Disappointing Expo! - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2008, 08:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Disappointing Expo!

Is it just me or does the Sportsmans Expo have less & less tackle each year it goes on? I remember in the old days it was the place to go to get great deals & see all the new tackle for the year? It use to be rows & rows of tackle now it has rows of outfiters & maybe if you put them all together 1 row of tackle? For the $12 entry fee I would have rather spent it at the local Fly Store or BP? The only thing that go me excited today was the great weather!! Melt that ice. Just would like to know if anyone else feels the same about the show?

Old 01-26-2008, 08:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Disappointing Expo!

Agree with most of what you said.

If you're interested in tackle shows, I hear that the ICast in Vegas is the industrie biggie.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by senatordan
Agree with most of what you said.

If you're interested in tackle shows, I hear that the ICast in Vegas is the industrie biggie.
Do you know when that is?

Old 01-26-2008, 08:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Glad I didn't go

To many people in one place for me
boondock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2008, 08:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

This site http://www.asafishing.org/asa/shows_events/icast/ says ICAST will be July 16 - July 18 this summer.

Also, if you hit ESPN's site http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/fishing/index about four or five of the *Fishing Features* on the left side of the webpage are about last Summer's ICAST.

Hey, to get back on msg, I would be remiss if I didn't point out some of the things I liked about ISE today. The bass forum in front of the aquarium was pretty good. Especially since i got some free Berkley Gulp! samples for asking a question! The kiddie pond was also pretty neat and fun to watch. Fly-tying theater was also cool. I didn't meet the tyer at 2:00, but he made the cutest mouse I have ever seen.

I agree that there were too many similar outfitters. You could be blindfolded and spin around until dizzy, then stumble in any direction and chances are you would hit either a taxidermist or someone that can hook you up with a lodge in Alaska.

Final gripe for me. Are elk bugles REALLY that hot of an item? I honestly couldn't walk three or four steps on the east side of the hall without someone bugling one of those shriekers right beside my head.

Parting shot. Did anyone check out the *Girls Gone Fly Fishing* booth? ahem. I've always said that the way to a man's rod is through his fly, but after seeing some of the GGFF pinups, my 9-weight was nowhere to be found.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

It was. although I did clean house in the eagle claw area. that was the only place hooking it up. too bad my fed ex discount wasn't worth beans there or else I would have taken more home with me.

I bought a nice heavy long rod for my mother, and got about 60 dollars worth of hooks of all kinds for about 20 dollars. my tackle box is stuffed full of packages. I can't wait for spring.

they didn't have the maps though, they ran out....
LAKESTER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2008, 09:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

the expo is the smae every year. it gets old. oh ya and the beer is way to expensive. for the price of two beers i can get a 30 pk of busch lite, and enough gas to get to boyd!!!!!!
baetisrun1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2008, 09:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Just Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock
To many people in one place for me
Ditto....it's why I don't go every year
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2008, 09:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by senatordan
This site http://www.asafishing.org/asa/shows_events/icast/ says ICAST will be July 16 - July 18 this summer.

Also, if you hit ESPN's site http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/fishing/index about four or five of the *Fishing Features* on the left side of the webpage are about last Summer's ICAST.

Hey, to get back on msg, I would be remiss if I didn't point out some of the things I liked about ISE today. The bass forum in front of the aquarium was pretty good. Especially since i got some free Berkley Gulp! samples for asking a question! The kiddie pond was also pretty neat and fun to watch. Fly-tying theater was also cool. I didn't meet the tyer at 2:00, but he made the cutest mouse I have ever seen.

I agree that there were too many similar outfitters. You could be blindfolded and spin around until dizzy, then stumble in any direction and chances are you would hit either a taxidermist or someone that can hook you up with a lodge in Alaska.

Final gripe for me. Are elk bugles REALLY that hot of an item? I honestly couldn't walk three or four steps on the east side of the hall without someone bugling one of those shriekers right beside my head.

Parting shot. Did anyone check out the *Girls Gone Fly Fishing* booth? ahem. I've always said that the way to a man's rod is through his fly, but after seeing some of the GGFF pinups, my 9-weight was nowhere to be found.
Yes I agree there was some cool stuff for the kids from the DOW. And yes the GGFF both was one of the highlites of the show!!!
Old 01-26-2008, 09:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

The kiddy pool was a blast to watch...My wife and I stood there for about an hour...What made it so funny was that all the dad's were doing the fishiing..

The kids would stand beside them, behind them, in front of them and the dad's would be down on their knees doing the fishing..They were all so serious, some real concentration...One walked by after his turn and said to his son..."Buddy, I should have had that big one...We'll come back in ten minutes and try it again."
hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in