What type of....... - Colorado Fishing Forum

View Poll Results: What type of rod blank do you like?
IM6 12 27.27%
IM7 11 25.00%
IM8 9 20.45%
Fiberglass 3 6.82%
E-Glass 2 4.55%
Other 7 15.91%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2008, 09:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What type of.......

Just Wondering(Again! )
I like IM8 rods because they are super light, sensitive, and I like the action of the rod! The thing I don't like about IM8 is the price($79.99 is the cheapest I've ever seen....except when I got mine on sale for $49.99! )
Thanks!
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2008, 10:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: What type of.......

I will fish with an IM7 if I have to, but I prefer the IM6 rods the best. They just feel right to me, and they have the right amount of whip that I like.

I have tried out IM8s in the store and probably will never buy one. They are way too stiff and unyielding for my taste, and they feel brittle. I always feel like if I put a real bend in that rod, it will snap into a hundred pieces.

Nothing wrong with people having different opinions though, the feel of a rod is a very subjective and personal thing, that's why they sell so many different kinds.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
silent_light

I'll keep with the IM6 rods, like W.E. said, the IM7/8's are just too stiff for my likes or my style of fishing. The 7/8 would be nice for chucking huge streamers and such to pike and bass, but for 90% of Colo rivers, at least, you really don't need a rod that will launch a fly at 200mph.
I prefer a mild action with plenty of flex for rivers.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2008, 12:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

I fish with an IM6 right now and I really dig it. I may go to an IM7 soon for a little more sensitivity but I don't think I'll ever go to an 8.

Anything bigger than what I have caught!

da_teacher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2008, 12:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

I checked other.
The "IM" stands for "intermediate modulus" graphite. All my rods are "high modulus" graphite and use a different rating scale. ie. IM8 is rated at 45 million modulus I have some rods that are HM85 rated at 85 million modulus.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

I got an IM-8 Graphite rod with 50 Million Modulus.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

What do the numbers really mean, besides a price difference?
Old 01-26-2008, 05:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Here you go Jamie....I got this from another site...

from http://www.flyanglersonline.com/cst/cst010801.html

IM6 is merely a trade name for Hercules fiber of (not especially high) modulus.

Since there are no industry standards that I am aware of, there is no way to compare apples to apples, i.e. the modulus of say IM6 to one manufacturer will not be the same as the modulus of IM6 used by another manufacturer.

from Tackle Warehouse @ http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/RodSelection.html

IM6, IM7, etc.: These are trade names for particular graphite produced by the Hexcel Corporation. These numbers are not industry standards or an indication of quality, especially since other companies use the designations to refer to graphite not made by Hexcel. At best, they allow you to compare the quality of the material used to build different rods by the same manufacturer. You can be confident that the IM7 rod would use better graphite than the IM6 rod if both are made by the same manufacturer. It's more difficult to say the same about rods from two different companies, since they could be made from material from completely different manufacturers.

Modulus: As stated above, modulus refers to the stiffness of the graphite, not the amount of material used or the number of graphite fibers incorporated into the sheets. Buying a rod based solely on the modulus rating is a mistake because other factors must be considered. For instance, you don't want the stiffest rod for light line techniques or cranking. In addition, other qualities must be incorporated in the graphite itself and the rod must be designed correctly to ensure the best performance and durability of the rod. The other components that go into a quality rod can also add significantly to the cost.

From Bass Pro Shops @ http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...objectID=29385

Graphite comes in a variety of different "modulus ratings," which is the measurement that is used to describe the strength of the fibers used in the rod. The higher the modulus rating, the stronger and denser the fibers are that make up the rod. Think of it this way - as the rating goes up, the material involved goes down, allowing for a lighter weight, faster action and more sensitivity - while also maintaining it's core strength. The one downside to all of this is as the rating goes up, the brittleness in the rod increases. (Finding a common ground between features and the "brittle" factor is the key to success.)

