Reels - Colorado Fishing Forum

View Poll Results: What brand of baitcasters is best for bass fishing and ice fishing?
Shimano 27 46.55%
Quantum 6 10.34%
Daiwa 11 18.97%
Abu Garcia 9 15.52%
Bass Pro Shops Brand 5 8.62%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2007, 12:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Reels

I am thinking about getting a new baitcaster and I wanted some advice.
I have a Quantam Pulse reel and a Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier reel.
The Drag on them dosen't work well when it's cold for some reason.
Thanks!
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2007, 01:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Reels

You're asking for reels to do two different things, and under different weather conditions.* The reels you list should do fine for bass fishing, as Quantum, Shimano, ABU Garcia, and BPS all make quality reels.* I personally like the Shimano Curados and Citicas and the ABU Garcia C3 series for bass fishing, but I know that lots of folks have had good experiences with the Quantums and the BPS reels.* Any reel that has a smooth action, a spool that spins with little resistance, and a decent drag should work well for bass fishing.

Ice fishing is a different matter.* You don't have to cast, you still need a decent drag, but you are also working in a very cold environment.* I started off using my ABU Garcias and while they worked, they had two big drawbacks.* First, they were metal, and when you're fishing on Blue Mesa in -20F weather, palming a piece of metal that has been supercooled to -20F doesn't feel good, especially if you occasionally grab it with your gloves off. The second drawback (and this is probably true of most open-water fishing reels) is that the grease used to lube them wasn't designed to perform at low temps.

What I ended up doing was switching to a reel with a plastic frame cover (my old-school Shiman Citica) and then replacing the open-water grease (Quantum Hot Sauce) with HT's Blue Lube.* The reel works great, it has a decent drag, and can hold an unholy amount of 30-lb braid for deep jigging for lakers.

Hope this helps!
FishDr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2007, 01:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishDr
You're asking for reels to do two different things, and under different weather conditions.* The reels you list should do fine for bass fishing, as Quantum, Shimano, ABU Garcia, and BPS all make quality reels.* I personally like the Shimano Curados and Citicas and the ABU Garcia C3 series for bass fishing, but I know that lots of folks have had good experiences with the Quantums and the BPS reels.* Any reel that has a smooth action, a spool that spins with little resistance, and a decent drag should work well for bass fishing.

Ice fishing is a different matter.* You don't have to cast, you still need a decent drag, but you are also working in a very cold environment.* I started off using my ABU Garcias and while they worked, they had two big drawbacks.* First, they were metal, and when you're fishing on Blue Mesa in -20F weather, palming a piece of metal that has been supercooled to -20F doesn't feel good, especially if you occasionally grab it with your gloves off. The second drawback (and this is probably true of most open-water fishing reels) is that the grease used to lube them wasn't designed to perform at low temps.

What I ended up doing was switching to a reel with a plastic frame cover (my old-school Shiman Citica) and then replacing the open-water grease (Quantum Hot Sauce) with HT's Blue Lube.* The reel works great, it has a decent drag, and can hold an unholy amount of 30-lb braid for deep jigging for lakers.

Hope this helps!
Thanks! How about reels under $100.00?
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2007, 05:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

I've been told time and again to never spend less than 80 bucks on a baitcaster. Something that has external adjustability. Preferably one with dual adjustability. The people at BPS rave about the abu garcia, but the more money you spend, the easier the baitcaster is to use.
marledge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2007, 09:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Shimano only for me!!!
boondock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2007, 11:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

I think that some of the BPS reels run less than $100. The round Garcia's also run for less than $100, but those metal frames get mighty cold at times. I don't know what the frames of the Quantum reels are made of, but if you want low-profile and don't want to spend an arm, a leg, and two ribs, I'd consider the BPS or Quantum reels, and then switch out the grease depending on the season.
FishDr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2007, 03:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

With baitcasters, a good deal of the expense of these is wrapped up in the braking system. If you have an "educated thumb," then you can forego some of the more expensive models with exotic braking systems.

I run my baitcasters with the braking system set at 0 and just let my thumb do all the work.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

I use spinning reels for all my ice stuff. Abu Garcia Cardinal C101's are perfect for 4, 6, and 8# line

I have Shimano Sidestabs on my 2 basic rods (they were about $20 apiece at BPS 2 years ago when I got 'em) - they're a little different as the drag adjustment is on the bottom instead of the top, but they work just fine.

Currently don't use line heavier on any of my lighter weight stuff than about 6-8# mono anyway. Just haven't had a need for baitcasters.

Hope that was helpful anyway.

FishinGal
Got Fish?
More importantly, SET THE HOOK!

I still say he married me because he took me ice fishing and I still wanted to go fishing with him again!
fishingal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2007, 03:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Don In Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishDr

FishDr is wise! I agree.

(Except for the part about using braid - I prefer mono for ice fishing - doesn't absorb water and freeze up like braid.)
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2007, 03:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

I am willing to bet you all love shimano because they are more readily accessible than daiwa etc...

coloradoman25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in