Fishing Spots Near Ft. Morgan Colorado - Colorado Fishing Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2008, 09:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
rvinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 6,684
Default Fishing Spots Near Ft. Morgan Colorado

I am new to this forum as I have just recently moved to co from arizona. Just wanna say Hello to all. I live in Littleton, Co. But The question i have is actually reguarding places to fish around Ft. Morgan. My dad just moved up to Ft. Morgan last night and I was wanting to do a little research into where the best places to fish are in that area. My dad likes to fish for a variety of species so any type is fine for a start. Thanks allot for taking the time to view my post hopefully I will have some fishing reports of my own to post in the near future.
__________________
One planet, one experiment. - Edward O. Wilson
rvinson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-25-2008, 09:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,131
Default Re: Fishing Spots Near Ft. Morgan Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvinson
I am new to this forum as I have just recently moved to co from arizona. Just wanna say Hello to all. I live in Littleton, Co. But The question i have is actually reguarding places to fish around Ft. Morgan. My dad just moved up to Ft. Morgan last night and I was wanting to do a little research into where the best places to fish are in that area. My dad likes to fish for a variety of species so any type is fine for a start. Thanks allot for taking the time to view my post hopefully I will have some fishing reports of my own to post in the near future.
Welcome to the site--you have some pretty decent spots to fish in that area. Jackson Res, Prewitt Res, and Sterling Res--there might be other spots but that's what I know and have fished in that area.
__________________
Goals for Winter?

Anything bigger than what I have caught!

da_teacher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2008, 09:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Just Ed
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Fishing Spots Near Ft. Morgan Colorado

1) Prewitt State Wildlife Area - great in the spring for catfish, wiper, and sometimes walleye.

2) North Sterling State Park - over the past couple of years the wiper have been small but it's coming back. I've had some great times out there.

3) Jackson Lake State Park - lots of skeeters in the summer (wear bug repellant). My experience is the lake is either on or off. If it's on, it's really on

4) Brush Ponds State Wildlife Area - great place to walk the shore and do some warmwater fishing

5) Drive up to Brush, take 71 north towards Snyder, just before you get to the Platte River, there's a State Wildlife Area with a couple of ponds (can't remember the name). One pond is for kids only, the other is for everyone else. Usually stocked in the spring with rainbows and usually the rainbows disappear quickly from the locals keeping the fish but there are also some bigger fish in there - don't let the size of the pond deceive you, it's about 30 feet deep.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-25-2008, 09:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
rvinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 6,684
Default Re: Fishing Spots Near Ft. Morgan Colorado

Awesome, What type of fish are in those places. What are the primary species for each loc. also are those places frozen over?
__________________
One planet, one experiment. - Edward O. Wilson
rvinson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2008, 09:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Just Ed
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Fishing Spots Near Ft. Morgan Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvinson
Awesome, What type of fish are in those places. What are the primary species for each loc. also are those places frozen over?
Here's a link to the DOW regulations and property directory that will give you info specific to each place....

http://wildlife.state.co.us/NR/rdonl...shbrochure.pdf

yes - they are all currently frozen to some degree (the regulations should tell you if ice fishing is allowed).
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2008, 09:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
rvinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 6,684
Default Re: Fishing Spots Near Ft. Morgan Colorado

Thanks allot Just Ed I really apreciate any info I can get. This site is awesome.
__________________
One planet, one experiment. - Edward O. Wilson
rvinson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2008, 10:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
rvinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 6,684
Default Re: Fishing Spots Near Ft. Morgan Colorado

Are those lakes over ther frozen or is there still open water this time of year.
__________________
One planet, one experiment. - Edward O. Wilson
rvinson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2008, 10:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,730
Default Re: Fishing Spots Near Ft. Morgan Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Ed
1) Prewitt State Wildlife Area - great in the spring for catfish, wiper, and sometimes walleye.

2) North Sterling State Park - over the past couple of years the wiper have been small but it's coming back. I've had some great times out there.

3) Jackson Lake State Park - lots of skeeters in the summer (wear bug repellant). My experience is the lake is either on or off. If it's on, it's really on

4) Brush Ponds State Wildlife Area - great place to walk the shore and do some warmwater fishing

5) Drive up to Brush, take 71 north towards Snyder, just before you get to the Platte River, there's a State Wildlife Area with a couple of ponds (can't remember the name). One pond is for kids only, the other is for everyone else. Usually stocked in the spring with rainbows and usually the rainbows disappear quickly from the locals keeping the fish but there are also some bigger fish in there - don't let the size of the pond deceive you, it's about 30 feet deep.
I believe that is cottonwood SWA area. The ponds are technically not on the SWA as far as I remember. Never fished it. I noticed people icing one of those ponds last year while goose hunting.
__________________
Fish on!
jclay0429 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2008, 11:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
rvinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 6,684
Default Re: Fishing Spots Near Ft. Morgan Colorado

I have been trying to search for some reports from those lakes that are recent but am having some trouble finding any.
__________________
One planet, one experiment. - Edward O. Wilson
rvinson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2008, 11:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
Just Ed
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Fishing Spots Near Ft. Morgan Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclay0429
I believe that is cottonwood SWA area. The ponds are technically not on the SWA as far as I remember. Never fished it. I noticed people icing one of those ponds last year while goose hunting.
Cottonwood is across the street and runs along the Platte. There is another name for it (it's posted at the entrance) but the name escapes me and I can't find it on the map.

The ponds are maintained by the local high school and (I think) the 4H Club. I've never iced them but I've fished them and caught fish from them.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fishing Spots??? redneckoffutt Colorado Fishing Lounge 2 07-07-2009 01:40 AM
Question - fishing spots around Colorado City slimer Colorado Fishing Lounge 2 01-14-2008 11:44 AM
Fishing Spots Near Colorado Springs?? fishhead Colorado Fishing Lounge 7 08-17-2005 04:39 PM

» Forum Search
» Insurance
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL3
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.