How Big A Fish On This Rod? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2007, 08:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default How Big A Fish On This Rod?

I'm buying a St Croix Avid spin rod. It's model AVS66LF2. It's rated for 4-8lb line. I'm going to use it for steams, rivers, ponds, and lakes.

In case I get lucky and hook into something big. How big a fish would it take for this rod to fail? Meaning blow up, or not enough balls to land the fish.

I'll probably use 10lb Power Pro on it.

Life is hard, but it's a lot harder when you're stupid.......John Wayne
Pete-G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2007, 08:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
hobiecat

Default Re: How Big A Fish On This Rod?

Shoot Pete, you can land any fish in the state with that rig.. Just make sure your drag is set properly. I hope you get a monster.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2007, 08:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

a shark

Old 12-12-2007, 08:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Shark!

COOL!

Old 12-12-2007, 09:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

On the Avid series the light fast model you ordered might be a little whippy for some on a two piece but it will handle about anything around here. I like the St croix rods alot but have switched my light action rods to the one piece and like them much better. You can feel everything with those rods!
batman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2007, 10:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have a Jeep Wrangler. One pc rods don't fit very well.

I also didn't want too stiff of a rod for the smaller streams with light lures.

That's why I was a little worried about bigger fish on lakes. I release all my fish, and didn't want to kill them because it will take so long to land them.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
laker taker

I have the same rod in a one piece. I bought it to catch Lake trout on spawn saks. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the backbone to get a good hookset on the fairly hard mouth of a lake trout. A no stretch line is critical for the best possible hookset on larger fish (I always used mono or floro to my own detriment). Now I find the rod an absolute pleasure for vertically jigging Crappie and Sand bass. I hate Crappie as I prefer to target fish that would eat a whole crappie,,,, but you fish for what's biting!!

All in all, it is a SUPERB rod for a light action rod. If you got a good hookset on a large Lake trout or something equivalent, it would be up to your skill as an angler. Be careful with something as strong as 10lb braid with it, Lower the drag a touch more than usual for 10lb line as you could break the rod. A 2 piece puts more stress on the lower (and upper) blank since the joint is a dead spot in the flex of the rod.

You'll love the rod, I do.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2007, 07:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yup, two piece is the way to go in the Wrangler! You'll love the rod.
batman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2007, 08:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laker taker
I have the same rod in a one piece. I bought it to catch Lake trout on spawn saks. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the backbone to get a good hookset on the fairly hard mouth of a lake trout. A no stretch line is critical for the best possible hookset on larger fish (I always used mono or floro to my own detriment). Now I find the rod an absolute pleasure for vertically jigging Crappie and Sand bass. I hate Crappie as I prefer to target fish that would eat a whole crappie,,,, but you fish for what's biting!!

All in all, it is a SUPERB rod for a light action rod. If you got a good hookset on a large Lake trout or something equivalent, it would be up to your skill as an angler. Be careful with something as strong as 10lb braid with it, Lower the drag a touch more than usual for 10lb line as you could break the rod. A 2 piece puts more stress on the lower (and upper) blank since the joint is a dead spot in the flex of the rod.

You'll love the rod, I do.
I'm using the 10lb, because i hear PP are a little light. I've had to break it off, and it doesn't feel like a 10lb line. So, I figured the rod is rated for 8lb and I should be alright. I do set a loose drag. I can always tighten during the fight if I need to. The type of fishing I do. A 22"24" trout would be a good catch. I do get some small brookies, and I didn't want a rod to stiff for that. I tried to find a rod that would be pretty good everywhere. I'll be using a small bubble and fly a lot too. I'm going to try that on the Ark with wet flies and nymphs. A little experiment.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-G
I'm buying a St Croix Avid spin rod. It's model AVS66LF2. It's rated for 4-8lb line. I'm going to use it for steams, rivers, ponds, and lakes.

In case I get lucky and hook into something big. How big a fish would it take for this rod to fail? Meaning blow up, or not enough balls to land the fish.

I'll probably use 10lb Power Pro on it.
I've caught 7-8 pike and lots of bass and sunfish plus a catfish with a rod like that. It just depends on how you fight them!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in