CAMPERS, ANGLERS: STASH YOUR TRASH, DON'T ATTRACT BEARS - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2007, 02:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default CAMPERS, ANGLERS: STASH YOUR TRASH, DON'T ATTRACT BEARS

They dont mean stash it in the rocks, either... Trash at my fishing site is probably my biggest pet-peev, thats why I show upto every lake cleanup I can even if I dont fish that lake...

Quote:
CAMPERS, ANGLERS: STASH YOUR TRASH, DON'T ATTRACT BEARS

Wildlife and public lands managers are urging campers and anglers to be vigilant to prevent bears, skunks, rodents and other wildlife from being attracted to campsites and fishing areas in Colorado.

Recently, at Haviland Lake north of Durango bears have been attracted to piles of fish guts, bait, food and trash left on the bank by anglers and other people using the lake. If fish are cleaned on the bank of a lake or river, anglers should dispose of the waste at the campground dumpster or at home. No trash of any kind should be left on the ground in forest lands.

"Bears are walking noses," said Patt Dorsey, area wildlife manager in Durango for the Colorado Division of Wildlife. "Fish, bait and trash produce strong odors. When bears smell food they will travel for miles to find it. And when they arrive at campgrounds or public fishing areas conflicts with humans can occur."

Dorsey suggests that anglers carry a plastic bag in which to place fish remnants during the outing.

In the back country, fish guts should be buried at least 200 feet from any stream, lake or campsite.

"Besides attracting bears, trash in a recreation area is unsightly," said Mena Showman, a recreation program leader for the San Juan National Forest. "Forest service recreation areas are for everyone. We ask that everyone do their part to keep public lands free of all types of trash."

With Haviland Lake located adjacent to a United States Forest Service campground, bears have also been attracted to human food at the area which holds 45 campsites.

Showman explained that the dumpster at the Haviland Lake Campground is "bear proof." The campground, however, is filled with the aroma of food during the summer. Campers are reminded that campground rules require that sites be kept clean and that all food is stored in locked vehicles when not being prepared or eaten. The forest service will issue citations to those who are not abiding by campground rules.

"People don't realize that even little things can get a bear's attention. At one site campers left an onion on the table and that attracted a bear," Showman said.

People should not keep food inside their tents, or sleep in clothes they wore while cooking.

Allow barbecue grills to run for a few minutes after food is cooked to burn off fat and food remnants.

Pet food and dishes should be put away immediately after your pet has eaten.

In the back country, hang food well away from camp sites.
Bear activity in residential areas and campgrounds throughout Colorado appears to be higher than during the last few years. Everyone who lives in bear country is asked to secure food, garbage and other attractants. There are only an estimated 14,000 bears in Colorado; and bears that get into conflicts with humans must be killed.

"Bears need food to survive," Dorsey said. "We all need to keep attractants locked up, so that bears continue to seek traditional bear foods in their natural habitat.

Here are a few tips for "bear proofing" your property:

Store garbage inside and put it out only on the morning of pick-up;

Take in bird feeders at night, and during the day when bears are known to be in the area;

Feed your pets and store pet dishes inside;

Run your barbecue grill until grease and food is burned off;

Pick up fruit that has fallen on the ground;

If your neighborhood uses a dumpster, talk to the trash company or your homeowner's association about obtaining a bear-proof container;

Keep garage doors closed;

Talk to neighbors who might not know about bear behavior.

If you live in bear habitat and want to compost, use an indoor worm bin.

If you are having problems with bears at your home or business, call the local Colorado Division of Wildlife office, or the local U.S. Forest Service office.

www.ColoradoMountainFishing.com

Here's to Tight Lines, Bent Rods, and Screamin Reels.... FISH ON!
epic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2007, 04:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: CAMPERS, ANGLERS: STASH YOUR TRASH, DON'T ATTRACT BEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ePiC
... Trash at my fishing site is probably my biggest pet-peev...
Ditto here.* That includes fishing line too.
That's one thing that really impressed me when I first met and fished with Clint W.* He put all his cig butts in a plastic bottle instead of leaving them on the ground.
This is one reason that I like to get to know a person before I tell them about most of the places I like to fish.

Take care!
alpinefisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2007, 04:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
hobiecat

Yep! Pack it in! Pack it out! They say even an orange peel takes several years to decompose.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2007, 04:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

I try to remember to put my butts in my pocket after rolling them out.* Even though a butt will biodegrade in 1-3 years I figure for that 1-3 years it doesn't look pretty, besides us smokers already get a bad rap about everything.* Everything else gets packed out or burned if it can.

I'm experienced in hanging my backpack and food from a tree.* A hungry bear is one I don't want to meet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in