Zebra Mussels at Pueblo! - Page 6 - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2008, 08:46 AM   #51 (permalink)

Default Re: Zebra Mussels at Pueblo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfowler
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishnPhil

bferg, I saw that too on sunday morning!
When have you guys ever watched any TV show that they weren't reeling in Pigs on every cast? ... besides Mountain States Fishing which is what I would call a more realistic program.
Columbia Country has some decent shows , but the show that I used to enjoy that is no longer active was .... Fishing the West , with Larry Shoenborn .

Maynard G Krebs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2008, 11:23 AM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
When have you guys ever watched any TV show that they weren't reeling in Pigs on every cast? ... besides Mountain States Fishing which is what I would call a more realistic program.
Yeah, I recognize that the shows on TV are not "real" most of them are shot over days and days of fishing. BUT: I have seen a lot of shows devoted to smallies and Lake Erie, even by exaggerated T.V. standards, has some huge fish and they feed on Zebra Mussels.

As far as Mountain States goes, I love what Terry does for anglers here in CO but that show looks like a 7th grade media class put it together. I don't expect it to be in HD (although that is not as expensive any more) and catching world class fish on every class- but some simple things like having Terry stand where we can see his face and using some cut-away shots instead of dissolving between two shots of him standing in the same place is not too much to ask.

Realistic: Sure, but it can be down right painful to watch.
bferg_80002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2008, 11:48 AM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bferg_80002
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, I recognize that the shows on TV are not "real" most of them are shot over days and days of fishing. BUT: I have seen a lot of shows devoted to smallies and Lake Erie, even by exaggerated T.V. standards, has some huge fish and they feed on Zebra Mussels.

As far as Mountain States goes, I love what Terry does for anglers here in CO but that show looks like a 7th grade media class put it together. I don't expect it to be in HD (although that is not as expensive any more) and catching world class fish on every class- but some simple things like having Terry stand where we can see his face and using some cut-away shots instead of dissolving between two shots of him standing in the same place is not too much to ask.

Realistic: Sure, but it can be down right painful to watch.
I understand what you are saying. But in regards to great small mouth fishing, you don't need a zebra mussel to help out. I have pictures of a few stringers of (5) fish weighing 3-5lbs a piece from Lake Margrethe, Lake Missauke and Green Lake in Michigan. A guy my dad works with fishes for them exclusively all over the Great Lakes region from Michigan to Minnesota. They are much more prevalent than the large mouth in the northern states. The point being that someone could put a list two pages long of great small mouth fishing in MN, WI and MI and it is not because of the zebra mussel.

The sand flats in western Lake Superior were producing trophy fish before this mussel problem arose.

I just don't like seeing the selfish aspect I have been reading as this is a lot more damaging to a lake and fishery and people just seem to care about the chance of improving the fishing for one species. If you guys want a trophy small mouth lake similar to what you have at Stagecoach with Pike, convey that to the DOW.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:57 AM   #54 (permalink)

WF:
I did not mean to imply that you "have to have zebra mussles" to have huge smallies- I just happened to see that show on Sunday.

And I agree completely that this is probably more damaging than good for the fishing at Pueblo. If you read my first reply I said "this is not a GOOD thing" and that other fish could suffer...

The fact that the Zebra Mussles are there is not good for Pueblo- how bad it will be I don't know but no one, but there is no way this can be a good thing in the long term/big picture.
bferg_80002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2008, 12:15 PM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bferg_80002
WF:
I did not mean to imply that you "have to have zebra mussles" to have huge smallies- I just happened to see that show on Sunday.

And I agree completely that this is probably more damaging than good for the fishing at Pueblo. If you read my first reply I said "this is not a GOOD thing" and that other fish could suffer...

The fact that the Zebra Mussles are there is not good for Pueblo- how bad it will be I don't know but no one, but there is no way this can be a good thing in the long term/big picture.
You are right, I didn't re-read that part. I just hope for the sake of all of the other fisheries here that this can be contained for a long length of time before spreading. What has helped the Great Lakes region is that many of the larger boats that frequent the Big Water are too large to fish from on the smaller 2,500 acre and less lakes.

I will continue to keep my fingers crossed on this one.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:00 PM   #56 (permalink)

I have to say that there are some larger watercraft on the Great Lakes, but the majority are average size boats that you see EVERYWHERE. I`d also like to add that that fishing show was no b.s.- the last time I fished at Olcott harbor on lake Ontario I caught 7 smallies between 3 & 5 1/2 lbs. in about a 35 minute span just before dark. That was last July. I have also spent numerous occasions on the upper Niagara river & l. Erie with plenty of the same quality size class fish. That smallmouth fishery is one of the best in the country, 7 lb. smallies are not uncommon.
fish fetish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2008, 01:22 PM   #57 (permalink)
Just Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish fetish
I have to say that there are some larger watercraft on the Great Lakes, but the majority are average size boats that you see EVERYWHERE. I`d also like to add that that fishing show was no b.s.- the last time I fished at Olcott harbor on lake Ontario I caught 7 smallies between 3 & 5 1/2 lbs. in about a 35 minute span just before dark. That was last July. I have also spent numerous occasions on the upper Niagara river & l. Erie with plenty of the same quality size class fish. That smallmouth fishery is one of the best in the country, 7 lb. smallies are not uncommon.
...The larger commercial boats in the great lakes are what gets the species delivered and spread...that's a problem that we've had for a while.

My understanding is that the boats are balanced by water ballasts...if you have a heavy load on one side of the boat, you need something to offset the weight on the other side of the boat, so they fill the tanks with water or remove the water from the tanks. What's happening is you may have a boat fill a tank in Panama or some other place in the world, then make a delivery somewhere in the great lakes. The water gets drained from the tank as the boat needs balancing and you have instant introductions of different things not native to the area.

Pueblo has a lot of mid-sized boats and from the locations painted on the sterns I've seen in the marinas, those boats come from everywhere around the country...from Michigan to California. A boat of that size, with an intake manifold used to cool an engine (or two) can transport water, with living organisms in it, only to be discharged when the boat is started at the new destination. It isn't just scrubbing your boat and trailer down and I know of nobody since I left areas of saltwater that flushes their motor after a trip.

Many recreational ski boats, and jet skiers, have jet motors that suck water in and push water out to make the craft move. If it isn't winter, then they generally don't completely drain the boat motor when moving from one area to another.

As many have said, if it's in Pueblo, it's only a matter of time before it gets everywhere, and I'm willing to bet that it will spread to the warmwater, low elevation lakes first because they are more comfortable to ski in (you get more boat traffic, and you get more boats that can retain water being transported from place to place).

As my grandfather says....we'll cross that bridge when we get there.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2008, 09:35 PM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard G Krebs
Quote:
Quote:

Columbia Country has some decent shows , but the show that I used to enjoy that is no longer active was .... Fishing the West , with Larry Shoenborn .

the fishing hole, with jerry mcguiness

Said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat i
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2008, 01:13 AM   #59 (permalink)

We will be doing collections, sampling, etc. to find specific locations of colonies and area of infestation. I will keep you posted.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in