Fly and a bubble - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2007, 01:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fly and a bubble

Need some advice on best way(s) to fish fly and a bubble for high mountain lakes. Length of leader between bubble and fly? Should I use tippet material or mono? Remember something about Pistol Petes working
well for this application, what colors? I'm assuming if I use a bugger or nymph to go with a beadhead to get it under water or maybe split shot?
Thanks in advance.

hammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2007, 01:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Fly and a bubble

I use a bubble a lot. Personally I dont mess with tippet, I just use the same 6lb mono on my spinning reel. Of course if you gonna use size 20's ya gotta use some thinner stuff. My leader is about as long as I can and still cast it well. I use a 7ft rod so I can use a 4-5 ft leader. I usually use a big ugly dry fly. Many times they like the dry fished just under the surface. Use a bubble full of water to accomplish this. Yeah use a beadhead stay away from the split shot if ya can.
slayerfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2007, 01:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would go 4 to 6' on the leader - 4 to 6 lb test. *Often just a slow, steady retrieve is best - try starting and stopping for change of pace. *Most of the flies I've used have been within the first few inches of the surface. *Sometimes, the disturbance caused by the bubble will attract fish to the fly. *I've used the same fly on a flyrod setup next to someone with a spinning bubble/fly combo and got nada while the spinning rod got all the action. *Good luck to you. * *John
john is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2007, 01:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
hobiecat

Hi Hammer, the way I fish a fly and bubble is to put the bubble on your main line and then attach a barrel swivel. *I use abut a six foot mono leader in two or four pound test depending on what size fly you're using and the size of the fish you're after. *At the swivel, if you'd like, you can add a dropper fly by tying an 18 inch leader to the swivel and then attaching your fly. *Alot of times a fish will come up and hit your bubble and the dropper works well in this situation. *

To fish your nymphs a little deeper if desired, simply fill the bubble 100 percent full rather than three quarters. *This way, your bubble will run under the water and act much like an in-line sinker. *You can check out this link for popular patterns to use.

http://www.cmcflyfish.org/wild_areas_list_pg1.htm

Vary your retrieve. *I like to pull the fly towards me with my rod and then while the fly is setting, reel back towards it without moving the fly, varying the length of the pull.

Good Luck! * * * *
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2007, 02:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hobiecat is all over it - got to go with the swivel separator. It lets the bubble move freely and avoids tangels. Varied retrieve with some jerks thrown in. I have had alot of success at lower level lakes with this set up also. This rig with a beadhead is great in the fall at the Buttes for Brownies.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hobiecat offered some great advice, and the link for flies is also very good, thanks. My 2-cents... I like to use a snap swivel, then a short piece of line (4 ")with the bubble attached, followed by another swivel, with the leader attached to this swivel at least 5', and then the fly. The snap swivel is for convenience, you can remove your fly set up and go to lures quickly. The pistol petes and montera marvels work well when the fish are not surfacing. I fill the bubble completely and let it sink (counting to find the preferred depth) and reel in as slow as possible, (make sure the propeller rotates) and just vary it until you find out what works, (twiching, stopping, etc.) If it is sunny I prefer gold prop., and lighter bodies, if cloudy use silver props and darker patterns. The link Hobiecat suggested has the flies you should have. I always like to have a few mosquitos, renegades, and royal coachman as well. p.s. thanks for your suggestions at gross, I will give em a try. good luck Hammer.
tinman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2007, 07:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Here you go. These flies are better than Pistol Pete's. This site will tell you how to fish them. This is a killer way to fish. Check out the testimonies.

http://www.fliesbyguy.com/index.htm

I've never mentioned this before, but i'll be tying flies for Guy when I get to BV. A little extra jingle for my fishing expenses.

btw..I wouldn't say these worked if they didn't.

Life is hard, but it's a lot harder when you're stupid.......John Wayne
Pete-G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2007, 08:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
colonative

Parachutes. If the water's somewhat active on top. And your tired of them takin the dry fly Throw on a wet fly. Can't see em bust the water, but when you see the water roll, that's when you hit em. Same rig set up as eveyone suggets.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2007, 10:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

use a big phesant tail. they always work. use the same line thats on the spool cause if u use the smaller line from bubble to fly will get tangled good luck
fisherkid48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2007, 09:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

While no pro, I have been learned the most about trout fishing by using the fly and bubble method. I, too, use a clear bubble, barrell swivel and then tie on 4-6' of 5x tippet (typically) and the fly. Pistol Petes have been my favorite and most productive with Green outperforming. On the small mountain lakes I use the smallest Pistol Petes. I also have a small fly collection for streams and use fly/bubble set up there as well.

Some purist fly fisherman think this is a sissy way to fly fish. I like it, it's helping me learn (I can see the bubble a whole lot better), I can get some casting distance in/around ponds and it works.

I bought this book on Amazon.com --

Fly & Bubble Fishing Techniques by Allen Druke

It's a paperback and quite helpful re: stream fishing using a fly and a bubble.
newtofishing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in