Fishing Spots Near Ft. Morgan Colorado - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2008, 09:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fishing Spots Near Ft. Morgan Colorado

I am new to this forum as I have just recently moved to co from arizona. Just wanna say Hello to all. I live in Littleton, Co. But The question i have is actually reguarding places to fish around Ft. Morgan. My dad just moved up to Ft. Morgan last night and I was wanting to do a little research into where the best places to fish are in that area. My dad likes to fish for a variety of species so any type is fine for a start. Thanks allot for taking the time to view my post hopefully I will have some fishing reports of my own to post in the near future.
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2008, 09:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Fishing Spots Near Ft. Morgan Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvinson
I am new to this forum as I have just recently moved to co from arizona. Just wanna say Hello to all. I live in Littleton, Co. But The question i have is actually reguarding places to fish around Ft. Morgan. My dad just moved up to Ft. Morgan last night and I was wanting to do a little research into where the best places to fish are in that area. My dad likes to fish for a variety of species so any type is fine for a start. Thanks allot for taking the time to view my post hopefully I will have some fishing reports of my own to post in the near future.
Welcome to the site--you have some pretty decent spots to fish in that area. Jackson Res, Prewitt Res, and Sterling Res--there might be other spots but that's what I know and have fished in that area.

Anything bigger than what I have caught!

da_teacher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2008, 09:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Just Ed

1) Prewitt State Wildlife Area - great in the spring for catfish, wiper, and sometimes walleye.

2) North Sterling State Park - over the past couple of years the wiper have been small but it's coming back. I've had some great times out there.

3) Jackson Lake State Park - lots of skeeters in the summer (wear bug repellant). My experience is the lake is either on or off. If it's on, it's really on

4) Brush Ponds State Wildlife Area - great place to walk the shore and do some warmwater fishing

5) Drive up to Brush, take 71 north towards Snyder, just before you get to the Platte River, there's a State Wildlife Area with a couple of ponds (can't remember the name). One pond is for kids only, the other is for everyone else. Usually stocked in the spring with rainbows and usually the rainbows disappear quickly from the locals keeping the fish but there are also some bigger fish in there - don't let the size of the pond deceive you, it's about 30 feet deep.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2008, 09:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Awesome, What type of fish are in those places. What are the primary species for each loc. also are those places frozen over?
Old 01-25-2008, 09:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Just Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvinson
Awesome, What type of fish are in those places. What are the primary species for each loc. also are those places frozen over?
Here's a link to the DOW regulations and property directory that will give you info specific to each place....

http://wildlife.state.co.us/NR/rdonl...shbrochure.pdf

yes - they are all currently frozen to some degree (the regulations should tell you if ice fishing is allowed).
Old 01-25-2008, 09:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks allot Just Ed I really apreciate any info I can get. This site is awesome.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

Are those lakes over ther frozen or is there still open water this time of year.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Ed
1) Prewitt State Wildlife Area - great in the spring for catfish, wiper, and sometimes walleye.

2) North Sterling State Park - over the past couple of years the wiper have been small but it's coming back. I've had some great times out there.

3) Jackson Lake State Park - lots of skeeters in the summer (wear bug repellant). My experience is the lake is either on or off. If it's on, it's really on

4) Brush Ponds State Wildlife Area - great place to walk the shore and do some warmwater fishing

5) Drive up to Brush, take 71 north towards Snyder, just before you get to the Platte River, there's a State Wildlife Area with a couple of ponds (can't remember the name). One pond is for kids only, the other is for everyone else. Usually stocked in the spring with rainbows and usually the rainbows disappear quickly from the locals keeping the fish but there are also some bigger fish in there - don't let the size of the pond deceive you, it's about 30 feet deep.
I believe that is cottonwood SWA area. The ponds are technically not on the SWA as far as I remember. Never fished it. I noticed people icing one of those ponds last year while goose hunting.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

I have been trying to search for some reports from those lakes that are recent but am having some trouble finding any.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
Just Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclay0429
I believe that is cottonwood SWA area. The ponds are technically not on the SWA as far as I remember. Never fished it. I noticed people icing one of those ponds last year while goose hunting.
Cottonwood is across the street and runs along the Platte. There is another name for it (it's posted at the entrance) but the name escapes me and I can't find it on the map.

The ponds are maintained by the local high school and (I think) the 4H Club. I've never iced them but I've fished them and caught fish from them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in