Glenwood Springs named best place for Anglers to live - Field & Stream. - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2008, 01:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Glenwood Springs named best place for Anglers to live - Field & Stream.

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=84688

GLENWOOD SPRINGS A Colorado community is ranked number one in a list of America's top 20 fishing towns.

In its February issue, Field and Stream magazine polled the nation's top angling professionals. Their consensus was that Glenwood Springs, where the Roaring Fork and Colorado Rivers merge, is the best place to live if you love to fish.

Field and Stream says: "You'd be hard-pressed to find a better combination of gold-medal water, blue-sky climate and stunning canyon-scapes anywhere in the world besides Glenwood Springs."

The magazine says Glenwood has the best fly fishing in Colorado and its location makes it only a day trip to the Eagle River, the Frying Pan and the Gunnison. The magazine also says you can even fish in Glenwood in the dead of winter.

The top five on the list:

1. Glenwood Springs, Colo.
2. Mountain Home, Ark.
3. Traverse City, Mich.
4. Bozeman, Mont.
5. Minocqua, Wis.

The February issue of Field and Stream hits newsstands next Wednesday.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Glenwood Springs named best place for Anglers to live - Field & Stream.

Very interesting. I will have to do some reading on how they determine the rankings.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Glenwood Springs named best place for Anglers to live - Field & Stream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfowler
Very interesting. I will have to do some reading on how they determine the rankings.
I know, I hate Glenwood - but figured I'd post it and see what the community here thought.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimer
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfowler
I know, I hate Glenwood - but figured I'd post it and see what the community here thought.
Yeah, I am not saying it is wrong because I have never lived there but I did grow up 50 miles from Traverse City and consider it a place which offers much more diverse fishing opportunities.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'd live in the area, it is fishing heaven, didn't need anyone to tell me that, seeing was believing when I've been there fishing.

I guess as a subtitle to that they should have said "also one of the most expensive places to live".

Old 01-18-2008, 02:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

I dont doubt it.
Frying pan
Fork
Colorado
Eagle

All offer great fishing so close to eachother.
edwardslocal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2008, 03:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TroutFishingBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwardslocal
I dont doubt it.
Frying pan
Fork
Colorado
Eagle

All offer great fishing so close to eachother.
plus some of the fattest pike in the US at harvey gap and rifle gap are only about a 20 min drive.

[quote author=ptaft link=topic=42422.msg488400#msg488400 date=1236743995]
I say if it catches fish throw it!
[/quote]
TroutFishingBear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2008, 03:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

I think the pan and roaring fork are the main reasons why, but personally I don't even think it's one of the best places in CO. With the high cost of living there and the influx of Aspen-wannabe's I'd expect it to be in something more like Outside or one of the fly fishing pubs more than I would in F&S.
GrnMtn Eye Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2008, 03:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

There are so many places in this country that offer great big water (fresh or salt), lakes/reservoir and river fishing opportunities in a lot smaller radius than what you find in Glenwood. But then again, I have only lived in 5 or so different states.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

I don't think anyone could ever determine the best place to live if you like to fish. They polled some pro's which means they polled some fly fishing guides. What about pike fisherman, musky hunters, bass fisherman, walleye guys etc...

It's just like them picking out the 50 best lures of all time. I can't imagine thats anything more than the editorial staff sitting down drinking some beers and putting a list together....

Nothing more than something entertaining to read.
carpnuts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in