wonder how long - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2007, 11:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default wonder how long

wonder how long it will take to fish out antero
kevinlc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2007, 12:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: wonder how long

At this pace, Id say about 6.5 days, give or take!

[me=Jay] [/me]
NeWcS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2007, 07:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
hobiecat

This is a bonaza, kinda like the old gold rush days. The exciting thing about it, is once the fishing slows down a little, there will be fewer people going. Antero will continue to be stocked and with growth rates of an inch and a half a month, more big fish will continue to be produced. Antero is back and as long as they can keep water in it, it should provide great fishing for years to come. It's just nice to see it back on line and to see so many people getting a chance at a fish of a lifetime.

Good Luck and Good Fishing!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2007, 10:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlc
wonder how long it will take to fish out antero ?
I'm not really sure but it floors me to see how many anglers have a thrill of catching a lifetime fish (or just a darn nice fish) caught by either themselves or fishing buddy only to quickly make sure it is dead and going on the stringer.

With the digital pics and replica mounts that are available these days it is hard for me to imagine how/why fisherman that have a ball catching big fish like these need make 100% certain that they and no others will ever catch that fish again.

Please don't get me wrong- I have kept plenty of fish over the years (some/many that I should not have) but there comes a time for most anglers where they begin to understand in order to have great lakes like Antero is rare and special-and should be treated that way.
It is hard to kill one of those big bruisers for me just because they are so awesome when you do get one.

Those bragging rights/stories can still be spread w/integrity and fun for years to come with pics or no pics.

It does worry me to see some of the recent posts such as: at least most/all groups leaving had at least ONE BIG FISH- ouch!.

Ok soap box is getting weak and I don't want to offend some of the great posters on this site:
I-just don't want the massive take'em while you can mindset to take over too much is all.
We all have little ones that we want to pass these waters to so they can also enjoy.

Good luck fishing either way-I know it is legal, but don't come around crying in a few years that the fishing blows down at Antero-the DOW should doooo something geeez.

Let R Rip

I can resist everything except temptation.
Mickey62060 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2007, 12:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Let R Rip
Quote:
I'm not really sure but it floors me to see how many anglers have a thrill of catching a lifetime fish (or just a darn nice fish) caught by either themselves or fishing buddy only to quickly make sure it is dead and going on the stringer.

With the digital pics and replica mounts that are available these days it is hard for me to imagine how/why fisherman that have a ball catching big fish like these need make 100% certain that they and no others will ever catch that fish again.

Please don't get me wrong- I have kept plenty of fish over the years (some/many that I should not have) but there comes a time for most anglers where they begin to understand in order to have great lakes like Antero is rare and special-and should be treated that way.
It is hard to kill one of those big bruisers for me just because they are so awesome when you do get one.

Those bragging rights/stories can still be spread w/integrity and fun for years to come with pics or no pics.

It does worry me to see some of the recent posts such as: at least most/all groups leaving had at least ONE BIG FISH- ouch!.

Ok soap box is getting weak and I don't want to offend some of the great posters on this site:
I-just don't want the massive take'em while you can mindset to take over too much is all.
We all have little ones that we want to pass these waters to so they can also enjoy.

Good luck fishing either way-I know it is legal, but don't come around crying in a few years that the fishing blows down at Antero-the DOW should doooo something geeez.*

Let R Rip
Great post!!! I agree 100%

Way to many fish are coming out of Antero!!
boondock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2007, 02:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

I was there last night and fished about two hours from 4-6pm. What I am very happy with is the presence of Law Enforcement. At the south boat ramp there were always at least a half dozen DOW officers along with a roaming Park County Sherriff. On the lake I witnessed EVERY boat stopped by a Ranger boat. On every stop they checked liscenses, coolers and livewells. Also on the boat they had two US Coastguard officers that did a complete safety check. Since my boat is legit and I am catch and release anyways, they were happy with my wife and I. However, once the check was complete, I spoke with them about the regs for a bit and about what they have been finding on other boats. They were extremely unhappy with the amount of citations they had been giving out since Tuesday. Many of these officers are the same guys who worked so hard to get Antero back to a world class fishery. They all agreed that allowing live bait has killed many fish and we both witnessed numerous BIG fish floating dead about the reservoir. The regulations will be revisited this winter and will most certainly change. Until then it is a given that they cannot be everywhere at once but they sure are trying their best. Officers were also at both ramps checking boats as they came in.

