ICAST - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2007, 11:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default ICAST

I just got back from the American Sportfishing Association ICAST show in Vegas (www.asafishing.org) and all I can say is I hope what happens in Vegas...makes it to my tackle box! This was the 50th annual show and it was amazing. 1230+ booths showing 392 vendors - all sportfishing tackle. The show is not open to the public, but I got in on a press pass (I knew there was a reason I get up at 4:00am on Saturdays to do a radio show!). Its where all the manufacturers and retailers get together to buy all the stuff that you'll see on store shelves shortly. Its also where the Who's Who in fishing get together and I was star struck. The list of folks I met include Bill Dance, Hank Parker, Fish Fishbourne, Ray Scott, Jose Wejebe, Ron Shearer, Al Lindner, Doug Stange, Cindy Garrison, Chris Fischer, Jay Kumar...on and on. The best part is that they are all very relaxed since its an industry show. Very cool...but not as cool as all the tackle.

The show features a new product showcase where each vendor can submit a product in several categories (freshwater rod, saltwater rod, accesories, reels, lines, etc) to be judged by the industry. The biggest winners were Shimano and Berkley (3 categories each). The new Stradic spinning reel is awesome and I've been field testing the new Berkley Gulp! Alive for a while with great results. Both won their categories. The new Stren Microfuse looks promising as well and it won its category. The overall "Best in Show" went to a a new company called E21 with a rod made out of carrots (no joke...garden variety carrots made into fibers said to feel like fiberglass but much lighter). I'll stick with my graphite St. Croixs, thanks. One vendor had 500# flourocarbon leader material he said was for great white sharks and the like. I tried to tie a palomar and needed big pliers to even slightly cinch the knot. A big trend was stuff for the ladies. Lots of pinks rods with small handles, girlish clothes, and trendy tackle boxes. The other trend, and one I am intigued with is the swimbaits. There were tons of swim baits that looked and swam so real it was amazing. Some of them will see action in my near future.

I could go on and on but I'll spare you. Bottom line; the fishing industry is full of great folks and pioneers and I'm glad I got to experience it. Look for tons of new stuff at you local Sportsman's Warehouse soon. CL
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2007, 12:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: ICAST

STOP! TIME OUT!!!! Are you Chad LaChance? (Sorry if I misspelled your name. I've only heard it on the radio when I am able to listen to Terry...)

Good things come to those who wade...
onefishinfool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2007, 01:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Wow man! Thats sounds like heaven for sure...Are they any shows or conventions open to the public that come close to something like that?
mistaVR4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2007, 01:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

That's me and you spelled it pefect. Do you like the radio show?

mistaVR4 - not that I know of. There are a bunch of consumer shows (International Sportsman's Expo, Fred Hall, etc) but I've never seen anything like ICAST. CL
Old 07-16-2007, 01:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Chad, Your presence on the show has upgraded it many fold, in my opinion. Keep up the good work.
john is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2007, 01:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the kind words, John! Terry has been very gracious in letting me work on the show. Its my goal to be in the fishing media and The Fan Outdoors is my first venture. Please watch for Mountain States Fishing on Altitude Sports Network, too. Terry has given me a priceless opportunity to sink or swim in that realm, so we're filming some shows in his absence. They'll air starting in January. I'd love any HONEST feedback on any of my media ventures (including FishExplorer.com) - its the only way I'll learn my craft. CL
Old 07-16-2007, 08:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

When do the new Gulp alive hit the shelves? If you need an assistant next year I'll open my schedule now!
Old 07-16-2007, 08:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

bobber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2007, 08:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

bobber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2007, 08:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishful Thinker
That's me and you spelled it pefect. Do you like the radio show?

mistaVR4 - not that I know of. There are a bunch of consumer shows (International Sportsman's Expo, Fred Hall, etc) but I've never seen anything like ICAST. CL
Yes I do. What I like about it (and Mountain States Fishing) is that they concentrate on areas I may actually get to! Keep up the good work!

Good things come to those who wade...
onefishinfool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in