Wiper tears - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2007, 12:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Wiper tears

I want to cry ... ok so not really . BUT man ... I hooked into a wiper that I lost today !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UGGG the things tail was as big as my hand . I was using a 5" stick bait in the rocks on the dam at one of my fishing holes . The fish was ripping off line like mad . My drag was set perfect . The hook came out just as I saw the fishes tail . I am going to have to give stronger hook sets . Any of you wiper fisherman have any tips on playing and landing these fish ?
I am always fishing for bass and have never caught a wiper.
jigmanb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2007, 12:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Wiper tears

I've gotten so used to fly fishing that when I use my spin rod I actually take a step back and set the hook with my weight (I'm not a big guy lol). Got tired of missing too many and with bass/wipers/cats you don't have to worry about ripping their mouth.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Say a prayer while the fish is ripping off the line and hope your hooks and knots hold !
craigknws2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2007, 01:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Let the fish run brother.! Dont force it to turn like you would a trout on a fly rod.. If he goes you go.. Let him tire its self out.. You can even Lip these guys like you would a bass.. Just beware of the Scales and Fins of these guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishnPhil
I've gotten so used to fly fishing that when I use my spin rod I actually take a step back and set the hook with my weight (I'm not a big guy lol). Got tired of missing too many and with bass/wipers/cats you don't have to worry about ripping their mouth.
Very True, But they will strike your lure or bait soo hard you would need to, just keep your line tight all the way through the fight.. Well unless your using a Stiffer Rod as in a 24fter rod dont set the hook soo hard.. This'll eventually snap your line.

monkies_butt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2007, 03:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Jump in the lake after him and show him some "showtime" give him a fishhook with your finger.

My biggest problem with losing wiper at least in Standley is they always make a patented run straight towards me, sometimes so fast I cant keep up with them so they get an inch of slack, headshake and the're outta there. From shore when they do that I take off running backwards and it seems to help me. In a boat, well Ive only caught a few small ones up to 3 LBS and they dont got the showtime the bigger ones do.
I think Standley wipers eat the contaminated muck off the bottom of the lake and they evolved into a new spieces with a nuclear reactor at thier core.

In closing give em line then give em hell
Old 07-11-2007, 04:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Where were you fishing?

http://flyfishaddiction.blogspot.com
Troutdawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2007, 08:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Jigmanb...

They are supposed to do that...it wouldnt be any fun if they didnt (they would be a walleye)...

Next error on the side of your drag being a little too loose...if you were using a spinning reel you can always put the tip of your index finger on the spool to act like additional drag to slow a fish down...much like palming a fly reel...you can easily correct too loose of a drag...with a wiper you cant do much other than swear if you have it too tight...

If you cant get them to turn (and getting spooled is looking like an option) do something different like shift the rod tip sideways to parrallel or down and to the side or if on shore walk down the shore line while keeping the line tight...when they sense pressure from a little different direction they often turn...

Good luck...you will get one...
Old 07-11-2007, 09:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

On a running fish, if you put the tip of your rod down in the water (keeping a tight line) it puts pressure on the fish that they don't like and it will turn them. We use this technique fishing Steelhead (who are famous for using the current) and Salmon on the rivers in WA. I just turn the rod down into the water and put a little side pressure on it, they swap ends real quick.
Elkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2007, 09:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yeppers what Elkaholic said better than I...

After getting spooled the first time with a wiper...I read some articles on how fly fisherman get big salmon turned...and it works like a charm...most of the time...
Old 07-11-2007, 09:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
hobiecat

elkaholic, zman great tips! Thanks, I'll remember that.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in