Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

How to clean Kokanee ?

6K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  Cajun 
#1 ·
Wondering after that big post on the Kokanee Action how some of you are cleaning and cooking those fish ? Thanks !

G
#2 ·
craigknws2 said:
Wondering after that big post on the Kokanee Action how some of you are cleaning and cooking those fish ? Thanks !
Several different ways. Lots of people smoke them after either fileting them or gutting them. Some filet and bake, broil, or grill the filets. Others can them. All of those ways are terrific.

G
#4 ·
Yeah...There's not much inside of them this time of year...You can also poach some, strip the meat, and freeze...Then, you can use it in scambled eggs or omelets, or on top of salads..Or mix with mayo and make salmon fish sandwiches, or salmon salad...

#5 ·
Clean just like trout. My favorite cooking method for most fish is to wrap in parchment paper. Stuff with lots of butter, onion, parsley, salt/pepper, drizzle skin with EVOO and bake at 350 for 10-15 mins. Yummmm

#13 ·
We fillet them. Be sure to remove the middle bone. You can feel that with your finger tips. You will end up with a Y shaped fillet. I then vacuum seal them and freeze. To cook, I grill w/o sauce or season them and use Pam in a skillet and cook. Less is best, I think.

#19 ·
All salmon lovers have got to try the MONTEREY seasoning at Safeway. They don't sell it, they give it away. Go to the seafood section and ask for some of the seasoning (they also have other seasonings for meat, chicken, ect. all for free). I fillet the salmon and put some on the meat and bake it. It's great stuff and the price is right.

#21 ·
hobiecat said:
Thanks Scott...I'll have to try that.  I have another good one...It's Cajun Style Old Guide's Secret  SHORE LUNCH.  Great on Chicken, Seafood, Pork Chops and Wild Game.
Any Shore Lunch product tastes great on anything!
I buy crappy Sportsmans Warehouse Jerky-bbq (bland) flavored. Pour some shorelunch and other spices in the bag and shake.
Fantastarito!
ShoreLunch + Fish Boil = heaven

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.