best 2-6lb line - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2007, 05:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to WaterVsAnchor Send a message via MSN to WaterVsAnchor
Default best 2-6lb line

Hey, just looking for some opinions on what lines are best for lighter tackle. Do people prefer a specific brand, or a specific type? Do you use different lines when you're fishing lakes or streams? I'm still young in my fishing knowledge, so any info would be greatly appreciated
WaterVsAnchor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2007, 06:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: best 2-6lb line

I use 8lb Power Pro braided. It's as thin as 1 lb mono. I use it everywhere.

Life is hard, but it's a lot harder when you're stupid.......John Wayne
Pete-G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2007, 06:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

I use Trilene XL in 3 lb test if I can get it, 4 Lb test if I can't. *It'll work on stockers to cutts to most rivers. Wouldn't use it at Ladora, but it gets used for 90% of my trout fishing. *It's inexpensive, holds a knot well, casts well and is readily available. *A big thing with lighter line is to make sure you spool it correctly and then to respool every few trips with heavy usage. *Keep it out of sunlight as best you can and don't leave it in the hot car for long periods.
VolFan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2007, 06:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
SD

You can lose your mind in making a decision like this. The reality is, that most of the lines are mostly the same. The bigger name brands like Stren, Berkley Trilene, and P-Line are all good.

You will find some options available from each manufacturer, mostly centered around materials and "properties" (limp, "castable", color, etc.).

For that weight of tackle, I've have very good luck with regular old Stren monofilament. What I've been doing lately is loading the reel with this line in 4 or 6lb. test, and then using a Uni-to-Uni knot to join the lines, I wind on about 30 yards of 4 lb. Suffix fluorocarbon line. FC line has some nice properties for fishing in small streams (less visible, more abrasion resistant). Using a 30 yard "wind-on" section makes it more affordable to use this line on a regular basis.

I'll change out the regular Stren line every few months. The reality is that it is really on their as a spool filler/backing - I've not had a fish on that class of tackle take me more than 50 yards into the spool, so the knot joining the lines is not a factor. Even if it does come into play, it's a very strong knot, so no worries.
SD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2007, 06:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

I agree wholeheartedly with SD, I do the same thing with the Trilene on my larger capacity reels, but I use the Trilene instead of the fluoro.
VolFan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2007, 06:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
laker taker

Quote:
most of the lines are mostly the same.
I have to respectfully disagree, bigtime!!! I have found that there are considerable differences in different brands of lines when comparing stretch, knot strength, memory, durability, etc...

That said, right now, I am really liking Yozuri Hybrid (when it comes to mono/floro/hybrid lines). Low stretch, low memory and very durable. I'll have to find something really outstanding to beat this line.

As far as super line, I have yet to find anything I like more than Fireline.

For Floro leader material, I like P-line. I'll never use a floro main line again. There is no need in my opinion.

For a cheap mono leader material, Berkley Big Game has been outstanding. I'll never use it as a main line though, too much stretch.

I have tried just about everything out there and these are my favorites. I still have not tried Maxima, Gamma or Silver Thread. I will try Maxima on a reel or two this next season.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2007, 07:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laker taker
Quote:
most of the lines are mostly the same.
I have to respectfully disagree, bigtime!!! I have found that there are considerable differences in different brands of lines when comparing stretch, knot strength, memory, durability, etc...

That said, right now, I am really liking Yozuri Hybrid (when it comes to mono/floro/hybrid lines). Low stretch, low memory and very durable. I'll have to find something really outstanding to beat this line.

As far as super line, I have yet to find anything I like more than Fireline.

For Floro leader material, I like P-line. I'll never use a floro main line again. There is no need in my opinion.

For a cheap mono leader material, Berkley Big Game has been outstanding. I'll never use it as a main line though, too much stretch.

I have tried just about everything out there and these are my favorites. I still have not tried Maxima, Gamma or Silver Thread. I will try Maxima on a reel or two this next season.
LT I think I posted awhile back about the quality of Yozuri. Hands down the strongest mono line I've used. This year alone I've broken 2 poles trying to free rapalas from snags in rivers, Guess I need to buy better poles. I would recommend Silver Thread over Maxima.
Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2007, 09:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Just Ed

I agree with Laker Taker but then again, we all have our preferences.

I can't find it around town much anymore, but for a light line, I like Maxima 3lb. For 4lb I like Trilene XL, for 6lb, I like Trilene XT.

zMan was using Fireline Crystal last weekend and was doing really well. I may have to give it a try. I usually save the braid for baitcasting reels but I may have to re-think my strategy. It seemed to work really well for him.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2007, 09:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Once you go powerpro, you never go back.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

For mono...Trilene XL green low visability...lots of wipers over 10 pounds on 4 pound test over the years...

Recently for jigging...Fireline Crystal...4 pound test...one pound test diameter...incredible stuff...you can feel everything with it...make sure you use a palomar knot or something for braids...and I have caught trout to 24 inches at Aurora (super clear lake) on jigs with no leader during high sun...it didnt spook them I was surprised...

I have not found any florocarbon I can depend on...so I cannot reccommend it...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in