Dropshot line twist problem - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2007, 02:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dropshot line twist problem

Question for anyone who dropshots... do you ever have problems with line twist? If so, how do you remedy them?

The fluke baits I sometimes use tend to swim in circles, which is fine. Problem is this puts a lot of twists and kinks in the line. I've been thinking about tying a very small swivel (#14) into the line above the hook, but I wonder if that will interfere with the action of the lure.

Any ideas?
paddlefish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2007, 02:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Dropshot line twist problem

A tiny swivel well above the hook will solve the problem. CL
Old 07-16-2007, 04:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishful Thinker
A tiny swivel well above the hook will solve the problem. CL
I'll give it a try. Suppose if it's far enough from the hook it won't interfere with the action much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2007, 07:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

I put the swivel about 8 - 18" above the hook, depending on whether I intend to drop the rig straight down (deeper water) or toss it to cover (shallow water). I normally rig it with Superbraid to the swivel and Trilene flourocarbon below. If I'm dropping it below the boat, I put the swivel farther from the hook because casting it is not an issue. Having said all that, the dropshot is not my strongest technique; rather one I employ as a last resort. Fish Big! CL
Old 07-16-2007, 10:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

A couple of weeks ago Newsweek did an article on these new How-To video tutorial sites. Evidently they are the next big thing. One of the sites they reviewed has many professional quality fishing videos. One of which is on drop shot rigging. You have to watch like a 30 second ad to see the three minute video. But it's worth it for me since it's always easier for me to understand when someone shows me how to do it. The site is Expert Village. Just search for fishing. Very nicely done and almost free.
bad_angler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2007, 06:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

I had a big problem with line twist last year too. I found that it was because I was using dropshots that did not have a swivel where you attach the line. The reason that you get twist is because the weight will rotate as you work it along the bottom and without the attached swivel it will just twist up your line. Hopefully that was what your problem is otherwise .
roth2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2007, 07:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

nice how to web site, bad_angler ! thanks !
craigknws2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2007, 10:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_angler
A couple of weeks ago Newsweek did an article on these new How-To video tutorial sites. Evidently they are the next big thing. One of the sites they reviewed has many professional quality fishing videos. One of which is on drop shot rigging. You have to watch like a 30 second ad to see the three minute video. But it's worth it for me since it's always easier for me to understand when someone shows me how to do it. The site is Expert Village. Just search for fishing. Very nicely done and almost free.
Wow... very cool site. Thanks!
Old 07-17-2007, 10:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
hobiecat

Hey paddlefish, if line twist is a major problem and yes, erratic swim baits will cause that, you may want to go to a braided line and a floro leader, the braid will almost eliminate all line twist. *If it's the weight causing the problem try using large split shot crimped onto a barrel swivel as your drop shot, instead of a bell sinker. *If you get hung up and lose the shot, just crimp on another.

Good Luck and Good Fishing.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in