish, so I set up four rods. I set them up with trolling baits, a couple rigged with fresh Bonita I had caught the night before. I dressed both with a cute skirt and sent them skipping across the water. It was a beautiful day, everyone headed up to the upper deck to relax and socialize. I, being of the fishing mindset, grabbed a Corona and kicked back in the cockpit to wait for a nibble.... And a bite is what I got, a big bite on one of my well dressed Bonita... all my poles were standing nearly upright one second, the next second one of them was horizontal to the water as if a Mac truck had run by and caught my line. Thats odd I thought.... Looking up to see whats the matter,,,, The matter was a 200 ish lb striped marlin standing on its tail not 50 yards behind the boat. At first it all didn't make sense... it was a blonde moment Why is my rod bent over,,,,why is that huge fish jumping,,, Blonde didn't last long... jeepers I said (thats not exactly the words that came out of my mouth) as I grabbed the rod. Line was coming off the reel fast, like as if I had hooked that Mac truck and it was still heading for Kansas. I screamed to get attention of someone to slow the boat down (still running at 6-7 knots). The fish went crazy walking and diving, all over the place. The reel got hot quick - really hot.... the boat slowed and stopped, the fish broke the swivel, but continued jumping, I looked up and everyone aboard was watching... It was very cool.

That was the biggest thrill, totally amazing, - more amazing than seeing a big bull while elk hunting - one day I'm going to go back and catch one.
tal0362 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2007, 08:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAL0362
Most of the big ones get away .
I guess that stands to reason - nobody loses too many of the little ones.

While fishing in the surf off of Monterey CA I hooked something that just started moving towards Japan, never speeded up, never slowed down, never even noticed that I was hanging onto it with a bent-over rod, until all my line was gone, the rod snapped and then the line snapped, and whatever it was just kept right on moving out at the same slow, deliberate speed......

I kept telling myself that I must have snagged a seal, but I'll never know.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:06 AM   #8 (permalink)

it still haunts me til this day of losing my first ever brookie. being a warmwater fisherman, i dont go for trouts too much, so when i was young, my dad took us up to the mountains and we fished a stream. mostly rainbows there but occasionally some browns. A good 15in brookie decided to take bait and when i was about to net it, it slipped off the hook and sat there in 3in of water laughing at me.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
perlmana

Fly fishing for Salmon in BC-
My friend and I spent most of the day hooking into small to medium chum salmon (5-15 lbs) *we were fishing with 6 wt rods and fairly light tippet for the situation. *So we lost most of the fish after a few minutes of fight eventhough they were half dead. *Getting bored I decided to throw a little more weight on and fish a deep and fast run to see if I could get a fresher fish. *The second drift through I felt a tick and set the hook and my rod tip slammed down. *Suddenly my reel was screaming and either a huge chum or a small king was off and running. *The fish tore the my entire line and all but two wraps of my backing (150 yds worth) in around three seconds. *It jumped about 5 times and looked to be in the 30 lb range. *The only "trophy" that it left me were two paralell blisters and a bloddy knuckle from trying to create extra drag.

Incedentally a few minutes later I caught the fish I wish woul have gotten away. *A dead and rotting 12 lb chum. *When I went to remove the hook about 1/2 lb of flesh came off emitting a smell and ouzing a liquified fish that nearly had me vomitting!!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2007, 11:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
hobiecat

Pueblo Res cat:* Several years ago, my buddy and I were fishing just nw of shiprock in the "basscove" using twisters and 6 lb test in thirty foot of water.* We'd caught quite a few redeyes, mostly dinks, when I got a bite and set the hook, but she didn't budge.* Now my friend, he can see the bend in my rod and quickly grabs the net and immediately goes into Master Angler mode, shouting out instructons and offering up advice, positioning himself to be able to say,* 'Yeah Dave, way to listen to me.* That's a great fish "we" caught."* You know, we've all been on trips and caught quite a few "we fish" in our lives.* *Or, in the case that I lost the fish, "You know Dave, If you just would have listened to me....You wouldn't of..."* Hmm, how is it than that none of has ever "lost" one together as a team.* Yeah, it's that good old win, win, situation for the net man.* So I'm fighting that fish and after about five minutes of excerting all the pressure my line could handle, I'd managed to get her up about fifteen feet and we could see her in the clear water.* Monster cat! My biggest ever!* Must have been thirty pounds.*

Now my buddy's shouting, "Lift er up! Give er some pressure!* Bring her on in."* Meanwhile my lines already singing from the strain of that old cat, and she just flips her tail and heads straight back down to the bottom and I'm starting all over, back to square one.* My buddy just shakes his head, sets down the net, picks up his lunch and begins eating.* Another ten minutes pass, by now, my buddy has finished his lunch, and I'm still losing that battle with old Moby.* My buddy crumples up his sack, looks at me, shakes his head, picks up his pole and begins to fish off the other side of the boat.* "Gotta give er more pressure."* He says, not even looking over his shoulder.* And then, just as the words finish leaving his mouth, my line goes slack.* I reel up and my jig's straight as an arrow, not a bend in it.* My buddy just turns, looks at me, shrugs his shoulders, all the while continuing to fish, and says,* "Yeah Dave, if ya just would have listened to me, "we" would have caught that monster.* It's too bad "you" went and lost her."* * That's how I lost my biggest "we fish" ever.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in