IMPORTANAT FOR YOU TO KNOW - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2008, 09:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
laker taker

Default IMPORTANAT FOR YOU TO KNOW

I attended a regional meeting with North Eastern Kansas fiashery biologists last night.
They have found zebra muscles in the second largest lake in Kansas. That is the Republican river drainage that now has them. The Arkansas drainage found them in 2003.

The lake that they were originally found in in 2003 EXPLODED in leass than 2 years. I mean EXPLODED!! These critters are devastating to so much more than just your fishery. They figure it would cost in the neighborhood of 50 million to kill them in El Dorado lake in Kansas with little chance they won't come back. Colorado lakes are predominantly water supply sources for drinking water. State and local governments will end up spending millions to battle these things.

What I'm saying is,,,, you CANNOT wait until they are in your state to take precations. Do some research and do your part to protect the lakes in Colorado. YOU DO NOT WANT THESE THINGS.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2008, 09:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: IMPORTANAT FOR YOU TO KNOW

Yes I do.
LAKESTER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2008, 09:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

I love walking along shorelines of our reservoirs and cutting my feet. it's a tyler durdin thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2008, 11:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

so they were in the ark drainage down kansas way in 03 and now we have them in pueblo. so if they found them now in the republican drainage down kansas way, should only be a few years till they move on up the republican drainage in CO, what lakes and res are on the republican drainage here? enjoy them now before its too late

Said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat i
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2008, 11:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

soon they will crawl through your drainpipes and sit with you while you are watching "girls next door".
Old 01-26-2008, 12:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Don In Denver

They were recently discovered in Pueblo Reservoir. They hitchike on boats, trailers, in live well water, even in the cooling water in your motor. The only way to preventb the spread is thorough cleaning of your boat, motor, and trailer after fishing an infested lake and before going to another.

From CDOW-
All boaters and other water craft recreational users should take simple, precautionary steps every time they go to a lake, river or stream.

Before leaving a lake or other waterway, always:

CLEAN the hull of your boat.

DRAIN the water from the boat, livewell and the lower unit of the engine.

DRY the boat, fishing gear, and equipment.

INSPECT all exposed surfaces.

REMOVE all plant and animal material.

The primary method of overland dispersal of these mussels is through human-related activities. Given their ability to attach to hard surfaces and survive out of water, many infestations have occurred by adult mussels hitching rides on watercraft. The microscopic larvae also can be transported in bilges, ballast water, live wells, or any other equipment that holds water.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2008, 12:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

When I get the canoe back in the water...what I want to know is...even though they are very small...can I eat them?
Old 01-26-2008, 01:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dloring
When I get the canoe back in the water...what I want to know is...even though they are very small...can I eat them?

sure you can, just do like the SO CAL natives did with donax, boil em up in a stew in the shell and eat em up. you wont digest the shell, but they are small enough to pass through with out any problems. hey it worked for them

Said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat i
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2008, 02:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Sweet! If I find any, I'll be sure to harvest the whole lot! Steamed in butter, olive oil, parsley, onion, garlic...hopefully just like their big cousins!
Old 01-26-2008, 03:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ok they're here ...... hope for the best .... but expect the worst ! It doesn't matter if every boat fisherman cleaned his boat throughly , there are too many indiscriminante , ignorant , selfish pleasure boaters and jetskiers that could care less about whats under the water they use . The zebras are just one of natures other nasty tricks like tornadoes , blizzards , etc ...... they can't be prevented , just dealt with , with the best proceedures known .

:P The zebras are coming .... the zebras are coming ........ :P

Maynard G Krebs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in