Tasmanian Devil Lures - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2007, 02:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
RyJ

Default Tasmanian Devil Lures

I've been using these lures for around seven years now and it's time to update my supply. I know it depends on conditions and species targeted, but I was wondering what your "old reliable" flavor is? I would be mainly trout fishing on lakes and streams, but please share for any species.

My go-tos have been the yellow wings and x-mas lights with a newfound foundness towards the pink panther.
http://www.wigstonslures.com.au/page...s/rangefr.html
Thanks
RyJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2007, 02:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Just Ed

Default Re: Tasmanian Devil Lures

I like hot pink - have used them and caught rainbows, kokanee, and pike on them. I like to switch it up sometimes and rig them backwards.

They're terrific!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2007, 02:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

they kill the high mnt trout! pink, pink and more pink!
denverbassman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2007, 02:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to work2fish

I haven't tried all the colors by far, but here are four I've had success with:

26. Pink Lady

55. Pink Panther (my favorite)

51. Xmas Tree

58. Traffic Lights

Old 11-28-2007, 04:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Sorry to say, I don't know if they'll catch fish or not.

I bought a big handful of them this spring, and I blush to admit, never got around to even tying one on. [hanging head in shame]

Well, I'll give them a workout next spring, for sure.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

The hot pink, flour orange, and the black are my choices.
gotmusky? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2007, 06:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

I never feel like I'm fishing these properly. I have tied on both with the wire through the lure, and also directly to the hook. I have caught fish trolling them, but never on a retrieve. Any tips much appreciated.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
RyJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Ed
I like hot pink - have used them and caught rainbows, kokanee, and pike on them.* I like to switch it up sometimes and rig them backwards.

They're terrific!
I do that too. On the old packages I seem to remember one way was a faster action and the other was a slower action.

Jclay: I always use the wire. Sometimes I jig it a bit while reeling, but other than that I don't do anything special.
RyJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2007, 07:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Pink is definetly my favorite, but chartreuse has banged a lot of browns and assorted rainbows. Ice fisher taught me a trick this year,..* throw away the wire, put the taz in, add a small bead of your favorite color, followed by a treble. Yeah, you can teach an old dog new tricks! Besides, I always lost those wire thingies.
lake1177 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2007, 07:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
hobiecat

Here's a nice little site on fishing the tasmanian devils...Also, it shows deep diving tasmanian devils and jigging tasmanain devels..

LITTLE TASMANIAN DEVILŪ 7 gram - 1/4 oz. (38mm)* *The "Little Tassie Devil" is ideal for casting in small rivers and streams. Recommended trolling speed of 4km/h (2.4m/h) is sufficient to provide the unique action of flicking and swaying from side to side that will normally attract the most reluctant fish to strike. When Casting, vary the retrieve rate by flicking the rod tip.

ORIGINAL TASMANIAN DEVILŪ 13.5 gram - 1/2 oz. (52mm)* *The "Tassie Devil" is the original of the three sizes that Wigston's Lures commenced manufacturing in Australia in 1980. Performance as a trolling, casting, downrigging or jigging lure is best described as a great all-rounder. Recommended trolling speed is 4.5km/h (2.75m/h). The correct speed is indicated by a pulsating or nodding action of the rod tip.

BIG TASMANIAN DEVILŪ 26 gram - 1 oz. (78mm)* *The "Big Tassie Devil" is designed for larger fish and performs ideally as a trolling, downrigging, jigging or casting lure. Recommended trolling speed is 5.5km/h (3.5m/h) and the correct speed can be monitored by rod pulse. Downriggers or lead core line can be used to increase trolling depth.

A revolution in winged lure technology, the new Dual Depth Tasmanian Devil is capable of reaching depths similar to those achieved when using lead core line. This is achieved by the innovation of two towing points. The first tow point located on the head of the lure enables the lure to swim at 3.3m. The second tow point in the regular front position allows the lure to swim at 2.2m. One of the most versatile Tasmanian Devil lures available.
DUAL DEPTH TASMANIAN DEVILŪ 20 gram - 3/4 oz. (54mm)* *Suitable for Trout, Salmon, Bass, Steelhead, Redfin, Trevally, Tailor, Queenfish & Flathead. Recommended trolling speed is 3.5km/h (2.00m/h)

TASMANIAN DEVILŪ has taken to the Salt!** * Or for Slabbing!

These weighty metal versions of the Original Tasmanian Devil were designed specifically for surf & rock spinning, salt water trolling & jigging. They enable fantastic castability and retreival through surf beach gutters or off the rocks when fishing for salmon, tailor, tuna, kingfish, flathead, bluefish, trevally & other salt water species. Available in 70g & 40g versions, in blue, red, green & yellow with reflective holographic wings.

SALTY TASMANIAN DEVILŪ 40g (56mm) / 70g (75mm)* *Suitable for Salmon, Tailor, Tuna, Kings, Flathead and other surf species. From the boat they can be trolled or vertically jigged for any fish that swims.
Colors available : Yellow

http://www.wigstonslures.com.au/pages/range.html

Also, this page shows the various ways to rig them..

http://www.wigstonslures.com.au/pages/rig.html

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in