Hats off.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Don In Denver

Good points, Let R Rip. It will be back to a "decent" fishery instead of "spectacular" in a few weeks with all the big fish being killed.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
hobiecat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Let R Rip
Quote:
I too have kept fish that I wish I would never have taken.* However, I was younger and for some reason it meant more to me than it does now.* But, by imposing my new found morals on people that haven't reached that stage in their lives, I would be no less than a hypicrite.* Truly, I don't really appreciate my dusty old mounts nearly as much as the memories of catching those fish had provided.* However as you did, so did I, and so do others.* I feel, that it's up to the individual that catches the fish to make their own decision.* I may ask that they would release the big fish that they catch, maybe even try to educate them as to why.* However, judging from my own past behavior, I would have a problem demanding that they do so.* And I'm speaking for myself, and* I don't mean to imply that anyone that has posted is demanding anything from anyone.*

So, my question is. What do you all propose.* Currently, there is a four fish limit with only one over 16 inches.

1.* Should the lake become catch and Release only.* We know that without some selective harvest, over time, a fishery will soon out eat it's food supply, and those big boys won't get nearly as big as they are today, unless you severly restrict the number of fish currently being stocked.

2.* Slot limits?* Well, one's currently in place now, and evidently, many people don't feel that's the solution.* Should we say no fish over 20 inches are to be kept?* Also, a slot limit is really difficult to achieve, without some percentage of mortality, unless you restrict the fishery to flys and lures only and single barbless hooks.* Trout like to swallow bait.* Should there be no bait fishing allowed.* That truly does eliminate many anglers, who only use bait, yet currently use the resource that there tax dollars and license fees support.

3.* Open the lake for a week, once a year, and allow the fish to grow to immense sizes, and then allow a free for all.

4.* A lottery or drawing for trophy fishing only, so only a select few can enjoy the fishery?

5.* No ice fishing, because many ice fisherman use bait, or no summer and spring time fishing, because fish spawn in the spring and the summer heat stresses fish way to much when being fought.* There are a lot of people who like to ice fish, probably as many or more, as those who enjoy fly fishing.

We can complain, but what is the real solution, short of education and information and personal decision making?

I've always thought of Antero as more than a "decent fishery", "spectacular" has happened because it was stocked and closed for nearly two years.* It was an outstanding fishery in the past.* And if we want to maintain spectacular, close it down again, and don't stock any more fish, who knows, we may even see world records coming out of Antero in the next couple of years.* But, how could we.* Because no one would be out there enjoying this wonderful resource.

What we're seeing now at Antero is an abnomaly caused by a very fertile lake being stocked and closed for nearly two years.* Spinney, another very fertile lake in the same region has fly and lure only restrictions, no ice fishing, and a one fish limit, and although a very fine fishery, nothing to compare with what is coming from Antero right now.*

I can remember when Spinney first was opened, with lines backed up to the road.* I fished and landing an 8 and 3/4 pound snake river cutthroat.* But now that it's open on a reqular basis, and with all the restrictions in place, it still isn't the fishery it was that first day, week, or month when it was first opened.* That's because people fish it, and some will always keep a fish if allowed.* I can see that by the number of pictures of fish being posted and kept on this forum.* And don't get me wrong, I believe that if you buy a license and fish within the regulations, you are entitled to keep the fish that you catch.* With only one hope, that you treat the game responsibly and don't waste what you catch.

I believe the DOW does a fine job trying to manage our resources, with limited funds, for the benefit of many.* It's a difficult job trying to satisfy everyone.* But, as I've posted.* I only have questions and no real answers.* What are yours?

Good Luck and Good Fishing!
Old 07-22-2007, 09:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Just Ed

After reading the Denver Post article and the discussions I've seen from the area biologist, they put the regs in there on purpose keeping this in mind. I'm all for catch and release, but there aren't many options for those that like to keep trophy fish. Given that they grow 1 1/2 inches per month in Antero, I think it's a great option for put and take and I think it will take a lot of pressure off of Elevenmile and Spinney. My thoughts are let's see what the current regs do and see how Antero evens things out in the area. With any luck, we may have Spinney back to what it was in its heyday and Elevenmile may be another Antero. I think that would be a terrific balance.

Imagine - the golden quadrangle (wanted to say triangle but I favor Tarryall as well)....Spinney, Elevenmile, Antero, and Tarryall. All with trophy trout of multiple species and options for some trophy pike fishing and kokanee fishing in the mix.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
hobiecat

Thanks Ed. Good post.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in