Florida Surf Fishing - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2008, 08:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Florida Surf Fishing

Anyone out here have info or experience fishing along the beaches in Florida, specifically on the Gulf Coast? I'm heading down there for two weeks in June, staying on the coast outside of Tampa. Basically, I'm just planning to fish in the surf where the family is staying.

Went a couple years ago and caught a bunch of small sharks and stingrays with squid meat on the bottom, but not much else. Had my fly rod as well as spinning gear but couldn't seem to get any action on any of the lures/flies I was using.
mtman12672 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2008, 09:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Florida Surf Fishing

i used to live in florida and did alot of surf fishing. i did i lived along the atlantic side. we caught mostly whiting. i have caught snook and reds off the beach as well. i always used live shrimp or sand fleas for bait. usually used a flounder rig on the bottom. as for fly fishing i did do that, but i always had to go at sunup when the surf was very low and i would sight cast to the bluefish and tarpon hitting the baitfish. used a mullet pattern fly or shrimp pattern.if you do get some whiting they are great to eat, very white meat.also we also get pompano as well. we always fished just over the wave break. we never casted out as far as we could. always had the best luck just over the waves. use as little weight as posssable. just enough to keep you down on bottom. i used light line maybe 12 lb and as little weight as i could. my bait would drift a little in the current, but not to much. also we always had the best luck with the tide at bottom just starting to rise.low tide starting to come back up. one last thought use at least 20-30 lb leader.if you are not getting hits then try lighter leader, lighter weight. if still nothing try to move down the beach. you would be amazed what walking down the beach 100 yards will do. also if you are still not getting any luck then try the opposit tide from where you are.i always found low tide rising to be the best on the atlantic side. good luck
goldman812 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2008, 09:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

now if i could only figure out how to freshwater fish here in colorado and ice fish would be great.
goldman812 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2008, 09:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

Please post this in the Florida fishing section not the Colorado Fishing section
[me=JAY] [/me]
NeWcS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2008, 10:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

Personally I would go wade or kayak pine island sound. It's one of my favorite places on that side. Monster tarpon, snook, seatrout, and redfish with the occasional shark mixed in. I can also put you on some grouper in that area that will yank you pretty good in a kayak as you try and turn them before they get into the rocks....

Not sure what area your staying in as the Tampa beach area is large.

In tampa..... I always liked terra verde (sp?)

For regular surf casting for whatever I would use a long surf rod with 12lb mono. Braid doesn't hold of well against sand surf fishing

Sanibel/ captiva offers some big sharks at night off the beach....

A lot go fish off the old sunshine skyway bridge.....

Check out www.floridasportsman.com and you will find fishing reports from members of whats biting and what to use in the area.

If you have time and want to drive over to Miami/ Ft Lauderdale I can put you on a bunch of butterfly peacock bass...

Hope you have fun....

lambdebois is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2008, 11:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

here's the places I always had luck in (I used to live out in bradenton, st. petersburg, sarasota)

Casey key pier right outside of nokomis/venice....

Longboat pass/anne marie island area - there are HUGE sheepieheads and reds that cruise the shallows behind the beach area.

Tierra Verde and fort desoto - Huge seatrout and reds that cruise the shallows. just wade out there to a spot during high tide, look for fish jumping and darting away and have a ball.

The best Thing I used was a setup with a float, and a smaller hook with shrimp..... or any lure that imitates a shrimp. 12 pound mono worked fine for me... just set your drag pretty light. pretty much, shrimp will catch you anything you want out there. plus if you fish from shore YOU DON'T NEED A LICENSE!!
LAKESTER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2008, 12:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

oh yea, if you don't mind the 2 and a half hour drive east... take FL highway 70 to sebastian on the atlantic coast. they have a massive jetty that takes you way out in the ocean, and you can catch anything from huge snook (saw snook of up to 40 pounds come out of there), shark and jew-fish.

plus the indian river lagoon has a network of waterways and backwater mangroves just behind the beach... which is wicked for seatrout and reds. I will go as far as to say the indian river area is the best inshore saltwater fishing in all of florida.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
OG LOKE

I miss surf fishing. Brings back great memories of grandpa and i fishing
Old 01-20-2008, 12:49 AM   #9 (permalink)

I miss Florida totally....

One day though, I will move back there.

till then, it's kitties and lakelords for me.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKESTER
here's the places I always had luck in (I used to live out in bradenton, st. petersburg, sarasota)

Casey key pier right outside of nokomis/venice....

Longboat pass/anne marie island area - there are HUGE sheepieheads and reds that cruise the shallows behind the beach area.

Tierra Verde and fort desoto - Huge seatrout and reds that cruise the shallows. just wade out there to a spot during high tide, look for fish jumping and darting away and have a ball.

The best Thing I used was a setup with a float, and a smaller hook with shrimp..... or any lure that imitates a shrimp. 12 pound mono worked fine for me... just set your drag pretty light. pretty much, shrimp will catch you anything you want out there. plus if you fish from shore YOU DON'T NEED A LICENSE!!
Lakester we have a vacation home right on the north corner of the venice/nokomis jetty. Best fishing in the country is in-shore fishing in florida IMO. I fish the beach alot and a 3/4 oz kasty with white bucktail works Great. If you time the tides or early morning silver black rattle traps. Bait though works the best in forida. Use 1/2 oz jigs and tip everything with a piece of shrimp or just free line shrimp or green backs. Also watch the birds and if they are going nuts and you can reach the area from shore or wading out you will hook up.
Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in