To put this in an example, Fiberglass has a modulus rating between six and 13-million, while Graphite has a rating between 33 and 60-million. (IM6 blanks have a rating of 33-million, while IM7's are pegged at 42-million.)

hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2008, 06:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

And here's one more response from the same site..

IM = Intermediate Modulus

HM = High Modulus

The first thing you should know is there is no industry standard for IM6, IM7and IM8. Rather, it’s a “range” that manufacturers use to classify their rods according to the “modulus” content. Modulus is a term that describes the stiffness to weight ratio of the graphite that’s used to create the rod blank. Here’s how it works….when you cast a lure, the rod flexes with the weight of the lure, storing energy as it flexes. When the motion of the rod stops, the rod flexes and releases all of its stored energy to propel the lure. When you increase the modulus of the graphite, you increase the ability of that graphite to store and release energy. You also increase the speed that the rod releases the stored energy. That in turn, increases the lure speed that is generated in the cast. Increase the modulus and you increase the reaction speed and power of the rod blank.

Below is a general example of modulus ratings using G Loomis classes:
GLX - 65 million modulus
IMX - 55 million modulus
GL3 - 47 million modulus (IM
GL2 - 42 million modulus (IM7)
IM6 - 38 million modulus
Standard Graphite - 33 million modulus

Unfortunately, increased modulus results in increased costs. The highest modulus graphite material costs as much as ten times more than standard graphite. The drawback with increased modulus is the rod blank tends to be somewhat “brittle” and more likely to break from impact fracture, such as dropping the rod on a hard surface. If you tend be abusive with your gear, it would be wise to back away from the top modulus rods and choose something in the mid range that will offer more durability. Before you purchase a rod, especially the high priced, high modulus, be sure that it is backed by a lifetime warranty.

and more

Graphite is the most common rod material today, and is the lightest and strongest material. However, there are many varieties of graphite, depending on manufacturing quality and process, and thus graphite rods range widely in cost. Graphite rods, especially higher-end models, tend to be thin and a susceptible to breaking if they are chipped, scratched, or cracked. Lower-end graphite rods, these days, are probably almost as durable as fiberglass rods. Most high-end rods have lifetime warranties, partly because they do tend to break more often. Below are some explanations of rod materials:

From Ralph Heidecke: Types of Graphite (IM6 etc) [from Brian Costlow, posted this back in April 1998]

IM6 is a 'Grade' of Magnamite, a graphite product of Hercules Inc. BASF makes a similar product, as well as others. The important thing about IM6, IM7, IM8 ratings for fishing applications is the tensile modulus. Most dept. store rods that are graphite composites are around 30-35 million psi tensile modulus. The IM is a shorthand for that tensile rating. IM6 = 40 million IM7 = 41 million IM8 = 45 million Tensile modulus briefly is: (Courtesy Owens-Corning) "When a bar is pulled in tension, it has to get longer. The tensile modulus is used to calculate how much longer it will get when a certain load is applied to it. Units are normally millions of pounds per square inch. Higher numbers indicate materials which will not elongate as much as others when they are being compared under equal tensile loading conditions." That elongation, or elasticity, is what allows the rod to spring and bend back.

So (grossly oversimpifying) a rod made of IM6 can be built with similar strength and flex characteristics to a rod that uses cheaper material, while making the tube wall thinner, which in theory makes the rod lighter and more sensitive. On the other hand, just because a rod is built using IM6 does not mean it's a great rod. Exactly how the material is laid up in the blank, whether any other material (other graphite composites, fiberglass, aramid and gel-spun polys for instance) the taper, length, all go towards making a good blank. These things also affect the action (fast or slow taper). Then to make a good rod, you have to worry about the seat and handle, and how it's connected, guide material and so on.

hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2008, 06:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

WOW!

All I can say is, couldn't tell you without looking at them. But mine have all caught fish!!

I know, call me the anti-fisherman because I don't know

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in