State Record Bass Question - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2008, 10:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default State Record Bass Question

What body of water do you think will give up the next state record for LM bass for both weight(kept), and the c & r record?

carpnuts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2008, 10:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: State Record Bass Question

Probably a private pond/lake. With our shorter growing season here in CO C&R is a must for a largemouth to get over 10 lbs. I bet there are some private places out there with fish feeders that have already given up a new state record-they just keep quiet about it.

I used to fish a series of private ponds out east of CS and we routinely caught crappie up to and over the state record mark. Nobody ever had them certified by the state. There are alot of closely guarded secrets out there because the owners/members would'nt want to put up with the encroachment issues/trespassers if they reported the catch.

Advice. Wise men don't need it, fools won't heed it.
kirbydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2008, 10:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

I still think it's wierd that a state record can be given for a catch in a private pond. I think they should have two sets of records one for public bodies of water and private bodies of water.

I fish a number of private ponds that have really nice fish, and I'd never submit a record fish. Not in fear of giving away the location of a certain pond, but IMHO it would ruin the record.

The RMA has record breaking fish, but it's all catch and release so a RMA fish could only break the C & R record which it already holds at 27 inches.

I've heard rumors about Carter, Cherry Creek, and Quincy all have bass over 10 pounds. I know a few small ponds that are public that have potential with a great forage base and bass up to 8 pounds that I've caught in the past, but again the growing season still limits things so maybe 8-9 pounds is the biggest bass that swim in these particular ponds.
carpnuts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2008, 04:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

I think you need to try harder.
LAKESTER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2008, 11:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
tc

Bass Pro Shops' tank. Actually... there are some hand held scales that are certifiable. As for the RMA, all you need is a witness and a person in an official capacity who works out there to weigh the fish on your hand held certified scale and I believe you could submit it for a state record.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

theres a good chance of it going down this year! I did some habbit improvment today, to kill some time before the games!
denverbassman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2008, 06:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
kurtopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpnuts
I still think it's wierd that a state record can be given for a catch in a private pond. I think they should have two sets of records one for public bodies of water and private bodies of water.
I agree. I cant remember which state it was i fished last year, but their regs noted that records cannot come from private ponds. Had to be Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, New Mexico, Wisconsin, or was it Alberta Canada? cant remember.

Hell, I can raise a record Walleye in a tank, say its a private pond! lol. However, I think I would be broke in feeding it before it became a record.

I did know a guy once who had some nice bluegill in his aquarium though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2008, 09:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

With the growth rate in Colorado, in combo with warm water fishing pressure, NO LB will come from public waters. Although many people clam to have caught fish close to the record. Same people picking LBs off beds, claming to have 50 fish days.
PondFrogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2008, 11:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

biggest ive seen caught was 8.8lb and it was public, herd rumors from a friend, that they had one under the boat close to ten, it was also public!
rma could be the place, also, lakes that have warm water springs, kindof like the ponds money, could do it!
Old 01-22-2008, 12:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PondFrogg
With the growth rate in Colorado, in combo with warm water fishing pressure, NO LB will come from public waters. Although many people clam to have caught fish close to the record. Same people picking LBs off beds, claming to have 50 fish days.

if your refering to me, when i pick them from beds, i catch way more than fifty!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in