Calling all Colorado Bass fishermen - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2007, 08:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Calling all Colorado Bass fishermen

Well, what really brought this up is DBM and I were fishing the other day and I was telling him how in the middle of the summer, I was fishing in 60 plus feet of water for bass in Missouri. He thought this was way strange. It seemed normal to me as I grew up fishing there. When the weather is hot, the bass are deep. Also, I have been reading here and there about bass fishing in magazines. Obviously, most of these mags are for places like MO, TX, KS, etc. All warmer states. They say that as fall starts to hit, topwater lights up. I'm assuming that this is mostly reversed for CO as the bass go deeper to hit warmer water. In Missouri, it would seem that the bass would go deeper to hit cooler water. Is this a pretty decent assumption? Just curious for those of you who have fished a lot during CO fall.
marledge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2007, 08:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Calling all Colorado Bass fishermen

Early to mid fall is a great topwater time in CO. The bass will follow baitfish who are following plankton, as they feed up for winter. My clients are catching lots of smallies right now on Horsetooth with poppers and buzzbaits. They'll move deep once the water cools below the 50 degree mark. BTW - we got smallies as deep as 55 feet this summer on the 'Tooth, and lots of them 25-40 feet. Its not just for MO! CL
Old 10-04-2007, 08:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
krazluck

Quote:
Originally Posted by marledge
Is this a pretty decent assumption?
yes it is
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2007, 01:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

anyone having any luck with smaller ponds and topwater? that water temp changes more quickly. just curious. i have tossed poppers and buzzbaits recently and only caught (1) 6" bass on a trout popper. it just seems too cold for the bass to want to hit a topwater buzzbait, maybe a popper. any success?
Old 10-04-2007, 01:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Also, from what I understand, smallies can handle a little colder water than LMB, so smallies might hit topwater right now in mid fall, but will LMB?
Old 10-04-2007, 07:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

A buddy of mine has a 7 acre pond behind his house and he is catching a bunch of LMB's on buzzbaits over dying weeds right now. I got a few LM bass at a local pond on a #9 floating Rapala the other morning, just twitching it along on the surface. CL
Old 10-05-2007, 11:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

I definitely believe in top water late in the season (at least through Oct.) both here in CO and out in KS for sure. Both the LM and SM go after them easily.

Generally my rule of thumb stays with the early and late in the day method for the top water but if I'm on the boat-one of my rods will always have a popper or some type top water lure rigged and won't hesitant to throw it in the middle of the day late in the season.

Same goes for the smaller ponds just walking around them and casting.

I can resist everything except temptation.
Mickey62060 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2007, 03:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

When I was still in northern CA, I'd throw topwaters in the dead of winter, even on days when the mercury dipped to 35F and the "experts" were telling me I was out of my mind (they were right). The success rate wasn't as high, but when fish did hit, especially the bigger topwater lures (the 7" Zara Mag Spooks), they were normally good ones.

Try deadsticking a big topwater on a cold morning...you'll be surprised by how many fish come up to look, and eat, what looks like a stunned, dying shad or other baitfish.
FishDr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in